The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I the only one that likes "mids?"
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Am I the only one that likes "mids?"

I have been auditioning some mics lately. One thing that I have noticed is that some of the more expensive mics seem to have midrange attenuated or are a bit "stifled" in what I would call the "brown" area. I understand that a lot of people like this sound but I want to be able to make that choice with an eq after the fact. The next thing I noticed is that some of the lower priced mics had what I would consider a nice mid range but maybe not as nice on top (say 8K and above). Is there something about cheaper mics that I like in the midrange or is it that builders try to make that "radio ready" sound in the mic. I have not only noticed this in mics but speakers as well. I listened to a pair of K&H monitors and just found that the mids were squeezed out of the box where as some lesser expensive monitors (say Tannoy Reveal passives) sound a bit boxy but the midrange is at least there. Maybe I am crazy and heave developed a love for a loathed frequency band but I know that I hear more midrange in the rooms of the actual instruments and amps. Has anyone ever found this to be true or am I going through a mid-frequency crisis?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I love midrange. so do a lot of people. that is the marshall sound, right?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't know

If the object of building in a scooped mid is to solve the problem of not liking the mids..it seems backwards to me. If it leaves off some mid, aren't you going to boost to make up for missing mids? When it got to a different system; it seems as if it would have a build up in the mid area because of it. Maybe I'm just dumb...that usually is the case.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

No, I just hate the mids!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I recently co-designed a guitar amp that has a low mid and hi mid control. It turned out so good, we are looking into making it a product. No scooping mids, just lots of control of where you want them to hit. It is the ultimate midrange crunchy amp. A 50 watt ROCK amp, no scooped metal tones here. More to come over the next few months. There are a lot of other tricks to it that I cannot yet reveal. I am sure I will have it demo'd by plenty of fellow gearslutz.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't scooped my damn mids! I guess that's why I immediately sold my Elux 251 after a couple projects. I am a u47ish kinda guy.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think more of the problem of the mids is arriving at some sort of "separation" of the mid range.

Love Marshalls, but without going thru greenbacks I am not as crazy about the mids.
Old 30th August 2007
Nope. I love mid's.

Especially the ones on Highway to Hell...

D.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, so you like mids but do you find that more than a lot of todays mics add a slight smile curve to the response? Just want to see if I was the only one noticing this.

Another example is an old Fender Deluxe Reverb vs. todays newer Fender tube amps they just don't go deep enough in the mids.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I dont hear a scoop with new mics...but not really paying attention to that....however I do have a problem with modern mixes that don't seem to have any sweet low mids at all....maybe a different thread...btw a good outboard eq with let you dial in sweet mids....
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

mids are a must
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

r84 baby... mids for days.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
I dont hear a scoop with new mics...but not really paying attention to that....however I do have a problem with modern mixes that don't seem to have any sweet low mids at all....maybe a different thread...btw a good outboard eq with let you dial in sweet mids....
I definitely agree with mixes. However, that is sort of my point. Are more people digging the scooped mids so builder build accordingly. I am not saying it is right or wrong just wondering if it is a trend.

Will have to try an R84.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I recently co-designed a guitar amp that has a low mid and hi mid control. It turned out so good, we are looking into making it a product. No scooping mids, just lots of control of where you want them to hit. It is the ultimate midrange crunchy amp. A 50 watt ROCK amp, no scooped metal tones here. More to come over the next few months. There are a lot of other tricks to it that I cannot yet reveal. I am sure I will have it demo'd by plenty of fellow gearslutz.
Is it called the Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage II?

all about the mids
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post
Is it called the Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage II?

all about the mids
Say that to me after you hear and see it.

It will eat a Mesa. Mesa are the cheapest and ****test made amps of that price range. They are a disgrace.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

It will eat a Mesa. Mesa are the cheapest and ****test made amps of that price range. They are a disgrace.
Funny story...

I was playing a party for Steve Cropper. A few guys were going to get up and jam but Robin Ford couldn't a "nut" on my amp (Mesa Boogie Nomad 45). Ha!

I have to agree somewhat with Robin (I don't know much of his work), if you are into old Fenders the Mesa ain't going to cut it!

