The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite mic pre amps for recording guitars under $2kUS Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Favorite mic pre amps for recording guitars under $2kUS

Hey there,

I am a muscian and am collecting enough gear so i can record my bands bass, & guitar tracks for our debut album next year.

Think owning the cool ****, renting a house on the ocean and tracking bass & guitars in our time will be a great experience, an awesome vibe and can make a record in our time... and not someone elses... and save our wallets..

I have 1 mic pre.. a UNIVERSAL AUDIO 6176 and want to buy one more so i can double mike one amp, or run 2 amps simultaneously with a mike on each..

I want a mic pre that will just sizzles for recording guitars..

Want something that can capture big tone..

will be using a SM7, 421 AND sm57 as mics..

If anyone could make any suggestions that would be really appreciated.

cheers
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Groove Tubes Vipre is my favourite by miles.
Awesome guitar preamp.

If it is being used for something else I'll go for an API 512c, which isn't excactly shabby either.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not an ME. Just a composer with some studio gear, but --

I use an A-Designs Pacifica in conjunction with a 6176. I think they complement each other nicely.

The Pacifica is two channel. Costs approx. $2000 new.

I mostly use it to mic acoustic and electric guitars, and to line-in stereo synths. I think it sounds great on those applications.

A-Designs Audio Pacifica link
Old 30th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Pacifica. It tends to provide a very nice defined sound on anything you record, and excels at el gtr work.

War
Old 30th August 2007
Tape Op

RTZ 9762 is a real solid-state gem with a decent price. Great River MP2-NV is also perfect. Pacifica is good, brings out highs in a diff way. I prefer solid-state preamps on electric guitar amps. I also like ribbon mics and LD condensors too.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

API.

API.

and then there is also API.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

---I'm in a smartass mood, please don't read too much into what I'm gonna say--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampegfreak
Favorite mic pre amps for recording guitars under $2kUS
This question asks what preamp is the favorite for guitars that cost less than $2k. I asume you mean what preamp that cost less than $2k is a favorite for recording guitars.

An answer for that question is the Great River MP2h, which is the older one they don't make anymore. I hate SM57, but with this pre I like them on guitar. Ing eneral its a great pre and it really shines on guitars for some reason.

I've seen them and the Mp4h (4 channel) used every once in a while for really good prices.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

This question asks what preamp is the favorite for guitars that cost less than $2k. I asume you mean what preamp that cost less than $2k is a favorite for recording guitars.

1) Api or similar.

2) Neve or similar.

Fine, fine, once you have those, if you really need to, you can get something uncolored like a sytek or millenia, and something that drips delicious goo like a Tube Tech, UA610 or Telefunken.

Bam. You're done.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Fine, fine, once you have those, if you really need to, you can get something uncolored like a sytek or millenia, and something that drips delicious goo like a Tube Tech, UA610 or Telefunken.
He already has the 610. In his 6176.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

cheers

yeh i got a 6176.. never owned anything else but i think it rules...

Cruising ebay and came by a Chandler Germanium mic pre...
what is the vibe on this pre for tracking guitars with?

Chandler Germanium Mic Pre w/ power supply preamp - (eBay item 180153618001 end time Sep-03-07 18:49:31 PDT)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
But, it shouldn't be anyone's first nice pre if they want flexibility though. Just trying to share some knowledge. Thanks for being a downer, dude.

I can see that. My True Systems was much more versatile but the sources the 610 did better on, did MUCH better on. The True was ok on electric guitars and bass di, the 610 is fanfreakintastic on electric guitars and bass di, hell, bass cabs too. However I don't really dig it on drums at all, and it's hit or miss on vocals.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

haha..

It just got what Phil Mckellar (One of australia's finest rock producers) recommended i get. Why waist money on half assed **** when i can get somthing half decent.

rules?

no need for em.

Quote:
Yeah, I read that.

But, in case you didn't notice, I'm giving advice to the world baby, the world.

Additionally, only novices who are moved by marketing buy the 610 as their first nice pre. I should know, I bought a 2-610 when it first came out around March 2001.

It's absolutely great.... But, it shouldn't be anyone's first nice pre if they want flexibility though. Just trying to share some knowledge. Thanks for being a downer, dude.

Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The 610 in any variation 2-610, solo 610 blah, blah would be a bad idea.

why?

Because they have NO headroom, using an SM57 on a moderatly gained guitar makes the input of the 610 distort.

End of question.

If youre dying for the sound of that spesific pre, use an inline pad before the pre.

If not.

Any kind of API, Neve or simmilar would make you happy. If a flie farts in the vicinity of the 17. fret on the 2. string it'll make a bigger difference than WHICH great pre you use to record guitar.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjimjim View Post
The 610 in any variation 2-610, solo 610 blah, blah would be a bad idea.

why?

Because they have NO headroom, using an SM57 on a moderatly gained guitar makes the input of the 610 distort.

Well I work with one every single day and record **** loads of electric guitars with no problems at all. I'd really have to question whether you even know what you're talking about here, I mean I hate putting it that way but it just isn't true. At least in my personal experience it isn't and I record guitars really f'ing loud.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I read that.

But, in case you didn't notice, I'm giving advice to the world baby, the world.

Additionally, only novices who are moved by marketing buy the 610 as their first nice pre. I should know, I bought a 2-610 when it first came out around March 2001.

It's absolutely great.... But, it shouldn't be anyone's first nice pre if they want flexibility though. Just trying to share some knowledge. Thanks for being a downer, dude.

Um. I just thought you missed it in his post. People accidentally read passed stuff all the time.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Guitars= Germanium or Great River (both excellent, different vibe though)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
No worries Chris. I was just messing with you.

Didn't you notice the winking, pipe smoking smiley face?
I did, but I find the emoticons on GS odd to interpret.

Anyway, all good.

And yeah, Neve or API are great to grab, for sure.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Personal fave is the A Designs Pacifica. Great River and API would also be fantastic choices.
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

When you want to have a big tone, i would first change the mic! Cause when youre mic dont captures the the big tone, even the best preamp cant amplify it.
In your case i would buy a AEA Ribbon Pre and a Ribbon mic (2000$). Anyway even you dont use a ribbon mic and you dont need Phantom power the AEA TRP is the best pre that you can get in that price range. It has no special features, no special sound its a nice, accurate, simple and best sounding preamp that i know.

And for all that money that you musicians spent for gear, to get an acceptable demo, you could buy a lot of studio hours, with the best gear in the world, and even more important, with the best sounding rooms!

Thats just my opinion.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Pacifica.

GM
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post

An answer for that question is the Great River MP2h, which is the older one they don't make anymore. I hate SM57, but with this pre I like them on guitar. In general its a great pre and it really shines on guitars for some reason.

I've seen them and the Mp4h (4 channel) used every once in a while for really good prices.
Quote:
Dude you should talk? Your reply has more typos and grammatical errors than the original post!

HAHAHA! Smart ass mode has no time to proofread!

Again I'm keeping it light

Note to self--stop posting late at night without spell-check!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

MCI 600?

ANYONE USED AN MCI 600 PRE ON GUITARS?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search