The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hafler Amp Question Studio Amplifiers
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hafler Amp Question

I'm looking to pick up a Hafler amp used. I've got a pair of Dynaudio BM15s and some NS10s lying around, neither of which have an amp. What I'd like to do is get a Hafler P3000 and use it to power the Dyns, then when I have more money, get something else to power them with and then use the P3000 with the NS10s.

Anyway, the p3000 is 200W if set to 4 ohms, the BM15s are rated at 50 watts minumum per side, so theoretically, this should be an ample amount of power, right?

Secondly, the Hafler has gain knobs. It says on their site they can go from +14 to +29db. Part of the reason I want to get the Hafler is because I will be connecting the amp directly to the D/A outs of a Motu HD192. Are the gain pots on the Hafler enough to turn the speaker all the way down (so they're safe from clicks and pops when turning the computer on), or are they just used as an extra gain boost/trim?

Help me out!

Bill
Old 30th August 2007
DAS
Gear Head

I have two Haflers (sorry I don't remember the models off hand) and the level controls on both of them do not go all the way to zero (silent).
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a P3000 powering my Dyn BM6 speakers.

The knob is just for attenuating a high output device. I keep mine trimmed all the way down, and still have to use a pair of inline pads going into the P3000.

BTW, those attenuation pots are not calibrated on mine (read: they are not in synch).
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I have a P3000 powering my Dyn BM6 speakers.

The knob is just for attenuating a high output device. I keep mine trimmed all the way down, and still have to use a pair of inline pads going into the P3000.

BTW, those attenuation pots are not calibrated on mine (read: they are not in synch).
Not sure I understand your post.. the passive attenuators arent in synch? What exactly does that mean??

Also, does anyone want to tell me what the cleanest possible option for a gain pot would be? I'd like to have the purest signal possible with as little stuff in the signal's path possible..
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry.

What I mean is when I turn both trim pots all the way down, one side is more attenuated than the other. This might just be my unit, though.
Old 31st August 2007
DAS
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 View Post

Also, does anyone want to tell me what the cleanest possible option for a gain pot would be? I'd like to have the purest signal possible with as little stuff in the signal's path possible..
The cleanest attenuation is with resistors. A stepped attenuator is what you would want. This is a type of pot that steps through a series of increasingly higher value resistors to attenuate the signal. High quality ones can be fairly expensive because they must be built by hand. I don't happen to know of units commercially available, though I'm sure there are some. I'm sure there are other stand alone gain pot solutions that aren't stepped. Those wouldn't be as accurate, or as well balanced between left and right, but the cost savings could be significant. Perhaps others can chime in with specifics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search