The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please Rate My recording. Condenser Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Please Rate My recording.

I've been holding out doing this because:

a) Its kinda not the purpose of this site

b) Its my first proper production so my ego is very delicate on this one :P

To emphasise... its my first one!!!

Still getting used to my gear / recording.miking techniques / EQ / compression / Mixing /yadda yadda. Tough but fun learning process.

Gear used
---------

Preamp/Converter/DAW = Millennia Media STT1 - MOTU 828 MKII - Cubase sx3

Vocals: Rode k2
Acoustic Gtr: Takamine POS - Josephson C42
Elec gtr: PRS custom 24 - PodXT (many layers and tube plugs added)
Bass: Wawick FNA jazzman - PodXT
Drums: Grooveagent2

Sound treatment by the good guys at RealTraps.

No space for drums in my tiny lil room and budget. Do not have decent enough amp for gtrs.
Not me singing.. nor did I write the lyrics. I did everything else though.
Thats enough excuses...

Production comments pls. Lyrics aren't my favourite but hey... Fella was happy.
Please constructive criticism. I value your ears.
Attached Files

PinkPillMix8a.mp3 (5.15 MB, 985 views)

Old 29th August 2007
Well funny enough but this IS the purpose of this site just not the purpose of the So Much Gear forum.

heh

You should try the Mp3 upload - Work in progress / advice requested / Show & Tell / Artist showcase forum.

That said, as your first production this is really great work. Good job man!

People are going to come in hammering you because they can do it better (and some probably can) but the point is, does the mix compliment the song and make me want to listen. Your mix does that, great song and good work on the production, I like it.

Are there things I would change? Maybe but THAT is exactly the point of mixing, it's an art. The colors you use are what makes your mix different from mine.

Who cares what anyone else thinks, how do YOU feel about it. You wouldn't have posted it if you didn’t think it was pretty good so that is two points in it's favor.

Rock on.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

first thought is i might leave that reverb off the kick in the beginning until things kick in or not at all. the kick sounds very unnatural in the intro and is there a phase on it? sounds a little clicky. the bass has lots of presence and i think actually sounds pretty good. it sounds direct and i like amped bass sounds or a combination. was it direct only? not bad pal. i'm just an amateur- let's see what the pro's say. i am not going to get into the merits of the composition. MySpace.com - Snuzz - Winston Salem, North Carolina - Alternative - www.myspace.com/snuzz
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

good job

pan some sounds around to find a better position and keep adjusting some volume levels and your off to a awsome start. peace
MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Listening on bad PC speakers at work:

-Vox seem loud enough, but a bit trebly
-Flanger is cool on drums in the beginning, but they took me by surprise a bit. I immediately had to ask what was happening, meaning I didn't "get it" right away. I would say make it more obvious by filtering the drums (band pass+distortion, or lo-fi maybe) to make a more obvious contrast between intro and verse.
-Bass guitar is maybe too up-front. As stated, I am listening on crappy speakers lacking lows, but the bass still seemed to present.
-Kick is also a bit too present, at least in the intro and verses. The choruses fill up more (as they should) so it may be just right, but that may also be the speakers I have.
-Driving guitars in choruses seem a bit weak. The chorus needs to punch a bit harder and according to your arrangement that is the job of the heavy guitars, and they are almost there, just make them count more. Maybe take a bit of the edge off or boost the mids to round them out a bit more.

The arrangement and mix in general are appropriate for the style. The tones of the instruments work pretty well in context and are interesting on their own, with minor exceptions being guit. and vox as mentioned, but that could also just me my opinion, and even so are only a teensy bit off to my ear. I agree with the comment that the mix and arrangement serve the song very well and drew me in to keep listening.

Nice tune, clean tracking, good performance, good balance. Well done!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Not bad. I like that staccato clean guitar mixed in there.
good vocals. Good pitch. Nice solo before the second verse
snare is way too compressed sounding. sampled? I don't like
the distorted gtr sound. Kinda thin. Bass is ok.
Acoustic sound isn't bad, could be better.

I do like the electric guitar riff. overall good job
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hey, great job! I mean that! I've been doing this for a while and it sounded great to me. I was listening on laptop speakers, but the only thing I could think of was maybe it was a little thin sounding. (Mainly vocals???) I hear what the other guy was talking about the snare sounding compressed, but I really liked it. Vocals may have been a bit too loud, but the main thing is it was CLEAR, had GOOD RELATIVE LEVELS, and WASN'T OVERLY COMPRESSED in an attempt at mastering.

My advice in general: the one thing I have learned is to start with a good sound going to tape during tracking and you don't have to do much to it in the mix. "Over mixing" is a bad habit that MANY MANY younger engineers suffer from, and used to leave my mixes sounding VERY VERY thin. I would suck out every resonant frequency in existence in an effort to make it clear, and the music would lose all its body. Just something to keep in mind, but remember I was listening on laptop speakers. Very good job at getting a clear, well balanced recording. (and those are some of the most important things!) <he and I are cheering for you...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

For a 1st job, very well done. Now for my 2cents:

Work on the panning

use HPF on vox and acoustic guitars, work with track eq's, some tracks are fighting with each other in the mid/lows. Add some shimmer to the female vox.

I would kill the verb on the drums and add some to the acoustic guitars, not heavy though.

The kick is muddy, try cutting at 120hz and boosting at 60hz.

Overall, good job, you should feel good about the results!!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Nice job. Too bad the song and vocalists are questionable.

I agree with some of the other guys, kill the verb. reverb went out with the DeLoren.
The vocalists are mediocre, compress and tuck them in a bit, no sense featuring them, sit them in with the band more. Autotune might help (don't tell the singer though).

Nice job, keep up the good work.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like the mix, it and the song (minus the lyrics) are interesting to listen to and that is what matters IMHO. The plucky electric that comes in at about :50 is a bit loud. Kick is a bit too punchy for the style I think. These are minor issues, overall ...real nice job!

I give it an 80 ...you pick the scale
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Great thanks for all the constructive feedback. Much appreciated!

My primary instrument is electric guitar.. I'm pretty embarrased by the tone I got.. and that was after about 6 tracks of ingredient mixing.
Def need to improve that part of my chain.. Good amp is next for sure.
The I get to learn about miking up amplifiers. Ace.

All vocals were in fact placed through subtle amounts of melodyne... lead vocalist has an slightly less than ok sense of pitch but his timing was out always.
He also has a slight lisp which I attempted to De-Esss but it always killed the presence no matter how subtle I added it. (De-esser plugs, multiband compression)

Chorus vocals left were my GF.. right were me. Down an octave where I belong.. boomy boomy.

All drums were steinberg groove agent2. Might ease off the compression for the snare.. or at least hear it again.

RE: the kick mega verb and hats flanger. Used as an intro effect.. were cut by the time the bass entered... maybe could kill it a bit.

RE: the acoustic gtr verb.. I had a fair bit on it before.. But as my biggest goal when tracking it was to get as little of my 7foot x 7foot room sound in.. I felt kinda funny putting verb back on.

RE: Instrument freq fighting / panning. Will do. Not this one though.. Have to consider this song deadline done.

Bass was up high cause its my fav bit :P In fact was the first part of the song and I based everything else off it.

In fact compression.. the first 7 mixes were heavily compressed. My ears started properly hearing compression in others work / tv / etc... went back to my mix and almost spewed so had to cut a lot of it.

I mixed all of this on sennheiser HD650's , my computer speakers and my ipod. Next up is some nice monitors!

Positives and ALL negatives noted.. thanks for the tips. Cant wait for the next project to start to apply all of your advice.
You rock!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search