The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Im just trying to learn all of this jive
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Im just trying to learn all of this jive

Curious...how does a console, like an ssl, add coloration? Does it happen once its sent from your DAW, or is it in the eq section? What do these boards contain that make them preferred?

Also, do people ever mix in a console, and then send the mix to a tape machine? I think I've heard of people doing this. Is this also for coloration? And is this refering to the older reel style tape machines?

I've read plenty of posts like this after searching, but I think I'm still missing something. I don't quite understand how everything is connected.

is it DAW>outboard converter>Console>outboard converter> back into DAW?
Old 31st August 2007

Coloration is about two things - frequency response and distortion.

That's right, distortion. In small amounts, the right distortion sounds good.

-tINY

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Colour is a subtle tone thing. I suppose the analogy would be comparing two different guitars... lets say acoustic. Inevitably they will have slightly different tones... even if they are the same make and model. They're both still guitars, and they're both supposed to sound like good guitars, but one may be more favourable over the other.

Quote:
DAW>outboard converter>Console>outboard converter> back into DAW
If you're using a DAW then yes this is the sequence. To be a little more specific though it is:
DAW>D/A converters (Digital to Analog)>Console Line In>Do your mix here> Console Channel Output>A/D Converters> back into DAW

Most Audio Interfaces have AD/DA converters built into the same box, but as you get into higher end stuff they usually split the two, like the new Apogee boxes or any number of higher end boxes. And just like anything else, converters too will have different subtleties.

In the end, colour generally refers to a desirable side-effect of the unit-in-question's design. But still, what is desirable to one is worst piece of crap to another

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search