The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 24IO? Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

MOTU 24IO?

Anyone using this unit?

Any thoughts on it, good or bad?

Does it work well on a PC with SONAR?

Thanks, ROD
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have one...works very well if your commited ITB. I love having everything always hooked up and ready to go. The inputs are okay...nothing great...better than entry level stuff but not top notch. I use it with a 2408 mkIII which was modded via Black Lion...got the clock and convertors done...the difference was pretty big...not sure I here much...but it was eye opening good. Best I can tell, the mod made it on par with RME stuff...still a step below apogee stuff...so I'd say the sound of the 24 i/o is a step below RME quality gear. Using cuemix for everything is great. I'd recommend it of you set-up could benefit from it...but I'd also probably not buy another if I had to do it over again.
Old 15th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
Anyone using this unit?

Any thoughts on it, good or bad?

Does it work well on a PC with SONAR?

Thanks, ROD

I have a system with dual 24IO and SONAR 6 Studio. I use the ASIO drivers, instead of the WDM drivers. However, the two 24IO units do not maintain sample-accurate timing between them! - I have direct measurements of this using an Agilent digital scope. What's worse, the timing offset between the two units changes between system restarts - boot the PC one time and you measure one value of time offset between the units. Boot it again and you get something different.

I have called into Tech Support and am waiting MOTU's response. IMO, there is an initialization issue with the PCI 424 card and Windows. I don't believe that SONAR is implicated in this problem.

If you are sticking to a single MOTU interface, no problems. If you are working multiple MOTU 24IO interfaces I wouldn't go there right now - they don't synchronize.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies. I am looking to use just 1 unit so the sync deal would not be a problem for me although, for your sake, I hope they get it sorted out.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 15th September 2007

using SONAR, i had consistent synch problems between my 24 i/o
and any midi interfaces i used - iow, between audio and midi playback timing -
it made NO DIFFERENCE WHICH drivers i used.

(i was not able to work at all. FWIW, my sequences are very dense
with tons of midi data, and tons of audio data).

plus, IME, motu's tech support was VERY unhelpful at the time - summer 2006
(maybe just my bad luck).

i don't believe motu takes pc users very seriously.

a producer friend of mine has ALSO been having difficulty synching his 828s for years,
tracking 16 inputs in Performer on his G5. flaky, inconsistent, etc.

so end result, after MONTHS of frustration and sys reconfigs, i re-sold my 24i/o on ebay.

maybe with your system, and some luck, you'll have a better experience.

i seriously hope you have better luck with their tech support.

best

Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Nut

I may be interested in starting completely new from my zed r 16 and purchasing a mackie 24x8 and the motu 24io. Does anyone have a recommendation for this setup or other?
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

I'm using my 24io with my Toft ATB. And i love it.. Very stable and the Cuemix is awsome, monitoring with zero latency while recording:-)

Old 24th August 2009
Gear Nut

I'd kill for the toft atb16 haha I'm kind of torn on what to do now, it's all swarming in my head right now with apogee 800's, RME hammerfall's, maudio delta's and any other interface out there. At least with the zed I didn't really have to worry about converters but I really need to get a mixer setup again, after having it I can't go without it again.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Guru

I had a few years back, convertors are harsh as hell, returned it for refund.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

I'm hearing good things about the Echo Audio Audiofire 12.
People seem to be able to run 2 of them without problems and I'm hearing really good things about the sound of them.
Personally I could get by with 1 of them. 12 I/O is 4 better than 8 I/O, eh?
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Nut

I used them for a while and hated them in the end, glad to have sold them.I felt they were narrow sounding and harsh, very "digital" sounding IMO.
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Nut

I'm trying to lean away from firewire based converters and more towards pci E, but from what I've generally been hearing is that motu converters are pretty much useless
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Nut

A stock Digi 003 was a divine blessing for me after my old 24io, and the digis are hardly the best converters out there, that's all I can say
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Nut

OK so i have my heart set on the mackie 24x8 or 32x8, and use the direct outs and tape returns as an in-line console (which is the way I'm originally trained but with an alesis adat). How would I go about recording the 2 track mixdown in cubase; with let's say two audiofire12's?
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
I'm using my 24io with my Toft ATB. And i love it.. Very stable and the Cuemix is awsome, monitoring with zero latency while recording:-)

I have 32 ch toft with 2408 mk3 and 24 i/o.All works very well but eventually I will mod my 24i/0 and 2408mk3 with a bl mod and add the clock!

Dan P
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Since years I am working with a Cubase/MOTU system on a PC and never ever had any driver issue. It´s running smooth as butter with my PCI 424 card and in earlier time also with my PCI324. Today a HD192, a 1296 and a 308 are attached to the PCI 424 card.
I am really wondering what you are talking about
Old 24th August 2009
Gear Addict

We use 2 with a Mac and have never had any problems with the drivers.

Haven't heard great things about using with PCs though but have had no experience so can't really comment.
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Nut

That's the problem, I'll be using a PC and from what I've seen motu isn't too keen on pc users.
Old 25th August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I had a few years back, convertors are harsh as hell, returned it for refund.
with you half way.
yes they are not that great. Can't clock them with a big ben to start with. Can't clock them in serie either.
For someone working OTB, they are not recommended as you will lose at every pass you will make but then, if you are working ITB why would you need a 24IO. They are colored but not like Appogee or RME, more like a curtain.
Had mine for 2 years before I went to soundscape and I did some good recording with it but it always with a lot of strategy on what I would leave to the mastering.

I have sold my 424 card but still have the converters and can't seem to get rid of it...

Oli
Old 20th September 2009
Lives for gear

I've got a MOTU 24io. Works perfect, no problems, sounds good for $1400, much better than an 003 IMHO. I agree with whoever said it's a step below RME, though. Just look at the price, it's not that difficult to assume that.
Old 24th September 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p View Post
I have 32 ch toft with 2408 mk3 and 24 i/o.All works very well but eventually I will mod my 24i/0 and 2408mk3 with a bl mod and add the clock!

Dan P

That sounds like cool affordable setup.
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

24 i/o great now.

I had issues with mine, but I'm glad I stuck with it -
It's now BLA modded, and with their micro clock it sounds great.
World of difference.
I've used newer Apogees and it's not quite as happening, but not by much.

I had big issues till I got the PCIe card for my Mac Pro - now it's rock solid.

Cuemix is killer, and I really feel like I have an excellent system now.
All the inputs and outputs are routed to my tt bay and I can record a live band easily.
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid View Post
I've used newer Apogees and it's not quite as happening, but not by much.
What are you basing this statement on if you've never used them?
Old 24th September 2009
Gear Addict

I meant the BLA modded 24 i/o is only slightly less happening than the Apogee Rosetta 200 I used to own. I also have a Duet, and it sounds different, but not better. The combination of a much better analog section and the BLA clock really makes a difference in the MOTU.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search