The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM7b
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

Shure SM7b

I just got one and it's not exactly blowing me away. I tried it on a few singers and a guitar cab and it's not quite what I was expecting. What about the presence boost/bass cut? I didn't find the presence boost to be very useful on the few applications I used it on.
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

i see the shure sm7 as giving you a big lump of clay with everything you need to make a great sculpture just need the know how and tools(equalizer etc.) to sculpt into something beautiful. Never have I recorded my SM7 and it sounds great. But it does take to eq very well
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

Makes me feel a bit better. Everything was tracked completely flat so hopefully I can make something out of the tracks.
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

glad your were able to understand my fukked up grammar....after i re read it i'm like wtf? lol
Old 15th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
i see the shure sm7 as giving you a big lump of clay with everything you need to make a great sculpture just need the know how and tools(equalizer etc.) to sculpt into something beautiful. Never have I recorded my SM7 and it sounds great. But it does take to eq very well
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
genius description - ive done almost entire tracks with the sm-7 and its so special.
im always trying to find a very quiet mic pre for it as it needs tons of gain for vocals - too bad its my fav vocal mic. is there a mod that will change the gain structure or put it on some sort of 47 tube case and not in that german hand granade thing?????
s
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

try the mp2r by A-Designs Plenty of gain and super quiet Royer helped design it for ribbon mics...it just went up in price though
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

I have been using it through the regular MP-2. I do have to crank it with the SM7b on quiet sections. The SM7b has a freakin' low output! I can't imagine using the regular SM7.
Old 16th April 2004
Lives for gear

there supposed to be the same sonically...but e-cue claims the output is higher and its clearer refering to the B...i still like my SM7 though
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

I just got a SM7b myself and the gain is way low. To track my voice with it through my MP2NV I have to nail to input and output, which kind of limits the pallete a little bit. It's a good sound, but still not enough gain for my liking...

I was going to toss up a post about this but thought I'd just tag along in this one. I haven't tried it with my RNP yet, so perhaps it'll be a little more hot.

Having said that, the one tune I used it on was a rock-ish tune and it was just "the" sound. Perfecto. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.
Old 17th April 2004
Jax
Lives for gear

Hmm... I gotta get a 7b. My GR MP-2 (not NV) can overload my converters with KM184's even if it's turned all the way down. The two of them should play nice together.
Old 17th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by infiniteposse
I just got a SM7b myself and the gain is way low. To track my voice with it through my MP2NV I have to nail to input and output, which kind of limits the pallete a little bit. It's a good sound, but still not enough gain for my liking...

I was going to toss up a post about this but thought I'd just tag along in this one. I haven't tried it with my RNP yet, so perhaps it'll be a little more hot.

Having said that, the one tune I used it on was a rock-ish tune and it was just "the" sound. Perfecto. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more.
at 60 db of gain on my rnp i find i get a decent signal to record on my sm7 at 66db the noise floor is too high for vox IMO...MP@r changed that super quiet and clean
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search