The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC Electronic 2240HS 4 band EQ...? Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

TC Electronic 2240HS 4 band EQ...?

Hey all -

I have the opportunity to pick up one of these on trade for a session. Apparently it's in mint condition. I am having a REAL hard time finding any info or discussions on the web regarding this piece. I've tried manipulating the GS search engine every way imaginable and still nothing, nor in google-land, etc...

Any thoughts on this piece? Likeable and cool? What are they worth?

My outboard so far:

ART ProVLA
Ashly SC66a 4 band parametric (which I like, in all it's grainy glory)
DBX 163x (x4)
Symetrix 501

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

hey,
I have an old 2240 (not sure what the "HS" in your model stands for) and I absolutely love it. It's super fat and great for broad tonal shaping applications. It's an excellent complement to my digital EQs and my Massive Passive.

Do a search on GS for TC 2240 and you'll find a couple of posts, including one of my own. Evidently Fletcher from Mercenary really likes 'em too, foir whatever it's worth...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

mahler007 -

Thanks for the reply, the GS search function is SO PICKY. I did finally figure out how to work it and I found the threads you mentioned. Exactly the info I was after, thank you so much. Sounds like it could be a cool piece! I will hopefully be able to borrow it before that session so I can see what it sounds like in person before committing. Now I'm kinda jazzed about it! I will report back when I have played with the EQ for a while...

Thanks again mahler...
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

No problem man- I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on it once you have some time to check it out. I find it really useful on single tracks and also on bus groups. I never use it on the 2 bus, or have not yet needeed to try, but in general I just find it to be "musical" and really easy to get a nice curve out of...

Hope you dig it!

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 1st September 2007
Back when I had one, I was very disappointed with it. No vibe, and distorted very easily.

I've seince gotten into using very narrow notches of EQ on guitars and I could believe that it would be good for that.

In a barter situation, I'd give it a value of $200-400.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Back when I had one, I was very disappointed with it. No vibe, and distorted very easily.

I've seince gotten into using very narrow notches of EQ on guitars and I could believe that it would be good for that.

In a barter situation, I'd give it a value of $200-400.
That sounds about right- I paid $500 for mine on eBay about 8 years ago, intending to use it as part of a live sound rig. Ironically, I *never* started using it until about 4 months ago, as the live rig never materialized! heh Anyway, it's been clunking around with me ever since. I was enthusiastically surprised by it once I finally started using it though.

As for it distorting easily, I have not had that experience. Granted, I have never used it for extreme boosting- I tend to never boost or cut more than 5db on any given band. Still, on the occasion that I have clipped, the input gain is +/- 20 db, with an additional -inf./+6db on the output. The EQ match level also drives the EQ section with an additional +/- 16 db of gain. Even if one were to do some intense boosting, I don't really see how it couldn't be compensated for somewhere in the gain staging. I tend to run fairly hot busses to it and never need to set the input/output controls outside the 11:00-1:00 range.

As for vibe, I'm not really sure what that means, but I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure- as they say I tend to find it really useful, nice sounding, and quiet. It is, by far, the most bang for the buck piece of gear I have in my humble set-up.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey guys -

Haven't gotten to spend a whole lot of time with this thing yet, just ran a couple of mixes out of PT into the EQ and then back in. But even with minimal testing I can tell that I really really like it. It sounds very nice to me, just kind of automatically sweetens the sound a little bit. The gain section is very flexible. And the EQ functions seem very useful, like they could be broad if you want and surgical if you want. It also seems like it is going to be a very useful and creative distortion generator. I agree that it's not all that colorful, but that's exactly what I need, something nice and clear with just a hint of character.
I will definitely be keeping it in trade for my session! This is the first piece of gear for me that makes things nicer sounding just by running through it, and I have been waiting for that for a while. I'm sure there are cooler EQ's in the world with more personality that this one, but I just can't pass this up, plus the thing is in ridiculously MINT condition. I mean it looks like it came out of the box yesterday, and nary a scratchy pot on it...

So to make a long story short, I dig this thing! Thanks for the discussion everyone, and thanks Mike Caffrey for the value estimation, that was very helpful.
hehhehheh
Old 3rd September 2007
No problem.

That's great that you're really happy with it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search