The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with cutting large amounts of Rock/mineral wool
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Help with cutting large amounts of Rock/mineral wool

I'm going to be buying 4 X 2 panels of rockwool to get rid of my corners. I'm doing floor to ceiling...completely. So, I need triangles. I figure if I cut them down the middle; I've got 2 X 2' squares. Then I'm going to cut them in half for triangles to lose the corners. If I try to cut them with a utility knife, it might take forever. Any easy methods? Electric bread knife seems easy enough. Is that the best option..ya think?

Thanks.
Old 30th August 2007

Scissors.

-tINY

Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

Just a large kitchen knife. Keep it sharp. smooth blade works better as rockwool/mineral wool will fall apart. It's really easy. After cutting, just wrap them in 4lb polybatting. I did that exact thing and have 0 dust fibres. I recommend doing this outside and have them wrapped up before bringing them inside. - It works
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
I had to cut a lot of pieces and it turned out that a utility knife was the best thing. Get the snap-off kind because you can extend them out long enough to cut through 2" in one pass. Get a bunch of refills and replace the blade after a dozen cuts or so. A sharp razor and you can cut through that stuff FAST like a foot per second with pretty good accuracy. That was the fastest process for me. The only thing faster would require stacking them and having a really long blade.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
I'm going to be buying 4 X 2 panels of rockwool to get rid of my corners. I'm doing floor to ceiling...completely. So, I need triangles. I figure if I cut them down the middle; I've got 2 X 2' squares. Then I'm going to cut them in half for triangles to lose the corners. If I try to cut them with a utility knife, it might take forever. Any easy methods? Electric bread knife seems easy enough. Is that the best option..ya think?

Thanks.
that should work fine. As others said use a knife.. Also wear gloves, hat, mask, long sleeve shirt, pants, glasses and hat. Be sure to do this outside if you can.

Glenn
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I used a regular handsaw when I did my DIY rockwool panels and wall insulation. It leaves a kind of a rough edge, but cuts like butter. IIRC, a utility knife takes a couple of passes and was too slow for my liking.

Put a tarp down to collect all the droppings. It flakes off easily, so much that you have to be a little careful handling it so it doesn't break apart.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I put over 2 tons in my studio. Everything was cut with a large serrated bread knife.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 30th August 2007
jdg
Lives for gear

mask is a must!

and bread nife works awesome
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
I had to cut a lot of pieces and it turned out that a utility knife was the best thing. Get the snap-off kind because you can extend them out long enough to cut through 2" in one pass. Get a bunch of refills and replace the blade after a dozen cuts or so. A sharp razor and you can cut through that stuff FAST like a foot per second with pretty good accuracy. That was the fastest process for me. The only thing faster would require stacking them and having a really long blade.
Utilty knife. An electric knife is going to spew that horrible stuff everywhere. They should make a body condom for this. It will get into the most unlikely parts of your body and remind yuo of how comfortable the "pre room treatment days" were.

Utility knife.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
Is that the best option..ya think?
use a normal handsaw - that's what the pro insulation guys use...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

i used a bread knife for both rockwool and OC703

WASH IT WHEN YOU'RE DONE...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I tried an electric knife and it was a pita. I ended up using one of these and it worked great.

Stanley Hand Tools : 10-280 - 6-3/4" 18mm Standard Snap-Off Knife
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
I tried an electric knife and it was a pita. I ended up using one of these and it worked great.

That's it!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
I put over 2 tons in my studio. Everything was cut with a large serrated bread knife.

Regards,
Bruce
Im with ya ! i just used a sharp knife or the razor knife

As for the gloves,fasemask,hazordsuit,goggels,snorkel,ect....... its not worth it, you will be miserable and the glass will still find its way into everything

Just get used to wearing a layer of glass till the jobs done

In the first studio we built... Budweiser was the best cure and washed the glass down well and made you feel better

In my new room it was Mountain Dew and coffee

Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

I bought a little handsaw from home depot when I was doing mine. Worked fast & effective.
Old 30th August 2007
"Help with cutting large amounts of Rock/mineral wool"?

