The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm back to DAT. Who else is with me? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm back to DAT. Who else is with me?

As of today, I have switched back to DAT as my preferred medium when mixing down to 2 track.

I had been using a Fostex CR500 as my master recorder, but got a great deal on a Tascam DA40 and did a comparison between the 2. Well, the DA40 won hands down. Greater headroom. More punch and much warmer than the Fostex. The converters just kill in the DAT.

Just curious if any of you have had the same experiences and have switched back to DAT.

Of course, a Ampex ATR-102 1" would be ideal, but until then, I'm happy with my DAT.

IPH
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

DAT is a medium I'd just as soon forget about.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Your on your own, friend. I wouldn't want to rely on DAT ever again.

If you like the sound of the DAT's conversion you could just use the DAT as the converter and go into the DIG IN on your CR500.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPLayHamers View Post
As of today, I have switched back to DAT as my preferred medium when mixing down to 2 track.

I had been using a Fostex CR500 as my master recorder, but got a great deal on a Tascam DA40 and did a comparison between the 2. Well, the DA40 won hands down. Greater headroom. More punch and much warmer than the Fostex. The converters just kill in the DAT.

Just curious if any of you have had the same experiences and have switched back to DAT.

Of course, a Ampex ATR-102 1" would be ideal, but until then, I'm happy with my DAT.

IPH
No Way. Alesis Masterlink for me
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow. Umm... can you still get DAT tapes?

I think you are confusing the conversion with the medium. In digital, the medium doesn't add anything - it only records what it's told to.

You'd get exactly the same sound if you passed the analogue signal in the DAT and out the spidif or AES outs as you would recording the data on the DAT tape.

You should get no colouration if you are going digital in and are clocked up properly - DAT wouldn't add anything - DAT doesn't have a "sound".

I'd personally get a converter box you are happy with and it won't matter if you save the data on CD, DVD, hard disk, DAT, DASH, ADAT, iPod, Flash media, USB Drive, or wrote out the ones and zeroes with a pointy stick in the sand.

If the converters you are happy with are in a DAT machine, cool, but it's not the DAT format you like, just the 44.1/16bit converters your DAT machine has.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

this is a joke right?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yo, fvck DAT. heh
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
No Way. Alesis Masterlink for me
YIKES !!! Im not in love with DAT either and i do have one of the higher end 4100s at 20 bit, but masterlink ? you got to be kidding, the convertors in those are the chit's
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Walters ?

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
...or wrote out the ones and zeroes with a pointy stick in the sand.
of course then you'd have to buy a beach with sand that isn't too coarse, or it'd sound too grainy. not to mention backing up before the tide comes in.

DAT huh? Hmm... I got a local studio to copy a bunch of DATs from my college days onto CD, they were only about 4-5 years old, already full of drop outs and caused the guys all manner of problems.

get a nice analogue tape deck or a nice converter.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just curious if any of you have had the same experiences and have switched back to DAT.IPH
Just switched back to DAT because I had to...Had to dig up some DAT tapes from 1989, for an anniversary re-release...
Gosh...I must have channeled all DAT related issues to the dark sides of my mind...but now, they resurfaced...all of them....at the same time...: rewind times, corrupt song ID markers, jammed tape, and more small quirks...

Back to 2007: I don't miss it all that much...

Just like cutting analog tape is soooo much fun...until you lose the second chorus...

Tip: our DAT machines were used for the first time again in what...three - four years (if not more), so before working with the 1989 master tapes, I put up some blank DAT's to get the machine back up to speed...FWIW, the player ate the first (blank) tape...I pieced it back together...I let it play for an hour or two...gave it a good workout (lotsa REW and FFW)...things were fine afterwards...

Cheers,
RR.

Last edited by The Alamo; 31st August 2007 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for Jesus

I still keep a DA30Mk2 around for transfers, im glad those dat days are over )

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I still keep a DA30Mk2 around for transfers, im glad those dat days are over )

I'm wit you...I got a DA-30 packed away somewhere heh
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
... but masterlink ? you got to be kidding, the convertors in those are the chit's
I'm in the Masterlink camp. I don't own one, but like them when I use them.

