The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie D8B - help!!! Mixers (Digital)
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Mackie D8B - help!!!

Alright. I have the ever so classic D8B. I was thinking of actually paying mackie the $299 and upgrading the software to v5.1 so that i can use it as a controller for protools. Any advice? Other ways to go about it? Suggestions, possible reasons not to upgrade? I appreciate all your input. Thanks

P
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure 5.1 can put it in Hui mode....

There are so many people using them that you can't get into trouble...

go for it...+ it opens it up for surround mixing.
Old 30th August 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

5.1 has issues, but yes it works. It has some silly quirks.

Go to the Mackie forums.

Glad yours still works without having to be rebuilt monthly. I wasn't so lucky.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hate to be the downer in this group but the 5.1 upgrade is a HUI dog. Operationally it works fine and is actually a great upgrade for the console. Plus it is good to have it fully updated for the resale value down the road. BUT, the Mackie digital 8bus does not have touch sensitive faders. It makes automating on the console a real pain in the ass. Plus the faders don't track as well as other controllers that I have used with Pro-Tools. I ended up punting and buying a Command 8 to automate in PT with and the difference was so night and day it was scary. I then about 2 months later bought a Control 24 and took the Mackie out of service and it is still sitting in storage. (Anyone want to buy it? I will make you a great deal!) Also even though you have 24 faders on the Mackie only 8 will work in HUI mode so you end up with a 8 fader HUI anyway.

I had to spend the money for the upgrade, plus I had to upgrade the memory in the computer and replace a couple of other things. I did the upgrade about 3 1/2 years ago and I think I spend over $700.00 to upgrade everything so that I could use the HUI mode with PT's and it was a total waste of time and money.

Take the money and buy a Command 8.

Michael Greene
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

wow

Mr. Greene. Very good advice. Obviously the Mackie has a lot of good features on it that the command 8 doesn't, but you are right. for the money it may not be worth it. especially since you said, "the Mackie digital 8bus does not have touch sensitive faders. It makes automating on the console a real pain in the ass. Plus the faders don't track as well as other controllers that I have used with Pro-Tools". Does anyone know how i can try the new software instead of paying the money to see that i don't like it? Thanks again everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

P
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianstyle View Post
Mr. Greene. Very good advice. Obviously the Mackie has a lot of good features on it that the command 8 doesn't, but you are right. for the money it may not be worth it. especially since you said, "the Mackie digital 8bus does not have touch sensitive faders. It makes automating on the console a real pain in the ass. Plus the faders don't track as well as other controllers that I have used with Pro-Tools". Does anyone know how i can try the new software instead of paying the money to see that i don't like it? Thanks again everyone for your help. I appreciate it.

P
If you use the Mackie for things like monitoring and routing along with the mic pre's then I understand your dilemma. If your just looking to automate and use it for a monitor controller then you can do much better. It is nice for headphone mixes and things but sadly (Since I have one in storage that isn't worth anything) the days of needing one are pretty much past.

You can do much better with a Command 8 and something like a Central Station or a nice high end monitor controller.

I don't think there is a way to try it or demo it. At least there wasn't when I bought it. Just be glad they dropped the price of the upgrade. I payed something like $499, or $599 for it 3 1/2 years ago. After I found out how poorly it worked I pretty much promised myself that I would never get screwed by Mackie again.

Michael Greene
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search