The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What type of reverb on the Big Four? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 30th August 2007
What type of reverb on the Big Four?

So, I'd really be interested if most of us are doing similar things similar things to the big four (drums, guitars, vocals, snare) as far as reverb goes.

Hall, Plate, or Room on:
1. Vocals?
2. Guitars?
3. Snare?
4. Whole or rest of kit?
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

depends always on the style of music.
but generaly i use:
vocals: delays (tap-delays), a bright plate or both at the same time.
Acoustic guitars: the room that i recorded with an extra mic, a plate with 120ms predelay
electric guitar: delay or Hall
Snare: a Room or plate
rest of the kit (drums): nothing

I do like plates and hate rooms (except for film voice overs)!
And less is more. i use normaly max. 2 or 3 different reverbs in a mix. but i use a lot of delays.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

1) PCM70
2) PCM70
3) PCM70
4) PCM70

I close my eyes, hit some buttons and whatever comes up works. That's why love the PCM70. You guys spend way too much time worrying about the details. Not a whole lot different than working with a U47. Just put it somewhere, and it sounds good.
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

PCM 70 is the only gear in my studio that i never use.
i like more the tc system 6000 when i have to do something fast, couse the presets are kind of good, its actualy my favorite for tracking.
the 480L and 960L are amazing but there i always have to tweak the presets to get that what i want.
i also use often the PCM 42, tc 2290 and tc m5000
for rooms i use the Quantec QRS and for Guitars i like the Eventide
but never the PCM70.

Spend to much time for the details? Details are the difference between pro and nonpros. Recording and mixing music is just about details. details is what turns out of tracked instruments into music. for example when the locut of a reverb is set to 100Hz the mix sounds muddy, but when you cut at 300Hz it sound open. when you set a predelay f.ex. on horns to 50 ms they sound muddy, indirect and lost in the mix, but when you turn it on 80ms the horns stay right in your face without jumping out of the mix.

and a U47 you put 3 times on something and it sounds good, but 4 time it starts to hiss and to crackle.
I agree the U47 sounds great but you spend more time with maintenance like with recording.

details, our job is just about details.
Old 30th August 2007
Thanks! I loved the PCM 70 comments, BTW!
Old 31st August 2007
Anyone else care to share their opinions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search