I have an HD24, which i think has the same converters, and have no complaints.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Masterlink + Record back to PT with HEDD192 for me.

DATs always used to give me problems. Glad they're gone!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

DAT!?!

Please reconsider!

Relax, have a pint or 2 of your favorite beverage and listen to reason. There are soooo many issues with DAT that you have obviously forgotten. For the love of God man, don't do it.

We're looking out for YOU. We love you and want only the best for you. We care and that is why we reply to your post.

lololol

But I AM serious.

Your buddy,
Rob
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a DA30 MKII but only use it for transfers. Wouldn't even consider it for a mixdown lol! But I never tried it. Why not use your Daw!!!??? Geez mine ate a tape a couple years ago. But never again since. Still scares me tho. I wouldn't trust it... But I must admit I like having it for the many times I needed it. I have a crap load of blank DAT tapes and used like 4 of them in 2 years.....
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

You Just Don't Need THDAT
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I can't even remember the last time I switched my DAT player on.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
... did a comparison between the 2. Well, the DA40 won hands down. Greater headroom. More punch and much warmer than the Fostex. The converters just kill in the DAT
I'm confused - which in this case possibly means plain stupid. Can someone explain how one digital medium can have more headroom thatn another digital medium?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I still have a Panasonic SV3800 in my rack...I use it mainly as a headphone amplifier...right above my Tascam DA38, which I mainly use to rewind home video tapes so I don't wear my camcorder out...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I ended up throwing my DA30 out because it had transport and head problems and I was afraid to play any tapes through it for fear of getting gobbled up and it wasn't worth putting $ into. Good riddancedfegad.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I ended up throwing my DA30 out because it had transport and head problems and I was afraid to play any tapes through it for fear of getting gobbled up and it wasn't worth putting $ into. Good riddancedfegad.
HAHA! Me Too! right in the dumpster.
Old 31st August 2007
I'm back to Sony PCM on Betamax- What that one? where can I get some new Betamax-tapes? Haa, Haaaaaaa!!!!!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

DAT = worst format ever.
Nothing to do with sound quality.
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
YIKES !!! Im not in love with DAT either and i do have one of the higher end 4100s at 20 bit, but masterlink ? you got to be kidding, the convertors in those are the chit's
Yeah, the same one's folks rave about in the HD24XR and the Radar 96 Nyquist.

So, masterlink = bad, Radar = good?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Holy **** Jimheh

I got one too;

Neumann U47, k47 capsule. Neumann m147, k47 capsule.

So, M147 = bad, U47 = good?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

I recently reconfigured my setup and am using an HD24XR. I was initially concerned with how the converter quality would stack up, but have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the converters. Down the road, I may get into an Aurora, but did sell my RME converter. I never did direct comparisons between the RME and the HD24XR, but didn't feel compelled to.

That being said, I would be surprised if the Masterlink incorporated the exact same in/out conversion process as I've been holding the opinion that the converters are pretty sketchy in that. I use it as a mixdown format, but coming in through an RME ADI-2 converter.
I actually haven't done a comparison of the A/D in the two, but in doing a direct comparison on the D/A output of the Masterlink versus the sound quality of the D/A in the RME, it's almost dramatic. The RME sounds noticably better, and it's not one of those "squint your eyes and think I hear a difference" kind of things. It could be that the A/D side of things on the Masterlink is not up to par with it's A/D??
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

My old Sony DAT machine is still in use, but only because it has the best converters in my studio, and only if I'm recording at 16 bit...
Mostly I use it as a master clock when I'm mixing, as it is definitely the best sounding clock I have. But I'm pretty low end. Once I get a better interface and good clocking (001 and AD8000 right now...), the DAT player will be tossed.
Actually using one to play/record onto DAT tapes?..... uh, no thanks.
Old 31st August 2007
The Masterlink has other problems not related to the converter chips, like it's low end roll-offs and the masked playback off the CDR drive. I would recommend the DV-RA1000 from Tascam as a decent replacement.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search