The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
medium priced compressor to complement my more expensive ones that are on my mix bus? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

medium priced compressor to complement my more expensive ones that are on my mix bus?

I switch between my thermionic, my 5043 and my api2500 as my main mix bus compressor.

Looking for something medium priced that brings some sort of "flavour" when used on the mix bus for that final touch.. Doesnt have to be something "clean sounding".. Can be a bit dirty.. Aslong as it has some sort of special personality to bring to the final sound of the mix..

I heard some drawmers are nice.. Thought I would check with you guys on some suggestions on medium priced compressors that can be used on the main mix bus..

anyone?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1968 ME possibly?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

This may be out of your target price range....but how about the FMR Audio RNLA? It's got a ton of color for such a cheap box and doesn't entirely suck on 2-bus. Or the ART ProVLA can be cool depending on what tubes you stick in there.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
This may be out of your target price range....but how about the FMR Audio RNLA? It's got a ton of color for such a cheap box and doesn't entirely suck on 2-bus. Or the ART ProVLA can be cool depending on what tubes you stick in there.

Brad
I thought about the FMR RNLA and the other compressor they have.. Not sure why I have not bought them yet.. Feels "too cheap" maybe. I know alot seem to like them though. Not sure they would bring that special "flavour" that Im looking for - to my collection..

Was pretty much looking for something above that in terms of price.. But yeah, I have them on my "maybe to buy" list.. ;-)
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

You've got three great boxes there,three different sounds..

you want different/more flavor/whatever..maybe reexamine your approach the tracking/mix stage itself.
but if you have to have something..maybe an SSL /Alan Smart smacky kinda thing or..what I use for the more colorful/dirty approach is some Neve 2254's or the chandler TG series comps[Zener/TG-1].
also, the Phoenix can sound cool when you overdrive the inputs..but you probably already know this
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

2254 or its modern second cousin, the fatso.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Drawmer 1968 ME possibly?
+1 on the 1968
I keep using my 1960 more and more on the mix bus and I'm happy with what I get.
I 'm not sure but I think the 1968 is even better for this particular task.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Check Out the Vintech 33609CA.....its a cross between a 2254 and a 33609 ....beutiful sounding comp and great for tracking the mix buss or drum/guitar/vox buss very versital...not super ineaspensive kinda middle ground cost wise but sounds wouderful very smooth rich and alot of depth sonically.

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search