The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamps for drums ? mixed feelings ! Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Preamps for drums ? mixed feelings !

Ive been doing some personal kick and snare shootouts with the 3124 and the Trident s20. First of all i have not tried using both together as in 3124 kick in and s20 kick out etc, but just from the raw sounds that i recorded the s20 was more smooth and full than the Api, both preamps are great but the s20 may just have an edge over the love it to death Api's. The kick on the s20 was the best, the snare was real close but more harsh than the s20.
Have anyone else tried the same personal shootout ? Im doing this on small and large monitors.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I really like API on overheads and toms and sometimes kick. I almost always reach for neve for the kick and snare first though. Use what sounds good to you. API will not let you down at all, but if something else makes you happy, then so be it.

neil
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

i love api's on drums..but.....honestly..i have a few channels of s20's...and i do like them better on kick and toms than the api3214..

daking still beats everything for me...but the s20 is damn close...i know there is no love for mr oram on this board..but whatever...the s20 works for me !
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringe View Post
I really like API on overheads and toms and sometimes kick. I almost always reach for neve for the kick and snare first though. Use what sounds good to you. API will not let you down at all, but if something else makes you happy, then so be it.

neil
What he said.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I dont know. I think API sounds great on everything. I think you guys are pulling hairs.

I don't understand why there are some people who don't like api on kick or snare. Maybe try some different eq's and comps on mixdown
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

If someone cannot get a good drum sound with Api pres and eqs, its probably the drums, drummer, room, mics, engineer...But not the pres.

I have a six lunchbox of 512's, a six lunchbox of 550a's, and a 10 rack of 312's.

add a good drummer and drumset,.....early end time....Go home and see my Lady!!

Lets hear it for Api!! Relationship saver!!!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

I did not find the API to be as PHATT as the s20 on kick, i tried using more eq and then backing off, same issue, the s20 had a litle more meat. btw this is not a API cut down thread, i was just doing some personal shootouts, again both pres were great.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The API's are great on drums as is the BAE 1073's but I prefer Helios Type69's for drums every time.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

What channel strip are the s20s from ? Is that a Trident 80 ? I have the Trident 24 and have been thinking of getting a API 3124+ to augment those channel strips. I wouldn't want to spend 2k to get somewhat equivalent sound. Never heard a API or API 3124 in person to comment.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Audio View Post
The API's are great on drums as is the BAE 1073's but I prefer Helios Type69's for drums every time.
MMMMMmmmmm me too

Anything you record that's also capturing the acoustical event in the room just shines with those pre's.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree that if you can't get a good sound with API drums that you have something wrong, but I still believe there are better choices many times. I still love them for toms and overheads almost exclusively.

Neil
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firby View Post
What channel strip are the s20s from ? Is that a Trident 80 ? I have the Trident 24 and have been thinking of getting a API 3124+ to augment those channel strips. I wouldn't want to spend 2k to get somewhat equivalent sound. Never heard a API or API 3124 in person to comment.
s20 is from the Trident 80, api and trident ? hmmm , i am still doing test, they both have their place depending on what you are recording and what mic you are using. I feel like the 3124 can give a bit to much iron (at times) in the snare unlike the s20 that has versatile harmonics and smooth, i like the s20 a little more, the kick to me does not extend on the lower spectrum using api vs the s20, yes you will get more mid and high spectrum out of the 3124 but the s20 has a little more warmth/thickness, again im doing most shootouts on bookshelf speakers. I would use either preamp any day of the week but prefer s20 over api on kick and snare, its just more versatile.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I own an S20 and it sounds really good. An engineer buddy of mine was doing a drum session. For kick was using the CL 7602-1176-API 560-Rosetta 200. He had a great kick sound. When I got my S20 I took it to the studio and we switched the pre and we both agreed that the S20 sounded much fatter! I also have recorded electric, acoustic, and vox with great success. I think for $600 it is a real steal!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Only thing I REALLY like S20 on alot is Toms. I dont feel like they really have a sound to them.
3124 is really great if you get some in line pads on the outputs.
Im not sure what kind of music you are doing but I know the S20 may sound better raw but especially ok kick and toms I really feel like later down the line in the mix you will be glad you used the API, where the S20 will definitely need more EQ/Compression.

On snare, its a different story, I havent ever gotten an amazing snare sound in the rock realm or anything rockin at all realm without at least a little eq and or compression. Either works great, depending on the sound. The S40 i really feel works better for snare because of the output controll and great eq section.

Try the inline pads. You wont be sorry.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb View Post
I own an S20 and it sounds really good. An engineer buddy of mine was doing a drum session. For kick was using the CL 7602-1176-API 560-Rosetta 200. He had a great kick sound. When I got my S20 I took it to the studio and we switched the pre and we both agreed that the S20 sounded much fatter! I also have recorded electric, acoustic, and vox with great success. I think for $600 it is a real steal!
It is so under rated, a great 600.00 investment, the s20 are warmer and add more phatt to a kick, snare they are very versatle as well. Again the 3124 is great but the s20 has some edge over it... you are correct. If you want a great A/B test just try using some bookshelf speakers and the s20 will shine over the 3124.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search