The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
diagnose this one...
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

diagnose this one...

This power amp is not working. It's from Ibanez "soundwave 65" bass combo amp. It's a nice little amp but was only $80 so I'm really trying to avoid paying someone to fix it. Here is what happened:

Turned it on, power light came on, plugged in guitar...no sound at all. No smell or smoke, just silence. When I opened it up I noticed the fuses were blown. Here is where it gets a little fuzzy: The circuit board denotes that the fuses should be F3 and F4 at 250V. The fuses that were in it are BOTH F4 (could this have possibly played a roll in the problem?). I bought 2 F4 fuses @ 125V to replace it (I was informed that all I need is 125V since I'm only connecting to American wall outlets). SO: based on the pictures and that information, does anyone have ANY idea why it's still not working? Thanks!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Did the new fuses you installed blow? Something most likely caused them to in the first place. Power supply caps/diodes or a short somewhere would be a likely cause for them to blow. If they did not blow, but it is still not working, you probably fried something before the fuses blew the first time, therefore there is no current even running through the new fuses you have installed. Do you have access to a DVOM? If not, it might not really be worth fussing with too much.

Neil
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Yes, they did blow! I just took another look. So what could that mean?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

well you've obviously been beating on it... look at the heat scaring near the outputs... i would think about desoldering them and see if it powers up then... after that look to the power supply...diode stack/filtercaps/regulators... in that order...
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

You mean near the heat sink? I think that might just be bad amp design, because no matter how loud you run this thing, it's always extreeemely hot. Anyway I just noticed the circuitboard has F2 and F3 listed, and I had F4s installed...could that have contributed to them blowing right away again?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search