The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Something I noticed about guitar recording today
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Something I noticed about guitar recording today

I'm watching Fuse right now, so it's the usual fall out boy, foo fighters, good charlotte, etc. Even saw an anti-flag video on there. Anyhow, what I'm noticing is that it sounds like the electric guitars are recorded at a really low speaker volume and I really dig it. It seems to make room for the bass and adds some clarity to everything. I won't be at the studio till Saturday, or I'd try this out for myself, but is this what I'm hearing? It also sounds like very very low gain on the pre amp tubes too, so I'm kind of counting out the hot plate method with it. Also, there seems to be compression on the distorted guitars which makes sense. Less volume and gain = more dynamics. I really dig it.

Neil
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a dual recto, and my experience tells me the opposite. I like its sounds just when the final amp starts to crunch. What I hear is that, the more I push it the more it enfasize the mid range especially when "modern" is selected.

However I quite agree about the gain thing, too much of it makes the distortion muddy.

Do you use compression on heavy distored guitars ? Actually I find it quite useless unless you like that pumping effect on palm muted chords
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've gotten some good tones with amps at lower volume. I remember Joe Perry saying he did the same. The louder you turn the amp up, the more compressed it gets.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search