The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting a tad frustrated...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm just going to chime in to say "I feel ya, Dawg". I have some songs I feel are pretty well done, and some that are screwing the pooch big time, and sometimes I feel like I have no idea what separates the two.

This business is so subjective. One man's muddy is another man's warm. One man's crisp is another's shrill. I show mixes to people and I get 300 differing opinions and suggestions. It's hard to wade through the self doubt and possibilities - there is no greater truism IMHO than " a mix is never finished, only abandoned".

At this point, I feel (as I imagine you and others of our ilk do) as if every mix is like going to the optometrist - "which is better, one or two? Which is better one....or two?".

The only advice I can give is that of my own mentor - "What the f#ck is that doing there? Is it advancing the song in any way? Is it part of the emotional truth or whatever the hell you want from the song? No? THEN WHY THE F&%K IS IT THERE???"

hehhehheh

I hear that when I sleep.

OK, now I'm going to go take the advice in this thread myself, and go rock some more mutes with parts I've been to precious about!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey View Post
" a mix is never finished, only abandoned".

i love it
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Starting from scratch with fresh ears usually works

or ABANDON IT! :p and let them know they need to listen to their rehearsals / live gigs closer. Song first ego last.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

it's as finished as im willing to make it at this point.

abandoned.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

FWIW, I had some mixes I was doing a few months back that had really dense arrangements with a lot of crazy synth stuff going on. Mixes were getting really muddy. The artist was really cool about stripping it down a little and dropping a few parts from each song. That was a good start, but things were still a bit dense. Had to do a bit of panning to give things space. More importantly, had to do a lot of EQ cuts in the mids on these synths to help them not trample over everything else in the mix. That helped the most.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orksnork View Post
ahhh finally got him

"do the mix you wanna do, if you don't like something that's there, bury it"

all the right things were said...

now my friends...

i work.
I don't know about other people's opinions on this matter but I hate burying things in the mix. I hate the idea of it doesn't sound so good or it doesn't belong so keep it real low so you don't really notice it. To me that sounds like you might as well record yourself taking a crap in the bathroom and put it in the mix but keep it real low so nobody notices it but its there. Now I think there are exceptions like maybe an acoustic guitar where you just want that string strumming sound almost like an effect but you don't want to turn it into an acoustic guitar based song or a keyboard pad that just sets a sort of backdrop for everything. But I would personally much sooner completely get rid of a track or part of a track if it just doesn't sound good or belong than bury it cuz to me thats just muddying up the waters again.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

don't know about y'all but ime burying something so that its way out of the way but still adds to the song, so that it's clear and well defined but very distant and/or discreet, is probably harder than anything other task in mixing.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by orksnork View Post
Musiclab: thanks for the invite. I've gotta wrap this up before too long and head upstate...so i don't really have time for that today....

but could I take you up on that the next mix I'm doing? (probably something that I'm not profiting off for myself, and I'll be happier with the playing and arranging)

blackfish: errrrrrm

Jonboy: I could send around some links to an mp3 in private messages for anyone who would want to listen...but I'm not quite ready to have what little confidence I have in my meager skills destroyed yet...I'll send you a PM.

I'm definitely having a problem getting the vocals to sit right. The singer has a weird, coheed and cambria kind of voice...
sure
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

you the man...

as far as burying stuff...i cut a bunch of literal junk out...didn't just turn it down

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search