Oh is the the time? I really have to go, an important meeting across town.. er well um.. Good luck with it and all.. er gotta go! See Ya!

heh
Old 30th August 2007
A chum of mine brought back some cool looking saws from Japan..
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Just get used to wearing a layer of glass till the jobs done
some of us would end up in the emergency room before we 'got used to' wearing a layer of glass.

different people have different tolerances for that stuff.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

it didn't bother me at all...but it bothered the **** out of my buddy for days...

it was like his skin absorbed the fibers and mine flat out rejected them on contact
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Go with the big bread knife.
Also make a template. Don't cut it free form.
a 4x4 piece of plywood is perfect.

I hope this simplistic picture help.
If you build this template you will save many hours.

D
Attached Thumbnails
Help with cutting large amounts of Rock/mineral wool-template.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh I forgot.
The cut is at 45 degree angle and the 2x4 is at a 90 from the side.

Line up the panels with the sides of the plywood and all will be square.

Good luck!!!

D
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post

BINGO!!!!! That's the bad-boy you want. Every hardware store, Walmart, Target, etc. sells a version of that. Keep replacing the blades every now and then and it'll cut faster than anything on the planet.

FWIW - I did mine in the garage in blistering heat so I wore sneakers and shorts and work gloves. No shirt, no long pants, no mask, no goggles. I was fine - no itching! The razor method cut incredibly easy and CLEAN with no particles in the air.

EDIT: I used foam core (gator board) for templates. Easy to work with, but sturdy.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Actually the pro's use a metal straight edge and a long kitchen knife (at least 8") (That could be my sig line LOL). Hit the Dollar store and pick up a long kitchen knife. It doesn't matter if it's serated or not but if you cut the rockwool on wood (pc. of plywood) instead of a concrete floor it will stay sharp. Use the metal straight edge as a cutting guide and have the long blade at a 45 degree angle or less to the rockwool (NOT 90 degrees). Should cut like butter this way. If one side is foil faced, have that side up while cutting. The problem with utility knifes is that you have to make many passes/cuts to get thru the thick stuff and you don't get a clean cut edge, not so with a long kitchen knife. The kitchen knife is stiff enough that it will give you a nice clean square cut.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I used a C clamp to hold a utility blade. The clamp makes for a great handle. Made making cuts very fast and with much less dust.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyprs View Post
I used a C clamp to hold a utility blade. The clamp makes for a great handle. Made making cuts very fast and with much less dust.
that's a great idea, and not just for fiberglass
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Actually the pro's use a metal straight edge and a long kitchen knife
I think you'll find they are actually called cowboys
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I used an electric jigsaw for my 703 and 705. It was $20 at Home Depot.

And make sure you do it in the shade.
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, Ressurrecting this old thread to share my 2cents of experience. I'm cutting a good amount of triangles from mineral wool panels, they're 70kg/m^3 density and 6 cm thick (2,3 in).

With all type of knife tools I'm facing the same problem: The first 5-6 cuts are smooth, the first 1-2 cut through the fiber like butter and the edges are sharp. Then the blade starts to get dull very quickly and cutting gets more rough results and you need much more force. After all you're cutting throug stone fibers. Utility blades are great, but be prepared to change the blade often. I got a 30 cm kitchen knife from the 1€ store. With it I can cut through 3 panels at once! after about 10-12 cuts I sharpen it coarsely with a sharpening drill bit and off we go again. I also got a 1€ bread knife and the cutting is acceptable during a longer time but after that it just tears too much the fiber. Sharpening the bread knife is more complicated...

So my advice, if you're cutting one panel at a time go with the utility knife (the larger ones) and change blades often as needed.
If you have more panels to cut at once buy the cheapest long knife you can find and sharpen it from time to time.

Last edited by nucelar; 9th November 2017 at 06:02 PM..
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Guru
Take a cold shower to wash it off a hot shower opens your pores, not good. An electric carving knife works great on foam, not sure about rockwool.....
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Guru

I made some panels last year using some 703 that a friend donated to me.

I used an electric turkey carving knife and it worked like a charm
it was the kind with two serrated blades that rapidly slide past each other

I saw upthread people complaining about these, I don't know why, unless they have a different model. Mine works great. It was a million times easier than any knife, shears or whatever.

I originally got it for cutting foam, and IMO, it does that pretty well also.

Just make sure you keep it with the tools and not in the kitchen....
Attached Thumbnails
Help with cutting large amounts of Rock/mineral wool-electric-turkey-carver.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search