The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interfacing 828mkII and Central Station Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Interfacing 828mkII and Central Station

We're putting together a system in a smaller room with a MOTU 828mkII and Presonus Central Station for monitor control for multiple speaker sets. I'm not sure about proper gain-staging, given the MOTU's specific outputs.

If my control room stereo signal is going out the 828's dedicated "Main"outputs (L-R), where should I set the 828's internal volume so as to interface properly with the Central Station? 0 dB?

Or, given that the MOTU's "Main" outputs are designed to interface directly with powered monitors, should I instead send my control room feed (the stereo bus) out analog outputs 1-2 to the Central Station?

Anyone out there use an 828mkII with the Central Station and can shed some light?

Many thanks.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Im no professional, but i might be able to throw out a starting place for you.

i would think you should set the main out on the MOTU so that the signal going into the central station is clean, with no clipping, and not maxing out the AD converters on the Central station. then you can use the central station to control the volume level to the monitors.

Rob
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

If I were you I'd connect both the main and S/PDIF outputs on the 828 to the Central Station (that is, if you don't already have something else in mind for the S/PDIF input on the Central Station) and compare the two to see which sounds better. I have a Central Station and haven't bothered to A/B its converters agains anything else, but I do use them quite a bit and they sound pretty good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search