The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why does everybody hate Genelec 1031As? Studio Monitors
Old 11th May 2016
Hard sound and fatiguing is how I describe them. Meyer HD-1's sound much better.
Old 11th May 2016
I don't think they make them any more so it's worth evaluating their latest offerings IMHO.
Old 11th May 2016
Gear Guru

those new little Heavy Ones with the rounded corners sound better ... i always thought Genny's sounded to smooth .. not not detail in the kids that i am familiar with my Dynaudio's .. my .02
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

I have 3 pairs now. 1031, S8R and Trio 6be.
If someone told me to keep only one, I'd probably stay with the Genelec.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear
Love my 8040s.

I do wish they could push a higher SPL before the limiter kicks in, but hey...I'll get a sub soon.
Old 14th December 2016
Lives for gear
It depends how you use them. I like ns-10's for mixing and Genelecs for enjoyment, checking low end and a more open detailed perspective. But NS-10's are much easier to work on for the bulk of the mix work especially for balancing levels and riding faders.
Old 15th December 2016
Gear Head

Been mixing on hem for 20 years. Love 'em.
It's best to use them along with a pair of NS-10s for contrast. They are the inverse of each other.
If it sounds good on both sets you're golden.
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
Been mixing on hem for 20 years. Love 'em.
It's best to use them along with a pair of NS-10s for contrast. They are the inverse of each other.
If it sounds good on both sets you're golden.
Chris, do you use a sub with either pair or do you rely on the Genelecs when mixing the low end?
Old 31st July 2017
Lives for gear

Never ever heard anyone complain about 1031 or 1032, only positive reviews about them, until this thread.. gearslutz is a strange planet..
Old 29th October 2017
Here for the gear

Yes indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
Isn't the problem of overly aggressive/present highs something that could be tamed with the EQ toggles on the back of the speakers?
No speaker can give accurate representation of the frequency range. There's no such thing as unboxing and plug it in and you're done. Some monitors need to be tuned. That involves working with analyzers and dsp equalization compensating. In other words? If you send a 10k generated tone out the monitor At a certain volume, it should be raised or lowered to match flat response as possible. Just like a racer tunes up his car before each race. Studio monitors need to be tamed by using parametric notching and boosting on the signal output to monitors. The left might need more or less or vise versa. How's that knowledge for you gear sluts? Maybe it never was brand that's the problem in your setup. Perhaps it was you the whole time. Don't bash other companies products. That's un professional. Preference and performance are two different things
Old 5th January 2018
Here for the gear
Love my 1031A's, which I have in my studio as LCR (I compose for film as well as as design and mix film.) That said, they do live behind a little grille cloth in my speaker soffit, which might just soften the high end a teeny touch. They translate beautifully for film music work. I'm just sad that I can't find replacement woofers anywhere...does anyone have any suggestions about NOS parts for Genelecs?

Cheers,
kS

EDIT: Actually, I just ordered replacement drivers from Genelec - still available it seems! Hooray!

Last edited by purling; 23rd January 2018 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Additional info found
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

I've been doing a lot of work out of a studio with 1031A's (with sub) for 5 years now and for the longest time I've really wrestled with them. I've finally figured out the trick with them: they are not nearfields. We have our screen and peripherals on a moving desk, so I've been positioning myself near the back of the room to mix and everything makes sense there. It could be all the reflections coming off the SSL, but closer up they just befuddle me.
Old 5th January 2018
Here for the gear
That's a great observation; my 1031A's are set on the same plane as my film screen, which in my room is about 9 feet away from the mix position. Being a film mixer I also mix in a calibrated room (85dB across the front's) and then I just turn my monitor master down when I'm mixing music - that also could contribute to why the I've never had a complaint about the high-end on my Genelecs.
Old 21st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I don't think they make them any more so it's worth evaluating their latest offerings IMHO.
Haha! It's been over a decade since initially responding to this thread.
I agree with Jules. However, there are enough used 1031s floating around this question may still be relevant to some.
I still own and use my 1030s. Can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Although, I do seem to hang onto speakers as I never know which pair might sound amazing in another room down the road or around the corner.
About two months ago I set up my buddys 1031s in my mix room. As much as I want to like those speakers they continue to strike me as a bit harsh or too bright for my taste.
Since my original post back in 2007 I have purchased and continue to use the S3As and Twin 6Bes. I've found a room where the S3As are a very good fit.
I like the Twin 6Bes in combination with my Genelec 7060 sub. However, I find myself leaning on the 1030s more and more when mixing. I am toying with possibly trading the focals for the Genelec 8351As with the GLM 2.0 SAM software.
So, still not sold on the 1031s but continue to be a Genelec fan...selective Genelec fan
Old 21st January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Haha! It's been over a decade since initially responding to this thread.
I agree with Jules. However, there are enough used 1031s floating around this question may still be relevant to some.
I still own and use my 1030s. Can't imagine ever getting rid of them. Although, I do seem to hang onto speakers as I never know which pair might sound amazing in another room down the road or around the corner.
About two months ago I set up my buddys 1031s in my mix room. As much as I want to like those speakers they continue to strike me as a bit harsh or too bright for my taste.
Since my original post back in 2007 I have purchased and continue to use the S3As and Twin 6Bes. I've found a room where the S3As are a very good fit.
I like the Twin 6Bes in combination with my Genelec 7060 sub. However, I find myself leaning on the 1030s more and more when mixing. I am toying with possibly trading the focals for the Genelec 8351As with the GLM 2.0 SAM software.
So, still not sold on the 1031s but continue to be a Genelec fan...selective Genelec fan

I own the 1030 and i owned the 1031 before. The 1030 is very good and although the 1031 is from the same family the 1031 is not as good. Like you say bright and don't translate well. You can blame the whole translation thing on the user but i heard things way better when i got the 1030s and my mixes improved over night.

1030s are very good and if you enjoy more hifi sounding studio speakers they are quite cheap and is a standard in many studios in Sweden atleast.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Head

Then and now, when people talk about Genelec 1000 Series, it´s still all about the A revision of the models like 1032A. When this thread was started back in 2007 you could already buy the 1032B model, further at the end of 2017 the new 1032C model was issued and still - people talk only about the A revision
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
.. gearslutz is a strange planet..
Amen, brother.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search