The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'll be inToronto next week (Sept. 5) Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I'll be inToronto next week (Sept. 5)

So gearsluts, what to do? Maybe I can lay down a free drum track or some synth lines or something at your studio! Or maybe visit and argue about slew rate or something convoluted. What else should I do in Toronto? Never been but hear it's a nice joint. Gimme plans already :-)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

It probably won't be a big deal if you are coming from LA but the Toronto Film Festival is on while you are in town. If you have never been to film festival it might be cool to go a couple of events.

How long are you up for and what area of town are you staying in ?
Old 1st September 2007
Deleted User
If you have the time, take a day (or 2) trip to the Niagara Region. Go see the Falls and then check out Niagara on the Lake. Great small town with several great wineries, restaurants and theaters (home of the Shaw Festival).
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
It probably won't be a big deal if you are coming from LA but the Toronto Film Festival is on while you are in town. If you have never been to film festival it might be cool to go a couple of events.

How long are you up for and what area of town are you staying in ?
Thanks for the tips :-) The Mrs. is going there for work so I thought "Hey, free hotel!" We're staying at the Marriot which I think is downtown? Anyway, she'll be working all day and I'll work part of the day on my laptop and explore the other part of the day. She and I are taking Saturday to explore the city together but leave Sunday. Unfortunately, we'll probably miss niagra. Bummer. Maybe next time! What are the good eats not to miss?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

You can always venture out to Mississauga (10 minutes west of Toronto) to tune my drums and help me set levels on my old MCI mixer! Sometimes I hate being a drummer/engineer/producer -- I never get to hear my own kit through the board until after the fact!

Food? I never get downtown anymore for swanky meals, but I'm told Canoe (top of the CN tower) is darn good, as is the Select Bistro (Wellington and something...), and the Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar on Church (I think)... Lots of great eats in Toronto, to the surprise of many a Yankee Tourist.

Not sure what touristy stuff I'd recommend. The CN Tower has its charms. Art galleries for those so inclined (the AGO can be fun), or just go for a stroll down along Bloor West or Queen St. West (a much smaller 'Melrose'-ish strip).

Music-wise, I dunno - check local listings (pick up a NOW magazine) to see who's in town. Usually lots of good jazz and small bands coming through in time for the film festival.

And if you golf (and what self respecting musician doesn't!) there are quite a few lovely courses around town and this is a great time of year to play... I recommend Osprey Valley: 3 awesome 18's.

THERE! Your vacation is set. Have a g'day, eh?heh
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

just walk out the hotel and take a stroll toronto is fun ... lots to see do and eat
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
Thanks for the tips :-) The Mrs. is going there for work so I thought "Hey, free hotel!" We're staying at the Marriot which I think is downtown? Anyway, she'll be working all day and I'll work part of the day on my laptop and explore the other part of the day. She and I are taking Saturday to explore the city together but leave Sunday. Unfortunately, we'll probably miss niagra. Bummer. Maybe next time! What are the good eats not to miss?
There are a lot of Marriotts in Toronto - try and find out which one.

There are some great restaurants in the downtown core - list omse pref's and I will make some recommendations.

If you can try and book a dinner at the CN Tower. The food is OK but the view is absolutely stunning. It also gets you a free elevator which you usually have to pay for if you are just showing to check out the building. Book it soon - everything is going to be busy during the festival

Queen St. E has a lot of good live music just East and West of Spadina - pick up NOW magazine for entertainment listings . Also if you want to see a killer live band go to the Orbit Room - Friday nights usually feature the The Dave Murphy Band, check them out. The bar is owned by Alex Lifeson, if he wasn't on tour it is not uncommon for him to be there playing live.

The Orbit Room

If you are a football fan the CFL will probably have some games kicking around.

CFL.ca Network :: Official site of the Canadian Football League - looks like Toronto is playing Hamilton at the Skydome - tickets are cheap and this match up is a good rivalry.

