The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I the only one that likes "mids?"
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLueROom View Post

I have have had Mesa products for years, while they may be over priced, they are hardly ****tily made. Mine have been through countless shows and studio sessions and are still flawless. tutt
open them up. I own a dual recti along with about 100 other tube amps. the mesa's are the cheapest built of any amp. I stand by that. Open it up. Paper Thin PCB. I am not disputing the sound merits of them, just the build quality.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
open them up. I own a dual recti along with about 100 other tube amps. the mesa's are the cheapest built of any amp. I stand by that. Open it up. Paper Thin PCB. I am not disputing the sound merits of them, just the build quality.
Ive played Marshall all my life, and been using Mesa F50 for about a year, not looking back as well. Mesa has a great tube sound.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Whoever invented mids is stupid.
come on Patrox my friend i disagree, mids is where its at, who wants to hear a scooped out vocal track....
I do not like everything full of mids, but if you do not have enough mids in rock and roll , guess what ? your mix is gonna be scooped out and want be very loud either.

Im gonna have to give you some audio lessons with that Trident you have for sell.....lol
Old 1st September 2007

IMHO I think there is a bit of confusion going on here.

World class mics and speakers reproduce the whole spectrum with extended highs and lows - that's what you pay for - this gives the impression of scooped mids - when in reality they are there in the correct proportion, but as a ratio to the rest of the freq. spectrum appear scooped.

Full range monitors sound mid light, (they're not) when compared to NS10's that's why people like NS10's - it's a really an audio illusion.

my 2 cents

Trebor
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

As you will notice outside of maybe 1 or 2 samples that ALL rap music the mids is scooped out to excite the bass
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor Flow View Post
IMHO I think there is a bit of confusion going on here.

World class mics and speakers reproduce the whole spectrum with extended highs and lows - that's what you pay for - this gives the impression of scooped mids - when in reality they are there in the correct proportion, but as a ratio to the rest of the freq. spectrum appear scooped.

Full range monitors sound mid light, (they're not) when compared to NS10's that's why people like NS10's - it's a really an audio illusion.

my 2 cents

Trebor
Although, I can see your point. Extending both ends of the spectrum doesn't make the mids scoop. If you extend and boost then maybe.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Ive played Marshall all my life, and been using Mesa F50 for about a year, not looking back as well. Mesa has a great tube sound.
Like I said, I am not disputing the merits of the sound of Mesa amps. there is a reason why they are so popular. They have a sound and they are versatile. They (all models) are built like crap, and some models tend to have noise issues. No need to aruge. Open yours up. Then open up a Soldano, THD, VHT, Bogner...
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

to me 'scooped mids' isn't about the quantity of mids so much as the quality. i get that there are less mids in relation to other freqs, but more important to me is that those mids will have a distant, hollow vibe. also, they fall farther and farther away until they reach some center point which has the least amount of energy, then they begin to rise again, which creates a sense of distance and a lack of immediacy.

when i think of 'scooped mids' i tend to think of a smile shape with its deepest point somewhere between 1 and 2k, and the highs rise back up to a level roughly equal to the lows. personally, i have no love for that sound. the recordings i enjoy the most from a tonal standpoint tend to be fairly linear until 2-4k when they gradually (and sometimes not-so-gradually) roll off. there may be small lifts somewhere around 6k, 8k, and/or 16k, but things are always heading down that cliff.

as for mics with a scooped sensibility, i tend to not like those either. give me bold/creamy/aggressive/whatever mids and i'm a happy man.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 1st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I recently co-designed a guitar amp that has a low mid and hi mid control. It turned out so good, we are looking into making it a product. No scooping mids, just lots of control of where you want them to hit. It is the ultimate midrange crunchy amp. A 50 watt ROCK amp, no scooped metal tones here. More to come over the next few months. There are a lot of other tricks to it that I cannot yet reveal. I am sure I will have it demo'd by plenty of fellow gearslutz.
WANT!
Old 1st September 2007
The difference between scooped mids and somthing with a greated high/lw to mid ration is phase shift cause by scooping rather than a tone cuase by the tonal qualities of the circuit/signal path.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
WANT!
as soon as the final prototypes are in, I'll let you know. . thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
to me 'scooped mids' isn't about the quantity of mids so much as the quality. i get that there are less mids in relation to other freqs, but more important to me is that those mids will have a distant, hollow vibe. also, they fall farther and farther away until they reach some center point which has the least amount of energy, then they begin to rise again, which creates a sense of distance and a lack of immediacy.

when i think of 'scooped mids' i tend to think of a smile shape with its deepest point somewhere between 1 and 2k, and the highs rise back up to a level roughly equal to the lows. personally, i have no love for that sound. the recordings i enjoy the most from a tonal standpoint tend to be fairly linear until 2-4k when they gradually (and sometimes not-so-gradually) roll off. there may be small lifts somewhere around 6k, 8k, and/or 16k, but things are always heading down that cliff.

as for mics with a scooped sensibility, i tend to not like those either. give me bold/creamy/aggressive/whatever mids and i'm a happy man.

gregoire
del
ubk
Well stated thumbsup
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
WANT!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search