The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BLUE Kiwi-- now that most of you have one...
Old 31st August 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
chickencoop's Avatar
 

BLUE Kiwi-- now that most of you have one...

Yes-- I've searched it here several times, but I know that many people have grabbed them during the recent BLUE/Telex madness, and now that the pool of Gearslutz who have them has expanded dramatically, I was wondering what people think about them. Being transformerless, is the sound anything like the TLM's? I've read some opinions here that it is similar in sound to a U-87ai or C-12. or some cross between the two.

I'm asking because I bought one recently and have been keeping it new and unused in case I want to re-sell it, but it's getting harder and harder to resist...
Old 31st August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Resistance is futile! Just to get you even edgier about it I'd say they blow a u87 out of the water. Now go and open the thing and plug it in.

Used mine on a female RnB track the other day and ummmm well it it was perfect, more than perfect, sensational. I wish I could post a clip but its not finished yet.
Old 31st August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Actually I recorded some nylon string guitar also, I'll post a clip of that tomorrow, sounds superb, was only just a quick test.
Old 31st August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
chickencoop's Avatar
 

Awesome-- thanks for the observations. I keep worrying that I'm going to try it out and not like it as much as my Oktavamodded MK-219PE (that happened when I had a Blueberry)... I imagine that they are very different sounding mics though-- the 219 is kind of 'dark', but works on so many sources...
Old 31st August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
heathen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
Awesome-- thanks for the observations. I keep worrying that I'm going to try it out and not like it as much as my Oktavamodded MK-219PE (that happened when I had a Blueberry)... I imagine that they are very different sounding mics though-- the 219 is kind of 'dark', but works on so many sources...
I bet you will like it just as much. heh
Old 31st August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
chickencoop's Avatar
 

yeah i've resisted for a couple of weeks now, but it's a long weekend and my fiancee is away for it, meaning that i'm going to be recording pretty much the whole time. i'll probaby break it out tonight. heh
Old 31st August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Just do it.

Sounds really good on vocals and I like what is does on acoustic guitar. I have been toying with the idea of buying a second to have a stereo pair.

I also have the oktava mk-012-20 set, a 319 and a 105 all with premium electronics (they RAWK!) but the Blue fits in well.

Different flavors of ice cream.....it's all good!
Old 31st August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
chickencoop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
Just do it.

Sounds really good on vocals and I like what is does on acoustic guitar. I have been toying with the idea of buying a second to have a stereo pair.

I also have the oktava mk-012-20 set, a 319 and a 105 all with premium electronics (they RAWK!) but the Blue fits in well.

Different flavors of ice cream.....it's all good!
cool-- thanks a lot! i just got the second of my matched oktavamodded mk-012s, and one of my main use for those (and for the kiwi) will be acoustic guitar. it's good to know that your experience is that they can all fit.
Old 4th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
chickencoop's Avatar
 

broke it out to do some vocal tracking... yep-- no regrets-- thanks for the encouragement heh
Old 4th September 2007
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
borism's Avatar
 

Sorry but what is this Blue Telex madness you are talking about?
is it a BLUE Price blowout of some kind? how much for a Kiwi?

Thank you
B
Old 4th September 2007
  #11
amd
Lives for gear
 
amd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borism View Post
Sorry but what is this Blue Telex madness you are talking about?
is it a BLUE Price blowout of some kind? how much for a Kiwi?

Thank you
B


Why are the Kiwi going for so cheap? I have seen some deals on new ones in the classified sections, but didn't know if it was a scam. Can someone please explain and are they still available? Thanks!
Old 4th September 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

The Kiwi is great. Anywhere you'd want a brighter mic the Kiwi wins. It's nothing like the TLM series. It does kill the 87. Great on acoustic guitar, vocals, overheads, strings, handclaps (yes, I did it), percussion, upright, piano, B3, you name it.
Old 4th September 2007
  #13
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

Blue dropped Telex as their distributor, leaving them with a bunch of stock they couldn't push out to retailers. So they let their employees buy the mics at cost, and a lot of them spread the product out to the street at a slight markup. The gentleman I bought mine from went through 3 dozen mics. I just wish I could've grabbed a second one.
Old 4th September 2007
  #14
amd
Lives for gear
 
amd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
Blue dropped Telex as their distributor, leaving them with a bunch of stock they couldn't push out to retailers. So they let their employees buy the mics at cost, and a lot of them spread the product out to the street at a slight markup. The gentleman I bought mine from went through 3 dozen mics. I just wish I could've grabbed a second one.


Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can get one?
Old 4th September 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
lowfreq33's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you know where I can get one?
There was a guy in the classifieds selling a few, a little higher than the others I've seen, but maybe he paid more as well. In all fairness, it's a $2000 mic, so $1150 is still a great price.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump