The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
1176LN style compressor ?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

1176LN style compressor ?

I love this compressor but it's too pricey for my budget.... Any of you that knows something that sounds similar but more affordable ?

Thanks in advance
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

the purple mc77 is a little cheaper, and supposedly very good
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 purple MC77
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

What are you planning on using it on. Vx, Drums? If Vx, not the same, but how bout a Distressor?

Blue Thumb Productions-Audio Production Facilities
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

the mc77 a cool piece... Although I had them and sold them pretty fast. It sounded great, but it was too noisy for me to use on vox. I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't horrible, but it had enough noise that I couldn't use it on some things. I found it pretty hard to find the sweetspot on them too. However, I must say that everyone I talk to loves theirs... It's just not for me, it may be cool for you though.

I like the UA reissues though. The single 1176 is great and so is the 2-1176. Although, the 2-1176 is a bit cleaner...Which is cool too. It's got the same vibe and functionality; it's just a bit cleaner.

Maybe another thing to look at is the studio electronics c2. It's got jensen transformers on input and sowter on output. It's got a 1272 style line driver. It's supposed to do the 1176 thing though. I've never used it, but I have a friend that loves his.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

If you can DIY:

Gyraf Audio - DIY 1176

Or if you can't DIY, maybe give somebody a few bucks to put it together for you.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Believe it or not....
Toft Audio Designs DC-2 Dual Channel FET Compressor
6-$700

Give it a try.
You can get this with 2pres and EQ, with this.
Toft Audio Designs ATC-2
$1G
Well worth the money, if you can find one in stock any where.

Good luck!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Firstly, thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What are you planning on using it on. Vx, Drums? If Vx, not the same, but how bout a Distressor?
The main use would be on the drum buss. Never tried a distressor but a lot people here don't like it on the 2-buss, plus I would end up spending much more.

What I'm looking for, is that crunchy sound in "all-button mode" style. I do not pretend to get something that sounds the same at a half of the price, but that's the idea heh

Hey folks, just a curiosity.. Did any of you ever use it on the final mix ?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=Ciozzi;1476168]Firstly, thanks for the replies

The main use would be on the drum buss. Never tried a distressor but a lot people here don't like it on the 2-buss, plus I would end up spending much more.

What I'm looking for, is that crunchy sound in "all-button mode" style. I do not pretend to get something that sounds the same at a half of the price, but that's the idea heh

Hey Ciozzi

I am in exactly the same boat as you-and am thinking about the nitorus sebatron FET, which has an inbuilt variable sidechain with a tight button (more crunchy compression curve). Sebatron in their blurb says its got a 1176 vibe- I suspect it will not be noisy but should be able to do the crunch thing. I am about to pull the trigger on one-and will possibly do a review after giving it a spank on mixing drums and tracking vocals.

Good luck with your quest

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciozzi View Post
Firstly, thanks for the replies

I personally like the SSL FX 384 for that (Drums 2 buss). Urei 1176 is a fast mono compressor. IMO better for a drum room mic, a ld vocal. I don't know if I would want it on the whole kit in mono. The distressor for vx and acoustics, again a mono unit.

Blue Thumb Productions-Audio Production Facilities

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search