The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I know this is a stupid question, but...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I know this is a stupid question, but...

What is the difference between a line input(trs) and a DI ? It says in the manual that both take 1/4 inch cables from mic, guitars a bass. So whats the difference?
Old 31st August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapikapi View Post
What is the difference between a line input(trs) and a DI ?...
Well, I could go on for several paragraphs and still not answer what you really want to know.

Need just a little more information to give a more direct and useful reply.

The manual for what are you reading?

Even more direct: what do you wish to plug into what for what end result?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

A DI input handles way-high impedance (that's a technical term for you non-slutz) that comes direct out of yer old everyday electric guitar or bass.

A line input is somewhat lower impedance running at -10 or +4 for connections to other line level stuff. Like the output of your eq to the input of your pre or other animals of that type.

Having a DI choice for impedance is great because ...as many folks know....when you plug an electric guitar directly into a line input, the guitar sound typically then sucks due to impedance mismatch. A DI input...or a quarter inch input that can be switched between DI or line impedance, is a good little option to have.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlinXavier View Post
Well, I could go on for several paragraphs and still not answer what you really want to know.

Need just a little more information to give a more direct and useful reply.

The manual for what are you reading?

Even more direct: what do you wish to plug into what for what end result?

The mbox2 manual. When do I plug a guitar into an line in and when to plug in to a DI?
Old 31st August 2007

OK, now I can write several paragraphs an be on-topic heh

The Mbox has Mic inputs (XLR, Low Impedance), and line inputs (1/4" 'guitar' cables, high impedance).

If you are sitting right in front of the Mbox, pluging your guitar into the line in just like would be OK as normally pluging into a guitar amp. Good for using guitar modelers in software and sometimes OK for getting a clean sound.

In this situation using a DI Box is for converting a line level/impedance signal (guitar -- actually lower volume line level) to a mic level/impedance signal. 1/4" guitar cable to DI box. Di box to XLR cable to Mic input on Mbox. If you are a very long distance away from the Mbox you would generally get a better sound pluging into a DI and using a mic cable (or balanced snake) than using a long 1/4" unbalanced cable.

However, if right next to the Mbox and you have a really nice DI box (active) that might sound better than plugging the guitar into the Mbox line in. You simply have to try all ways available to you and see.

Also, if you have an guitar FX unit or a guitar amp with an XLR output (AKA 'DI Out'), that could be used to plug into the mic input. Varrying results...

Note that the Mbox also has some SPDIF digital inputs. If you are using an FX unit with those outputs, you should try using that. Some great results can be had that way.

Most of the best guitar sounds are a microphone in front of the speaker of a guitar amp (especially tube based), IMOAMO. If you have that option, try that first.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlinXavier View Post

In this situation using a DI Box is for converting a line level/impedance signal (guitar -- actually lower volume line level) to a mic level/impedance signal. 1/4" guitar cable to DI box. Di box to XLR cable to Mic input on Mbox.

However, if right next to the Mbox and you have a really nice DI box (active) that might sound better than plugging the guitar into the Mbox line in. You simply have to try all ways available to you and see.
Confusing....

What do you mean "if right next to the mbox and you really have a nice DI box"? I thought the mbox2 was a DI box.
Old 31st August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikapikapi View Post
Confusing....
What do you mean "if right next to the mbox and you really have a nice DI box"? I thought the mbox2 was a DI box.
Technically the MBox2 is and audio interface or "soundcard". I see that it does have the "DI" inputs, but that doesn't mean that a nice $200 active DI box wouldn't sound better than it's DI inputs. If you have one around to try, see how it sounds...

My point is that you have to try all options currently available to you and see how they work for you and your music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search