The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lunchbox into ProTools LE Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Lunchbox into ProTools LE

It seems most of the Lunchbox threads are in High End, so I thought I might get more responses here than in Low End or Computers:

If you have an LE interface such as the 002 or 003, what are you using to convert your signal from the Lunchbox? I've seen a few threads such as this one: 2 converters with 002r?

that mention the Rosetta 800 and the Aurora Lynx, but that is about double my budget...all I've seen in the $1100-1200 range is an RME, which only seems to do 2 channels of conversion through ADAT. The Rosetta 200 is only 2 channels as well. If I'm using ADAT I would want at least 4 channels, if not 8, otherwise I'd go SPDIF and spend the money on the API A2D instead of going Lunchbox.

Is there an ADAT converter that does a full 8 channels in that price range? Are you getting good results just going Line-In? (that would be helpful to know) I'm not expecting a Lunchbox with built in converters or a Digidesign Lunchbox that you could slide your own 500 series pres into anytime soon...unless Black Lion could hack one of those!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

wow, was it the Digidesign Lunchbox joke?

does the silence mean I have to buck up and get a Rosetta or is there really no one with a set of Lunchbox pres going into an LE system?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzjunkie View Post
wow, was it the Digidesign Lunchbox joke?

does the silence mean I have to buck up and get a Rosetta or is there really no one with a set of Lunchbox pres going into an LE system?
I have a lunchbox and an 002. I used the internal converters on the 002 for quite awhile with my lunch box with good results. I got a Rosetta 800 about 6 months ago and it has improved the situation...but you can definitely benefit from using really good outboard with the stock 002

the cool thing now with the stock oo2 and oo3 with PTLE 7.3.1 is that if you use your lunchbox modules in the mix and rerecord them to a fresh track PTLE now compensates for the recording latency.

I still have nudge files because the Rosettas converter converts more quicly than the Digi converters and thererfor are overcompensated for
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzjunkie View Post
It seems most of the Lunchbox threads are in High End, so I thought I might get more responses here than in Low End or Computers:

If you have an LE interface such as the 002 or 003, what are you using to convert your signal from the Lunchbox? I've seen a few threads such as this one:

the lunchbox will run fine w/ an 002/003. you dont need any other interfaces/conversion to use a lunchbox. thats what the ins and outs are there for on an 002/003. now if you want better AD/DA conversion than the Digidesign LE interfaces offer, thats a different story.

for the price range you want an interface to be in, it is difficult to find more than two channels of top notch AD/DA. ive heard good things about the digimax FS's conversion. its $600 and you get 8 extra decent preamps. maybe find a used RME Fireface 800? that should be right in your price range. has 8 I/O's.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

A lunchbox pre into the 002 converters at 96khz sound pretty good. However almost any aftermarket converter is alot better. (If you have good monitoring) You will notice right away. I personally rent Apogee's when I need the extra oomph so to speak. But I recently got the Frontier Design's Tango 24 and it is really really good for the money. However is limited to 48khz. But STILL sounds better than an 002r at 96k. Bye quite a large margin. The Apogee really shines as the frequencies get higher.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
A lunchbox pre into the 002 converters at 96khz sound pretty good. However almost any aftermarket converter is alot better. (If you have good monitoring) You will notice right away. I personally rent Apogee's when I need the extra oomph so to speak. But I recently got the Frontier Design's Tango 24 and it is really really good for the money. However is limited to 48khz. But STILL sounds better than an 002r at 96k. Bye quite a large margin. The Apogee really shines as the frequencies get higher.
on the Tango 24. Paid $350 for mine and is leagues better than my stock 001 converters.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

You could always send your 002 to Black Lion for a converter upgrade. It would cost you less than buying a new unit.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I have a lunchbox and an 002. I used the internal converters on the 002 for quite awhile with my lunch box with good results. I got a Rosetta 800 about 6 months ago and it has improved the situation...but you can definitely benefit from using really good outboard with the stock 002

the cool thing now with the stock oo2 and oo3 with PTLE 7.3.1 is that if you use your lunchbox modules in the mix and rerecord them to a fresh track PTLE now compensates for the recording latency.

I still have nudge files because the Rosettas converter converts more quicly than the Digi converters and thererfor are overcompensated for
Does 7.3.1 really have Automatic Delay Compensation now? Thank god!
somebody please verify!

jake
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

thanks for the replies! it's good to know that going line in from the Lunchbox yields good results...i can upgrade to higher end converters later...just read a thread about better pre or converter first and the verdict seemed to be a better pre made a bigger difference!

hadn't thought about renting converters...i'll have to look into that!

as for the digimax and fireface...don't need the additional pres, that's what the Lunchbox is for. there is an RME ( the ADI-2 ) that just does conversion in my budget, but it only does 2 channels...i'll check out the Tango though as I wasn't aware of it at all.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob eli View Post
Does 7.3.1 really have Automatic Delay Compensation now? Thank god!
somebody please verify!

jake

No im sure it doesnt, i am always phase aligning with delay compensation on busses with plugs etc. Where the volume digits are displayed, if you hold CTRL and left click mouse, it shows the delay value on the channel in samples (how much it is delay by the plugin) so then you can apply delay compensation to the OTHER channel that would not be in phase. No that it wuld show up tracking through a lunch box, but just thought id clarify the fact LE DOES NOT have latency compensation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search