The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I'm back to DAT. Who else is with me? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Masterlink has other problems not related to the converter chips, like it's low end roll-offs and the masked playback off the CDR drive. I would recommend the DV-RA1000 from Tascam as a decent replacement.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
OK...this could explain some things. "Masked playback off the CDR" describes exactly what I hear. I still think it's an OK mixdown box for OTB people like myself.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

dfegad
Quote:
Originally Posted by centurymantra View Post
OK...this could explain some things. "Masked playback off the CDR" describes exactly what I hear. I still think it's an OK mixdown box for OTB people like myself.
To make you guys more
I'm using the old Sony PCM701 processor for 16 bits A/D conversion because it sound better than all the DAT's A/D's i know..........
The data are always being cloned via the 601 to DAT->CD-R->DAW.
How's about that!!!!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

OMG I'm gonna fire my DAT deck up for the first time since January. Wish me luck... I do have a music tape for testing it. If I can find it. No one is here today and is kinda lonely anyway...

Found tape...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok tested my DAT and works fine however I lost all the 3D. Hard to explain but sounds mono compared to my other stuff. Don't master to it LOL. Only good for transfers. Well gotta get to work cya.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy lee View Post
I'm back to Sony PCM on Betamax- What that one? where can I get some new Betamax-tapes? Haa, Haaaaaaa!!!!!
I still have a Sony 501 ES heh and a bunch of Beta tapes,.... im not giving them up just yet

Old 1st September 2007

all my DAT players are packed away AND BROKEN.....

so even if i WANTED to....

yikes...

i'm wondering if the A/D converters on the 3700 aren't half bad, tho.......hmmmmm

Old 1st September 2007
Lives for Jesus

I have a 8ft rack full of this kind of obsolete gear, that is worth nothing to sell,... but i cant just toss it.... what a waste but state of the art in its day

Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I remember that i always preferred DAT quality over CDR quality.
I don't know if the expression clean crunch means anything to you, but that was the feeling i got when i played back tapes on my DA-20.
i havn't turned on my minty DAT recorder in 7 years and still have about a 100 Blank DAT tapes, but for some reason, i don't want to sell it 'cause i would get pennies for it and you may have just convinced me to use it again...
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a 8ft rack full of this kind of obsolete gear, that is worth nothing to sell,... but i cant just toss it.... what a waste but state of the art in its day

I purged some of that stuff because of space limitations. The gear I have left I've been clearing out on ebay, it doesn't bring big $$$ but it buys cables,and stuff I can use now.

Anybody want to buy a Tascam 112, Akai midi trigger unit, a BRC?
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

i hear ya - same goes for me - my racks in the garage.

hey steve - howz trix??

Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post
You are the man!
And are you mixing down music with Fairlights, DX7's and LinnDrums?
Nope.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

all i can say i s R.I.P D.A.T............dfegad
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmm... DAT works well for me. Sounds better than dropping into PT and not everything suits tape (which is far more of an arse to work with anyway)... then again if I had an Ampex
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm with you!

But only in certain circumstances...

DAT never went away for me, as I frequently need to record 3-4 hours of continuous speech unattended.

Rock-solid though my Powerbook/Metric Halo/LaCie set-up is, I'd still much rather use the DAT for this sort of application, as I don't need 24/96.

And FWIW, my Tascam DA-20, DA-20MkII and DA-30MkII have never, ever let me down over more than a decade of moderate use. Be good to them and they'll be good to you!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
I'm with you!

But only in certain circumstances...

DAT never went away for me, as I frequently need to record 3-4 hours of continuous speech unattended.
You can find DAT tapes that will give you 3-4 hours recording unattended? This is one of the precise reasons I discarded DAT for long program stereo recording an instead use HD or Flash based media. The other was that I could only transfer DAT to HD realtime, which adds a 3-4 hours to any job, even to make minor edits. Realtime transfer for digital is *so* last millenium.

I'll either use my laptop if I want to tag the program with markers during recording, or I'll use an M-Audio MicroTrack. Love that little thing for field recording.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Masterlink has other problems not related to the converter chips, like it's low end roll-offs and the masked playback off the CDR drive. I would recommend the DV-RA1000 from Tascam as a decent replacement.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Jim, can you explain masked playback? Filters the CDR output?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

give it away my friend. you will make a lot of people very happy, and you'll feel really good about it too.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo2 View Post
(001 and AD8000 right now...)
Whats wrong with the apogee? I love those AD8000s...
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPLayHamers View Post
As of today, I have switched back to DAT as my preferred medium when mixing down to 2 track.
Let us know how that turns out for you....
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whats wrong with the apogee? I love those AD8000s...
WHOOPS! I meant ADA8000...as in the behringer unit! Sorry...
Old 15th November 2007
reuse or recycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
give it away my friend. you will make a lot of people very happy, and you'll feel really good about it too.
gregoire hits it again. give it away, sell or trade it. there's still a market for them in nyc, as i have seen wtb ads recently.

please, for the love of the earth, dispose of it properly (i.e. not out with the trash) if you are junking it!

Last edited by charlienyc; 15th November 2007 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 15th November 2007
While I do think the converters on my old SV3700 had a pretty nice sound for the era, the inconvenience and insecurity of working with the DAT format was something I was happy to leave behind in '96 when I got my first PC-based CD burner to serve my 8 channel PC-based DAW and double ADAT rig. I only had a few DAT tapes go bad but, you know, that's kind of enough. I did have another DAT deck so I could back up -- but those real time backups were a bit of a pain. (At least my that first burner of mine burned at 2x. And my next burner, rockin' out at 4x, did just fine when it came time to master a CD for replication using CD-Architect. I was a little nervous, since I'd stories about rep houses sending masters back with a hefty service fee but it was all groovy.)

I have to say I never quite understood the notion of standalone CD-burners once the price on computer based burners fell... at first they seemed to be the province of studio owners who refused to even entertain the notion of letting a computer into their rooms.

Anyhow, while I can understand the appeal of analog tape for those in love with its peculiar characteristics (I've owned 10 analog tape reel machines myself but left that behind at the beginning of the 90s), I was always nervous about my DAT machines, since one of my aquaintances had been an early DAT adopter in the 80s, believing all the hype and then, one day when he was playing his current work in progress for friends, a big stretch of it went missing (accumulated errors made playback impossible) and he learned the hard way that it was very, very far from a bulletproof format.

Everyone's mileage varies...
Old 15th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
I remember that i always preferred DAT quality over CDR quality.
I don't know if the expression clean crunch means anything to you, but that was the feeling i got when i played back tapes on my DA-20.
i havn't turned on my minty DAT recorder in 7 years and still have about a 100 Blank DAT tapes, but for some reason, i don't want to sell it 'cause i would get pennies for it and you may have just convinced me to use it again...
I hope you mean the quality of your DAT's converters vs the converters you were using on your computer (and, of course, whatever converters you were using to playback)... 'cause, for me, all them 1's and 0's tend to sound the same when they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post

gregoire
del
ubk
I gave away two 4 track 1/4" and an 8 track 1/2" deck when I sold my old house and my only regrets were that I was afraid they would be a burden to the friend I gave them to... but as far as I know he just uses the 8 track them for window dressing in his PT project studio. (It is big, with its always-breaking dbx NR rack and modular recording/playback pres with their genuine VU meters ( heh ). And I'm sure the kids go, Wow, dude!)
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

New sealed Dat tapes.....

I have a few boxes of new sealed Apogee Dat tapes I would sell if anybody needs some. Mostly 34 and 19 min sealed tapes......
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

What's dat dere?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search