You can also check out a Bluejays game if you like Basball

There are tons of nightclubs in the downtown core if that is your sort of thing

That is all I have for now, if something else comes to mind I will post it, cheers!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

You guys are great! Thanks for all the tips! Yeah, maybe someone'll have by their studio so I can write this trip off as business? ;-) That'd be cool...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like I'll be at the Marriot downtown on Bay St. :-) Wed. thru Sunday.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz View Post
You can always venture out to Mississauga (10 minutes west of Toronto) to tune my drums and help me set levels on my old MCI mixer! Sometimes I hate being a drummer/engineer/producer -- I never get to hear my own kit through the board until after the fact!
I'm totally down for that :-) Unfortunately, I'm not going to do the rental car while I'm there. Just chillin' in my shoes this trip but if there's an easy train over there, I'll set some eq's or levels or tune or play some drums. I've been known to tune some pretty mean skins (if they're decent heads LOL)! What kit ya got over there?

On the golf tip, the Mrs. and I did start hitting some a year ago, even bought clubs! We hit a lot of par 3 down the street from my studio on Los Feliz in LA. VERY relaxing and VERY similar to playing a new instrument I'd say in some ways (motor memory, small muscles and big muscles for different things, trying to relaxxxxxx to get a good result).

Good times :-)
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Get down to Queen Street WEST between University Ave and Trinity Bellwods park...go for a walk, drink, eat, shop , site see....don't go to the CN Tower or Mississauga...if you wanna see music Orbit is OK...Horshoe, Rivoli, El Macombo...Late night street sausage is good at Spadina and Queen...

Have fun

Nick
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
..don't go to the CN Tower or Mississauga......

And, as in any town, ignore the noobs.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Get down to Queen Street WEST between University Ave and Trinity Bellwods park...go for a walk, drink, eat, shop , site see....don't go to the CN Tower or Mississauga...if you wanna see music Orbit is OK...Horshoe, Rivoli, El Macombo...Late night street sausage is good at Spadina and Queen...

Have fun

Nick
Hey, thanks for the tips, Nick! So why not Mississauga or CN tower (just curious)?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Ditto

... a link for live music in the city
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
Hey, thanks for the tips, Nick! So why not Mississauga or CN tower (just curious)?
I'm not Nick, but I'm guessing that the CN Tower is considered by many locals to be 'too touristy'. Even though the fact is that if you haven't been here before, it's a great spot to get an overview of the city, the restaurant is actually quite seriously good, and it's right in the center of town, close to a dozen other cool attractions. Sure, it's not 'hip' like Queen West, the Orbit room, etc. But speaking as someone who's lived in New York and LA off and on (and Toronto for 20-some years), I'd still recommend a visit to the tower. Maybe that's just me.

As for Mississauga, I certainly never suggested it as a 'tourist stop' -- I was just jokingly asking for free drum tuning! That said, it IS home to MetalWorks Studios, one of the most reputable recording joints in the country. But you can see that in LA any day... Mississauga's a great place to live, but does it derserve a stop on a quick touristy pass through town? Uh, no not unless you get a huge kick out of pleasant houses on quaint tree lined streets.... Kind of like Studio City in LA, and we all know how exciting THAT can be! heh

Other highlights: Chinatown (some awesome dim-sum palaces), and the Danforth (local home of Greek food and culture). Not to mention the Real Jerk (Jamaican), Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian), and many many more around town. Bring an appetite.

cheers and enjoy your trip!
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I'm back from Toronto and i have to say I LOVED it! GREAT city! People everywhere at all hours. Lots of music. GREAT shops all over. Very international demographic. Lots of life in the city. People don't seem as "closed" or scared of each other as is the general vibe in much of LA (sorry, I've lived here 13 years so I'm just giving my honest feedback of the general vibe here.). There are some great folks in LA for sure but it's definitely not Mayberry ;-)

Back to Tornoto. I'd love to go back for a longer stay there. Maybe a move is down the line there somewhere! So....

How's the engineering/production/mixing scene there? I have lots of contacts here in LA and New York and can pretty much live most anywhere I guess now but ya know, it's a lot easier when you are in a city in the middle of the industry. Don't know much about the music biz in Canada. Any thoughts on it?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search