The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic and Pre advice for a Bombergirl...
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

Mic and Pre advice for a Bombergirl...

Hey ~ my head is swimming in all the gear reviews out there! If some of you gear gurus out there could offer a bit of advice, I'd really appreciate it. I'm in the market for a decent mic pre / mic combo for the lead singer of my band for my home recording set up. If you have a moment, you can hear her and also maybe be a little entertained by the video of our dancers here:

http://209.61.242.118/bombergirl/med...rGirlPromo.mov

I make the music, but I am not good with gear choices (I've bought, tried, not liked and consequently sold so much gear over the past year it's ridiculous).

One engineer I talked to said he'd track her with a ribbon mic, I don't know, what do you think? As far as what our budget is, it's not astronomical, I don't mind buying used so there's a bit of flexibility upwards. On the preamp around/under 1500 would hurt but not kill me, for the mic, around 1000 would be nnnnnnnya OK, I guess. Ok, this combo will hurt my wallet for sure, saving $ is good if possible but ultimately I'd rather not have to upgrade for a while again.

Anyhow, thanks so much for any help and guidance here, cheers all! Ed
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

This Ribbon madness has gone too far! I can't think of one conventional ribbon mic that would sound stylistically appropriate here. Sounds like a poor recommendation to me. There's a lot of great ribbons out there. However, they're not the answer to everything.

That said, if you're bad at "choosing gear", it would probably be in your best interest to go to a well equipped studio, hire an Engineer, and 'Produce'.

For a budget of $2500 you can get plenty of studio time, and most likely, a better product.

Alternately, you can spend just a bit of time in a well-equipped studio, and come away with a more informed opinion as to what sounds good on her. And, in the meantime, you'll have recorded some music! Yay. Everybody wins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search