The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What else to get? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

What else to get?

Hi!

I own (with a partner) a projects studio in Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain). We finished buying the basics 2 or 3 months ago and have just started to make recordings for other people and getting payed for them. The money is staying for new investments for now, so I wonder if someone can give an opinion on the priorities for new gear. Our setup is the following:

- PC: Intel Core Duo E6600, 2Gb RAM.
- M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, PT M-Powered.
- AMEK DMCL
- ISA 428 w/ ADC card
- TL Audio PA-1
- Studio Projects VTB-1
- Octopre w/ ADAT card
- DBX 166xl
- Yamaha SPX900
- Finalizer 96k. (DACs)
- SPL 2381
- NHT M-20
- JBL 4311b
- ATH M40, AKG K240S, 140M...

Mics:

- Brauner Phantom AE
- SP C1
- AT 4033
- SM7b
- RE-20
- Alctron HST-11 (like Telefunken AK-47 mkI, apex 460, etc. tuned to use a 12AT7 [Philips])
- 2 x 451b
- 2 x sm81
- 2 x B52
- 7 x sm57

Possibilities:
- We clock everything from the DMCL, but that and -especially- the 428 get very hot and they wouldn't need to be on all the time if we got a wordclock.
- We have 7 AD channels of the 428 covered with the pres in the 428, the VTB-1 and the PA-1, so there is one channel remaining where we could fit in a new good pre (a shame GRs, vintechs, etc. are very expensive in Europe)
- Maybe a ribbon mic or a good tube vocal mic or whatever other mic.
- Plugins. We now use demos such as aireq or Massey, or free plugins like digitalfishphones, EQIII, etc.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!!!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd add more outboard to get a really solid frontend. Without knowing what kind of music you do and how you guys like to work it's hard to say. I'd look at a nice outboard compressor personally. After that I'd get some more plugs like a URS bundle or something along those lines.

Good luck.
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
I'd add more outboard to get a really solid frontend. Without knowing what kind of music you do and how you guys like to work it's hard to say. I'd look at a nice outboard compressor personally. After that I'd get some more plugs like a URS bundle or something along those lines.

Good luck.
Thanks for you opinion, Slaytex. We do very different styles from hip-hop to rock, metal, folk, etc. For the moment, we have mixed everything ITB and the plan is to continue doing so until we make another big investment buying a summing box, 16 DA channels (lynx, probably) and outboard mixing gear. Would you buy a compressor for tracking, you mean?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

its all about front end, gat a good pre and/or good tube vocal mic.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeks555 View Post
its all about front end, gat a good pre and/or good tube vocal mic.
Thanks for your opinion! Better than a HW compressor, then? What would best fit my preamp and mic setup?

Anyone coming to Europe bringing GRs to sell?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, I love tracking with a compressor even if it's just kissing the compressor (slow attack and fast release). I really feel it helps glue things together by the time you get to the mix. I do mainly rock so I like color, but it's not for everything obviously.

I'm a front end freak at this point. It's really made my life easier at mix not having to patch and make recall sheets. You just have to work harder at the tracking stage. But that is a good practice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search