The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inward Connections Discreet Plus Mic pre Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

Inward Connections Discreet Plus Mic pre

I just bought this dual channel preamp used for $1000.00. Mainly for tracking electric guitar. It sounds great, very api ish. i decided to try it on vocals with a u47, and holy crap! this thing sounds amazing! absolutely no eq needed, other than a hi pass filter. it sounds better than my 1073's. I can see why these sold for 2 grand new. Anyone else use one? Anyone have any info at all about these? I know where i can get 2 more.

peace,

johnny
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

i got one when he 1st made them..... they are sick. everything ive heard that he makes is great.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

do they still make the preamp?i don't see it on the website
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

I don't think this pre is made anymore. ir uses the same 690 op amps that are in their new summing mixer, which sound amazing
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

wonder why .I thought that was a new unit
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

I know where you can buy a used one for $1275, actually i know of two at this price. Although i got mine for $1000.00, this pre is still a steal at $1275.00. I've always been a fan of the api 500 series, especially for drums and rock guitars. But the inward connections is quite a step up. Clean electric guitars, and vocals, sound soo amazing. Its a one rackspce unit with external psu. 2 channels each with sweepable lp and hp filters, phase reverse 20db pad, xlr line ins, and phantom power. It is done in neve gray with gray and red knobs. The word discrete, is mispelled on the faceplate (Discreet). Heck i may buy the other two up, and have six channels to work with.

peace johnny
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Wow!!! Where can I get my hands on this!!! You must know what you're talking about, because you only have four posts but they're all about Inward Connections preamps!!!! You the man!!!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

is that a tube preamp
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

all solid state with transformer in and out, uses the inward connections 690 op amp.
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Inward Connections Discrete Plus Mic Pre

This is Steve Firlotte of Inward Connections. Glad you like my Discrete Plus Mic Pre. BTW, fyi...discrete means separate or distinct whereas discreet means tactful or careful. I'd like to consider my unit as very distinct from others. I built 50 of these units 14 years ago in 1993. Other products would be shown at vintageking.com. Most of my products are custombuilt.

Thank you.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great to see you on here, Steve.

I just acquired an Inward Connections DEQ-4P prototype unit. It is indeed distinctive and superb in sound, function and build. A wonderful device.

I just wanted to express appreciation to you for building such superb, discete equipment. It is certainly a cut above.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

ps - steve is an incredible tech also. very great service. (serviced pultecs of mine)

regards,
electric
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Steve, great job on the Summing box. I liked it above all the other units in the Vintage King Shootout.

Question is, where can I find one of your Discrete plus Mic pre's??
Very interested..
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

google the gear orphanage, they have one for sale for $1275, also if you google inward connections for sale, you'll find one that is on craig's list for the same price. The 690 op amps are probably the best i've heard. they're used in the new Inward Summing mixer as well. This is the finest analog summing buss you'll ever hear. Check out Vintage king's summing mixer shootout page and listen for yourself. You'll hear why the 690 op amp is so special. I am going to buy this summing box soon!
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Its wierd, usually when i track big electric guitars i'll use an sm57 on one speaker, and a royer style ribbon on another each 3 inches away from the grille, going through 2 channels of neve or two api's. But when i started using the inward connections pre, i found myself ditching the royer track, and just sticking with 1 sm57, and the sound was tremendous. I also noticed this same larger than life sound when auditioning the 690 summing mixer. Every instrument has its own space, and the mixes sound deep and wide, while the same track through the other summing mixers sounds cluttered, and unclear, especially on the Neve box, which really surprised me. Kudos to Steve for that glorious 690 amplifier!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

The Craigslist post was created by The Gear Orphanage. I think we know who Johnny Knight works for.

I guess you can't blame someone for trying to sell a product via planned out word of mouth testimonials. Although, I really am interested in this product.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search