The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the FATSO like? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

What is the FATSO like?

Im looking at purchasing the Fatso, i want to use it for tracking and also in my mastering chain. I know that the Fatso only has presets, as oppsoed to the distressor series, where you can really dial in your compression and release etc.the fatso will be my only outboard gear apart from preamps, what are the presets like?

Anything with a real fast release? How about for tracking Guitars for getting that thick compressed sound, or for drums and vocals?

Thank you in advance!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

i sure soemone here has one!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

I just got a FATSO and think it's pretty great. As for the compressor, it has seven attack/release "settings." They could work for you.

For me, I like the warmth and distortion generator to take the edge off of brittle digititis. It can go from subtle to quite colored depending how hard you hit it.

I'm still putting it through its paces, but am going to start tracking with it always. I think it'll be more of tracking piece for me than mixing.

Others have more experience and many are in love with it. Hopefully, they'll chime in.

Sorry, this isn't more informative. I do think however that it is a piece that you've got to get your hands on to actually get a feel for it. I think this is true for most all gear.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

and the tracking compressor is fast in the attack and release department. Apparently 1176ish. With the different fixed settings, I've still found it useful as a tone shaping compressor for drums.

It is quite nice for loops and synths through.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I have had one for almost a year now. Great on drums, great as a buss compressor, great on vocals, great on electric guitars, great on bass.

if you are working on something that requires a lot of trweaking on the attack and release, it may not be the thing for you. for an all around unit that does compression and warming very well, but without a lot of bells and whistles, its great.

sound is often subtle, but you can make it very in your face and obvious if you want.

use it when tracking to give your tracks the "console" sound. use it when mixing to be your ssl style buss compressor, put on drum subs, or whatever. use it when mastering for subtle warming and improving the bass response on small speakers, or squeezing an extra 3 db or so out of your tracks without actually compressing it.

enjoy
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds like a great product to me so far. Thanks guys!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

use it all the time mixing bussing the drums thru it.
works great.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

it spanks drums like nothin' else, and brings loops to life in a way few other processes can; something about the knee on the spank mode transforms the lifeless transient that says "i am a drum sample, hear me limp".

truthfully, i think this box excels at extremes, it does fat and aggressive like nobody's business. and while it also does fine at more modest settings, i think there are a lot of boxes that do the subtle stuff better, and i also think that having control over time constants and ratios is more important when using the less-is-more approach.

it does a great job at softening digital edges, but it doesn't "warm" things to my ears, not the way my studer does. the fatso has a bit of a grainy tone to it, steely analog mojo grain like a 2254, but it's not quite as thick on the low mids as a 2254; it's got a little less weight, a little more definition. 2254 is my other favorite drum loop treatment fwiw.

fatso stays parked on my drum bus.

gregoire
del
ubk
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search