...it was a blessing in disguise 'cause who knows how long that jam would have went when everybody starts drinking!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post

I was playing a party for Steve Cropper.
This is like delivering a sermon to the Pope.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Mids are where the magic happens. Where the magic lives. Where the magic and its pet unicorns make the best sounds possible. Curving out the midrange is pretty much EQing out everything the human ear was designed to respond nicely to.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
This is like delivering a sermon to the Pope.
Yeah, I am a fan. James Burton came and stood by me for a good portion of the show. I'm a guitar player but I have never been that into guitar players...

...now if James Jamerson was there

...he'd be alive!
Old 31st August 2007
500 series nutjob

got to have the mids!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I strongly recommend you check out the Shure KSM32. smooth top and very even though the mids.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
r84 baby... mids for days.

gregoire
del
ubk
Sweet ) i have 2 on the way heh

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Dave Pearlmans new TM-2s have great mids, not hyped on top either and never harsh, i tracked a female vocal today and have been using them on every tracking session since i got them

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have have had Mesa products for years, while they may be over priced, they are hardly ****tily made. Mine have been through countless shows and studio sessions and are still flawless. tutt
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

I love mids too,....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard
One thing that I have noticed is that some of the more expensive mics seem to have midrange attenuated or are a bit "stifled"
agreed. too many mics going for "high freq detail" before "midrange body." imho
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Derrick View Post
I love mids too,....

agreed. too many mics going for "high freq detail" before "midrange body." imho
Yeah! just a theory here...often wondered if during the slick era of the 80's going into the 90's, manufacturers made some mics that accentuated the high end to compensate for any high end loss on tape playback. Add the beloved smiley curve mix sound and I can see some products being geared for this out of the box.
This may be part of the reason that some guys thought digital was harsh as they were still eqing with "tape playback" mentality using these hyped mics. May be why ribbon mics have made a nice comback in this digital age. Warm, natural, top end roll off. Goes nicely with transparent recording.
I love ribbons. Used my 2 R84s yesterday as close room mics on drums and a single 84 for tambourine and shaker. Placed a 3 piece vocal group around a stereo ribbon R88 last night. They were blown away at how large, natural, unhyped the sound was.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Yeah! just a theory here...often wondered if during the slick era of the 80's going into the 90's, manufacturers made some mics that accentuated the high end to compensate for any high end loss on tape playback. Add the beloved smiley curve mix sound and I can see some products being geared for this out of the box.
This may be part of the reason that some guys thought digital was harsh as they were still eqing with "tape playback" mentality using these hyped mics. Maybe why ribbon mics have made a nice comback in this digital age. Warm, natural, top end roll off. Goes nicely with transparent recording.
I love ribbons. Used my 2 R84s yesterday as close room mics on drums and a single 84 for tambourine and shaker. Placed a 3 piece vocal group around a stereo ribbon R88 last night. They were blown away at how large, natural, unhyped the sound was.
Very well could be. I have used ribbons on horns but I haven't used them on drums because the ones that I have tried lacked a little snap. However, they work well with the cymbal to drum ratio. I am a bigger fan of less mics on the drums so that really prevents me from using a mix. I have tried it and I really don't like how the drums smear a bit. I like your theory about tape makes me wanna try the anamod.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
Very well could be. I have used ribbons on horns but I haven't used them on drums because the ones that I have tried lacked a little snap. However, they work well with the cymbal to drum ratio. I am a bigger fan of less mics on the drums so that really prevents me from using a mix. I have tried it and I really don't like how the drums smear a bit. I like your theory about tape makes me wanna try the anamod.
For me there's nothing like a pair of Coles 4038s over a set of drums. If well placed in a nice room all other drum mics become subservient to this pair in the drum mix. R84s sound awesome as close room mics on drums as well.
I believe someone posted a thread about the anamod many months ago. Do a search. Last I heard it still wasn't available. Oddly enough it's software counterpart Digi Tape Saturation suite (plug-in) has been out for a while at this point. Go figure.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm always scooping some when mixing.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Whoever invented mids is stupid.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search