The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
double guitar parts?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

double guitar parts?

How common is it to double guitar tracks? not harmony, or another guitar part but just a straight double
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

extremely
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, when I think of doubled vocals, I can think of a buttload of examples off the top of my head, but when I think of doubled guitar only one or two examples come to mind, is that because guitars mix better with each other than voice, or have I not been paying enough attention to the guitar parts on albums
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Whenever you hear a guitar part that spans wide across the sound stage then it has likely been doubled. Once you learn to recognize the sound you will hear it very commonly on rock records. There's really no other way to get that wide wall of guitar sound that we take for granted these days.

I not only double track guitars on a lot of my projects, I double mic the guitar cab with two very different sounding mics to have even more ability to spread the guitar out. You can do some interesting tricks like put a little delay on one of the tracks and pan toward the middle to add some sense of depth. You can do this with one of the tracks on each guitar part to make the sound bigger or just bring in the extra tracks during choruses for some impact.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1234 View Post
Ok, when I think of doubled vocals, I can think of a buttload of examples off the top of my head, but when I think of doubled guitar only one or two examples come to mind, is that because guitars mix better with each other than voice, or have I not been paying enough attention to the guitar parts on albums

You don't hear it because, usually the parts are tight and it sounds like one big fat guitar. I'd say 99% of the rock you hear on the radio today is at least double tracked.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Depends on what style you listen to. With heavy metal, doubled guitar parts are a de facto standard, especially rythm parts.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Getting a big sound has alot to do with what notes you DON'T play. Imagine if you had 3 or 4 guitarists in the band, if they played the same thing as one another you'll get a dull sound. But if you split up the progession and give each guitarist a different part of the progression you'll start to fill the stereo field with excitment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search