The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MOTU 8Pre Questions.......
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

MOTU 8Pre Questions.......

Hey all,

I searched the forum, but did not find the answers i was looking for.

I do some scoring work, and i make instrumentals with my MPC synced to Logic Express (I am a student, but im going to jump to Pro once i have everything else sorted first).Now, i mix alot and have alot of projects for school that come in PT session files. plus i have come to love mixing via PT and have become very comfortable in PT.

I had an mbox2, but sold it, didnt like the sound it was giving me. I want to get a digi 002 for working in PT. But i have the chance to buy a MOTU 8Pre for pretty cheap.

Now can i think i should not have a problem hooking the MOTU to the Digi002 via Optical in on the 002 when i can afford the 002. so thats 16 inputs.

Now here comes the questions, there are only 2 for now.

1) Does the Digi002 have bad latency problem with Logic? would i be better off using the MOTU for Logic and the 002 for PT separately?

2) Would using the MPC 2000XL's sequencer to record the midi notes for the software instuments in logic to play back be a better idea then trying to deal with the latency if there is any with the 002?

3) Not really a question, but with the 8Pre chained to the 002 via optical, the midi I/O on the MOTU wont show up in PT correct? i dont think so, but im just making 100%, even tho im pretty positive its a no.

Does anyone have any info on these, or advice for me? i would love anyones input.

Thanks so much,

Rob
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirehooligan View Post
3) Not really a question, but with the 8Pre chained to the 002 via optical, the midi I/O on the MOTU wont show up in PT correct? i dont think so, but im just making 100%, even tho im pretty positive its a no.
8Pre won't show up if you chain them optically. If you daisychain by firewire, or plug them both in to the computer, they will both show up. Well, they will in apps that support more than one audio device, like MOTU DP. I don't know if Logic does. It didn't a while ago.

All these things show up in Digital Performer and I can use them all in tandem- pretty much anything that shows up in the Mac OS.
  1. Two MOTU 828MKIIs
  2. One M-Audio Lightbridge (though it doesn't always play nice with others)
  3. M-Audio Transit
  4. Line6 PODXT Live
  5. Mackie Onyx devices
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

ya i didn't figure the midi would both work when chained optically. But its something i could try when it here to daisy them via fire wire though.
Thanks for answering that for me.

Anyone else have anything?

Rob
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirehooligan View Post
ya i didn't figure the midi would both work when chained optically. But its something i could try when it here to daisy them via fire wire though.
Thanks for answering that for me.

Anyone else have anything?

Rob

You can daisychain the midi, though.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Does the Digi002 have bad latency problem with Logic? would i be better off using the MOTU for Logic and the 002 for PT separately?
Here's my experience... I do work freelance mixing at a writer's productions suite that is using Logic 7 with a ProTools TDM system. It is the most unstable piece of crap that I have to work with. I also to freelance work for a guy with a Logic 7/MOTU combo. Works like a dream. Very low latency.
Quote:
2) Would using the MPC 2000XL's sequencer to record the midi notes for the software instuments in logic to play back be a better idea then trying to deal with the latency if there is any with the 002?
I'm not familiar with the MPCs... are you saying you want to use the MPC to trigger software synths in logic? If so i can't see why this would be a problem. But there is latency with everything that has to go through a AD or DA (or both)converter
Quote:
Only one interface will show at a time. So if you've got your 002 as the active interface and your optical from MOTU feeding into it, then what you'll see is more inputs available to use with your 002. The MOTU's midi would not show up.

