The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I use a Mac Formatted FW Drive on PC? DAW Software
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Can I use a Mac Formatted FW Drive on PC?

I've got a bunch of sessions saved on a mac formatted drive (logic sessions, etc.) that I have to bring over to a pc.

Im basically using the drive to save a bunch of wav and mp3 files (done in Logic, but saved as wav) to bring into Sonar.

I wanna do this as an alternative to saving on dvds...

Will this work?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Yes, you can put a mac formatted drive on a modern PC and vice versa, but I wouldn't use it for recording. Weird corruptions can happen. But to transfer, it's OK.
Old 1st September 2007
I record to HFS+ formatted drives on XP with Pro Tools and MacDrive (www.mediafour.com) all the time. Works great.

Rail
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for macdrive.. works perfectly.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I checked out macdrive and it seems to be an app for windows that makes it possible to be read on a mac...?

I have a back up drive that has all my logic sessions as well as gigs of wav files that i need to hook up to a pc and use with Sonar.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

yep, macdrive is youor answer.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I recently started interning at a studio that is 100% Mac. Everything I do at home is on a PC. I purchased a Glyph external drive thinking I would be able to easily copy and transfer data. The people at Glyph told me my best bet was to use macdrive, but being a "low-ender", I had to find a cheaper solution. Well it was kind of a pain in the ass, but I was able to setup the drive to read on both O.S. I had to use Windows to create FAT32 partitions. This allows the drive to be readable on a Mac. The downside is that when I connect my drive to either OS, it shows up as 8 - 32gig drives since FAT32 partition size is limited even though the drive is 250 gigs. Other than that it has worked fine for me. I should mention that I NEVER record to it. I record to the host computer, then copy files when I'm finished.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

+1 for MacDrive! And now with PT 7.3 you can record to HFS drives from your PC...has worked flawlessly for me.

I work on a lot of projects that go back and forth between Mac and PC, and every now and then there will be a digi playback error...just delete the databases off the drive and everything will be happy again...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I checked out a friend who has it and it seems to install only for pcs.

I have a mac formatted drive with data on it already that I need to hook up to a pc just to transfer wav files.. I cant delete any of the data on it in order to reformat it to a pc.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umlaaat View Post
I checked out a friend who has it and it seems to install only for pcs.

I have a mac formatted drive with data on it already that I need to hook up to a pc just to transfer wav files.. I cant delete any of the data on it in order to reformat it to a pc.
I'm not clear on what you mean by your first sentence, but if you install MacDrive on the target PC it will transfer those files easily. I just did the same thing yesterday. Macdrive has a free five-day trial, so download it and try it out. It sure saved my a**.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
I'm not clear on what you mean by your first sentence, but if you install MacDrive on the target PC it will transfer those files easily. I just did the same thing yesterday. Macdrive has a free five-day trial, so download it and try it out. It sure saved my a**.

Cheers,
--
Don
ah.. ok.. mebbbe im as clear as mud..

i dont actually have a pc.. i have a mac and a mac formatted hd with a bunch of files that i need to transfer to a pc running sonar...

wait.. are you saying to bring the app with me to the pc, install the app then i can transfer the files???
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

the above post is not supposed to be sarcastic, if thats how it comes
Old 2nd September 2007
You install MacDrive on the Windows machine and it can read & write to your Mac formatted drive -- you don't need to do anything else on the Mac. The Mac can obviously read & write to a Mac (HFS+) formatted drive.

Rail
Old 2nd September 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Macdrive is awesome just get it!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search