The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SE Reflexion (or something else) for Royers on piano? Ribbon Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

SE Reflexion (or something else) for Royers on piano?

Hi,
I have a pair of Royer 121's that I use on certain songs on my piano. More often than not I use them head to head, X/Y over the soundboard. It works out well for me, but I am wondering if something like a Reflexion stuck over the 2 mics would result in a dryer more focused sound.
So....anyone try this in a similar application?
Anyone have a good DIY solution for this?
Thanks all,
Phil
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well yeah obviously the ribbons are Fig8 so they're going to pick up a lot of room. It can be really nice but if you want it dried up there's not much better than a reflection filter to do it for you. You could of course make up something yourself using some foam. You'll just have to be a bit creative about how you get it in place.

J
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
I am wondering if something like a Reflexion stuck over the 2 mics would result in a dryer more focused sound.
You'd do a lot better using conventional absorber panels on the ceiling over the piano.

--Ethan
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses.
The thing is.....Most of the reflections seem like they'd be coming from the piano lid itself, not the ceiling.
Treating the ceiling is not really an option for me anyway. The piano doesn't live in my downstairs studio but upstairs in a living room....
I suppose treating the underside of the piano lid with foam would be a possible option. But the Reflexion, if it worked well, would be easily removed, and also usable for other applications.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

in that case, I'd take the lid off and use a Reflexion Filter, or even the smaller version (which work very well too)
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
Most of the reflections seem like they'd be coming from the piano lid itself, not the ceiling.
Yes, if the lid is not all the way open or removed.

If you open the lid all the way or remove it completely, that will help a lot.

--Ethan
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search