The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most versatile LDC mic pair? Condenser Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Most versatile LDC mic pair?

looking to buy a used pair of LDC mics for all-purpose use to compliment my Oktava SDC mics.

plan to use these for instruments, percussion, drum overheads, etc.
my price range is about $600.

so far i've been looking at:
shure ksm32's
AT 4047's or 4050's

open to suggestions...

cheers
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I really like the AT4050's. I'm glad I bought a pair of them. Plus they're multi-pattern and excel at M-S. I've become a big fan of the Audio Technica mics over the years. The AT4047 is nice and a pair would be really nice... I don't know if you could find a pair for $600, if you can I'd pick them up - that would be a steal.

-- Adam Lazlo

Last edited by AdamLazlo; 31st August 2007 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: clairify
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I got two 4047s for $500, brand new. Killer deal, but I'm not sure they'd be what you need - they're not "do all" mics. They CAN cover lots of ground, but that depends on you liking their rather distinct character - these mics have a definite sound. I happen to like it a lot, so I'm happy to throw one in front of a kick, on a bass cab, a guitar amp, an amplified Wurli, backing vox, or put two up in Glyn Johns style. I like midrange, I like lows, I like a minimum of high end. 4047s aren't dark, maybe, but close to it - the highs roll off, the mids feel big, and the lows are nice'n'woolly. For general use stuff at friendly prices, I'm pretty fond of the KSM series mics- I've yet to use one I didn't like.
Old 31st August 2007

You will want multi pattern for the most versitility. A pair of AT 4050 isn't a bad choice - the other obvious one would be the flat AKG 414 from some era.

I like the B-ULS the best so far.

On the other hand, the M179 from CAD is suprisingly good for a whole lot less money.

-tINY

Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have just one, but I have heard from good sources that the pair is killer. ADK hamburg or viennas. Its in your price range, good to check it out.
Old 31st August 2007
Jai guru deva om

+1 on the CAD M179.

The AT4050 is indeed a nice mic in the neutral range.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search