The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I did my first monitor analysis: Now what? Headphone Amps
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

I did my first monitor analysis: Now what?

Hello everyone,

I'm a student film music composer and still very new to producing music, especially mixing. I'm using my fathers Alesis M1 passives and a QSC USA400 power amp in his studio; a converted garage thats been sound proofed into a very dead room (for pictures see: http://www.shopjt3.com/studiopicts.html). I've been generally unhappy with the way my music translates to other systems/environments, and am unsure how to fix this problem. Is it my monitors? Is it the room? Is it user error? I just dont know! For example, under the advice of a friend, I recently added my cheep home stereo subwoofer to my monitor chain, and was AMAZED at how much better my mixes became! I was no longer flying blind with low end frequencies, which in turn made my whole mixes less muddy! Seeing first hand the improvement this made, I'm wondering if the same thing will happen if I upgrade my monitors to a more "professional" set.

Hoping to gain more insight into my room/sound, I purchased the Alan Parsons monitor analysis package (pink noise test tones with DB monitor) and came up with some interesting results which I graphed here: http://www.shopjt3.com/images/monitor_analysis.jpg Note, there are 3 graphs: Alesis L+R+Sub; Alesis L+R with no sub; and Sub only. My Monitors are 20 inches from walls. Distance between monitors is about 47 inches. Distance from monitor to my working position is about 27 inches.

I have no clue where to go from here. Are the dramatic changes in frequency information due to the monitors, the power amp, or my room? Should I add an EQ to adjust for this when mixing, and then take it off on the burn? Should I use this EQ to make my monitors as flat as possible? Would I be better off ditching the whole system for something like the Adams A7's + a Blue sky sub? I really have no clue what to do...why dont they teach this stuff in school?!

I write music for films as well as progressive rock. My goal is to get my stuff to translate as well as possible to other home stereos / TVs & movie theaters. I hope to eventually hire out my mixing / mastering, but dont have the budget to do so yet. Of course, the catch 22 is your music needs to sound professional in order to get the professional gigs to afford professional mixing help! Here is an example of my most recent film score. Does this sound professional? How well does it translate on your system? http://www.fieldsfaraway.com/final.html

Sorry for the long post, but I'm new to this stuff and really have no clue what to do. However, I am determined and willing to learn, and would appreciate any comments, questions, advice you're willing to share.

Thank you in advance for your reply!
-Jonathan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search