A side-note worth mentioning... I'm not sure how much those "8pre" units go for but a better choice would be a first generation (non HD, cheaper.. better in my opinion) MOTU 896. They have Balanced XLR inputs and outputs across all 8 channels. It was one of the wisest first purchases I made when I was in your position a few years back. Now that I have higher-end outboard preamps/channel strips that I use instead, I just bypass the preamps and use the 896s as AD/DA converters. Likewise when it comes time to make use of outboard gear, it's a breeze because all outputs are already XLR... no need for adapters.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
Here's my experience... I do work freelance mixing at a writer's productions suite that is using Logic 7 with a ProTools TDM system. It is the most unstable piece of crap that I have to work with. I also to freelance work for a guy with a Logic 7/MOTU combo. Works like a dream. Very low latency.
Ok i figured that would be the case as the hardware wasnt made to be used by other software, thats fine tho. But it does bring me to another question. If i had both the 8Pre and 002, and was working in logic i would use the MOTU as the audio interface, but could i hook the 002 Via optical into the MOTU and use it as another set of inputs. The when i need to work in PT, i could just swap it around with the 002 as the main interface, and the 8pre feeding the 002's optical inputs. Right?

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the MPCs... are you saying you want to use the MPC to trigger software synths in logic? If so i can't see why this would be a problem. But there is latency with everything that has to go through a AD or DA (or both)converter
No, i would use the MPC as my master, and Logic as the slave. the MPC recording the MIDI data from my outboard synths, and logic recording all the software synths midi when i use them. I need to have the MPC as the master to retain the Swing settings as far as i know. the latency i worried about if with the midi controller for the software synths, But im sure i would get used it it and work around it.

Quote:
A side-note worth mentioning... I'm not sure how much those "8pre" units go for but a better choice would be a first generation (non HD, cheaper.. better in my opinion) MOTU 896. They have Balanced XLR inputs and outputs across all 8 channels. It was one of the wisest first purchases I made when I was in your position a few years back. Now that I have higher-end outboard preamps/channel strips that I use instead, I just bypass the preamps and use the 896s as AD/DA converters. Likewise when it comes time to make use of outboard gear, it's a breeze because all outputs are already XLR... no need for adapters.

The 8pre i can buy is going to run me like $400. Once you mentioned the 828 have 8 I/O, i went back to the 8pre, and it only has 8 inputs, and outputs only by the LR monitor out, the optical outs, or via firewire into the DAW. It does not have outputs for each channel.

My roommate years ago had a 828, but i was into DJing then not recording so i didnt even look at it. Can i chain a 828 to the 002 via optical and use it as another 8 I/O for PT like i would be able to do with the 8Pre and digi002?

Thanks so much for both of your answer, this is a great help.

Rob
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Now that I have higher-end outboard preamps/channel strips that I use instead, I just bypass the preamps and use the 896s as AD/DA converters.
Can the 8pre's preamps be bypassed?

Mark
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Watch it, 8 out of 10 the Logic/TDM setup will work with the DAE and/or direct TDM drivers, while the Logic/MOTU combo works with Coreaudio. I know out of experience that DAE/DirectTDM is unstable like crazy, while Coreaudio isn't.

If he would work with the DIGI002, he can just work in Coreaudio, wich won't make a big difference in stability, although I really like MOTU gear (2408 standing here next to me), and love their stability.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know if the 8pre's preamps can be bypassed. You'll have to do some research on the unit.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I dont know if you can bypass the pre's either, but i would imagine you could. but then again maybe not.

Im thinking about going with the Digi002, and a MOTU 828MKII right now. I cant afford a Rosetta 800 or anything too high end, because i am poor and could use the price difference in other places right now.

I figure i would route my 8 outs from the MPC into the 828 and route them into the digi002 via optical, and pass my other inputs into the 002. And when im working in logic, ill just swap the interfaces around if the 002 is giving me more latency then the 828 in Logic.

Im looking into this because i have the mbox2 right now. I bought it for mixing in the box in PT for my school assignments. And im tired of tacking beats threw the 2 inputs, in many passes, with crappy AD conversion. So i figured the 002 with the BLA mod and a 828 would solve that. Along with only being able to track 2 inputs at a time, sometimes i have to nudge tracks around to get them back in phase, almost like the mbox2's converters arent locking to a soild internal clock source.

Thanks guys, this is helping alot.

Rob
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Spend a little more and get a Digimax FS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search