The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
they call the uad 1176LN Limiting Amplifier (isnt it a compressor?) Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

they call the uad 1176LN Limiting Amplifier (isnt it a compressor?)

is limiting amp and compressor the same?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

this is what wiki says about a LEVELING amp :

Leveling amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A leveling amplifier or leveler is an audio process, similar to compression, which is used to reduce the dynamic range of a signal, so that the quietest portion of the signal is loud enough to hear and the loudest portion is not too loud. A leveling amp is different from a compressor in that the ratio and threshold are controlled with a single control. Levelers work especially well with vocals, as there are huge dynamic differences in the human voice and levelers work in such a way as to sound very natural, letting the character of the sound change with the different levels but still maintaining a predictable and usable dynamic range.

I wonder if a LIMITING amp is the same....

Last edited by dj_who; 31st August 2007 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: huh?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_who View Post
this is what wiki says about a LEVELING amp :

Leveling amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A leveling amplifier or leveler is an audio process, similar to compression, which is used to reduce the dynamic range of a signal, so that the quietest portion of the signal is loud enough to hear and the loudest portion is not too loud. A leveling amp is different from a compressor in that the ratio and threshold are controlled with a single control. Levelers work especially well with vocals, as there are huge dynamic differences in the human voice and levelers work in such a way as to sound very natural, letting the character of the sound change with the different levels but still maintaining a predictable and usable dynamic range.

I wonder if a LIMITING amp is the same....
Not according to Wiki

It has buttons to control the ratio!

The LA-3 is a Leveling Amplifier. I know because is says it on the front of all four of mine.

Oh wait, my 1176 says it's a Peak Limiter. Maybe something's wrong with it..
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Isn't a limiter really just a type of compressor? Half a compressor?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

The basic difference between a compressor and a limiter is the ratio. Usually, any ratio 10:1 or above is called limiting.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

It's about ratios...

All such devices affect dynamic range. Generally, lower ratios (say, up to 8:1) are thought of as compression; higher ratios are considered limiting. Of course, a unit's knee characteristics and attack and release parameters may also determine whether one wants to qualify its effect as "compression" or "limiting." Hope that's helpful.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
The basic difference between a compressor and a limiter is the ratio. Usually, any ratio 10:1 or above is called limiting.

Cheers,
--
Don
Yup. I don't think there is any official or technical distinguisher between compressor and limiter... or at least one that I'm aware of. It's common to label a ratio of 10:1 and higher as a limiter. Although I've seen 8:1 titled "limiter" on other pieces of gear.

The la3a can be both a compressor and a limiter because the gr ratio is a dynamic function of the quantity of gain reduction taking place as defined by the opto cell.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search