The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows XP running on mac?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Windows XP running on mac?

Anyone here have xp running on a mac running either cubase or protools? If so, how is it?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

I used a macbook pro with windows xp and cubase studio 4 just to test it. It worked ok for me. Had some heat issues in xp (not related to cubase), so i decided to go with osx for recording instead. Can´t really see why you would want to use xp for cubase or protools unless you have some windows only stuff that you have to use.

Best of luck.
M
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Mac will run windows great, but why would you want to?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
cause you can.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Years ago I asked a similar question and many people guffa'ed, scorned and laughed-all but Craig Anderton who said...'just a dawg gone minute here. Don't be so quick...' because I guess he knew that technologies were right around the corner that would change things on the Mac quite a bit.
Well, it has come right around to that. Who would have thought that Mac's would be using Intel chips and running a Linux based OS and, yes, be able to run XP.
http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html
Ha-ha. Last laugh right here.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Runs fine here. No heat or any other issues with XP on the MBP.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cause there's some real nice free vst's out there.
Old 29th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
I have PT running on XP on my Intel Mac (mostly to run Spectrasonics Trilogy and Atmosphere). In most aspects it runs pretty much like it does on the Mac side. I do notice from time to time some audible glitching in some of the audio, particularly with certain plugins. Usually deactivating and reactivating the plugins makes it go away, at least for a while. Anyway, it's usable enough for me to do my Trilogy/Atmosphere programming and then switch back to the Mac side.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dmusic View Post
Well, it has come right around to that. Who would have thought that Mac's would be using Intel chips and running a Linux based OS and, yes, be able to run XP.
Mac OSX is not Linux Based, Its based on NEXTSTEP and is far closer to BSD then Linux. Both Linux and OSX could happly be called Unix varients.

I run windoes on my macbook and it is rock solid, I use osx for general computing then boot into XP to do some work ( i use nuendo )

K
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry. I'm getting my Linux's & Unix's all mixed up.

One other thing to add - that old adage about working your way backwards from the software you'd like to use may hold true here as well. (although in a bit of a convoluted way)

Let's say you've got a Mac that you love, but, you'd lke to run Nuendo or Cubase. Well, in this case XP might make sense because Nuendo and Cubase are rock solid stable on XP. (Cubase VST32 was a disaster on my G3 although things probably have improved leaps and bounds by now ?)
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

OSX runs on an Intel based PC. XP runs on a Intel based PC
So what's your question?

I still don't get why people pay extra for 'MAC's' and 'OSX'
It's a waste of money. OSX is based on UNIX, XP is based on UNIX
and VMS.

XP doesn't crash anymore than OSX. They are two tools with
identical capabilites. Why would you pay more for one than the other then?

Clearly BEOS is a better OS for multimedia. Why did IZ pick it I wonder?

OSX is a joke. Jobs' cronies write a shell on top of (free of charge)Berkeley Unix and everyone yet
again thinks that chump invented the wheel. Just like his new gay iPhone
he suckered everyone yet again.

Jobs could package up dog **** call it 'i****' and youd all buy it and think it was innovative.
Im going to curcuit city now and punch tha mac salesman in the face

later
Old 30th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Well, gee, that was an informative post. Still unable to let go of the Mac vs. PC thing, huh? Still living in 2001 I see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
OSX runs on an Intel based PC. XP runs on a Intel based PC
So what's your question?

and VMS.

XP doesn't crash anymore than OSX. They are two tools with
identical capabilites. Why would you pay more for one than the other then?

OSX is a joke. Jobs' cronies write a shell on top of (free of charge)Berkeley Unix and everyone yet
again thinks that chump invented the wheel. Just like his new gay iPhone
he suckered everyone yet again.

Jobs could package up dog **** call it 'i****' and youd all buy it and think it was innovative.
Im going to curcuit city now and punch tha mac salesman in the face

later
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Well, gee, that was an informative post. Still unable to let go of the Mac vs. PC thing, huh? Still living in 2001 I see....
Actually if you read my post youd realize I was refering to folks like you who haven't let it go.

If you had to pick between two IDENTICAL hammers to bang in a nail. Why would you buy the more expensive one for the same job? I can't believe Apple is still in the pc market. Many suckers out there I guess.

I'm use beos in my studio and I use DeimOS at my job so I could care less if you use osx or xp. Your a mute point
Old 30th August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Actually if you read my post youd realize I was refering to folks like you who haven't let it go.
Actually, I have let it go, that's the whole point. Mac, PC, who the hell cares? They're both just tools. YOU are the one bashing one platform over another, therefore you're the one who seems unable to let it go.

Quote:
If you had to pick between two IDENTICAL hammers to bang in a nail. Why would you buy the more expensive one for the same job? I can't believe Apple is still in the pc market. Many suckers out there I guess.
Well, there you go again. I use Macs, I use PC's. Both get the job done, each has its own way of doing it. Did it ever occur to you that some people may choose one over the other because it appeals to the way they like to work?

Quote:
I'm use beos in my studio and I use DeimOS at my job so I could care less if you use osx or xp. Your a mute point
Well, apparently you DO care, as evidenced by your apparent need to post in this thread to poop all over one particular platform.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Your a mute point
Ummm- I think you mean "moot" point fuuck

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:

Obviously you do care or you wouldn't have posted. I use both OS and Mac OS is FAR superior to XP. Not even close. So I can't understand why anybody would want to run Windows. But to each his own ey?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Cause the new imac's look sick
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Albano View Post
Obviously you do care or you wouldn't have posted. I use both OS and Mac OS is FAR superior to XP. Not even close. So I can't understand why anybody would want to run Windows. But to each his own ey?
Bro you obviously know jack **** about operating systems. Cuz if you did, youd know
that any operating system running on an intel chip is limited by the x86 proteced mode achitecture.

You would also realize that the software guys at Apple are no more skilled that the guys at Microsoft. In fact if you use OSX you should already know that the kernel of your os was written by a bunch of 21 year olds in the 70's. I supppose that doesn't mean it is not good. but....

OSX and XP both suck. FAR superior? your a dope
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
and VMS.
Windows XP is not based on Unix. XP is based on the windows NT kernel that came from windows NT and then 2000.

Quote:
I dont think anyone using a particular platform shows that it is the best. BEOS is a good choice if you want to create a platform rather than a general purpose OS like Xp or osx. There are plenty of perifirals running customised versions of windows and Unix varients. Just because mackie use windows 98 as the basis of the hdr24 doesnt make me think that windows 98 is the ultimate multimedia machine. Nor do i think that the OS, be it windows, OSX, Beos or any other contribute anything to the sound of a device such as hard disk recorder.

A good operating system should be invisible. I also think that as someone who uses OSX, Windows and Linux they are all very stable as operating systems. and its mostly applications that crash, not the OS.

K
Old 30th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

At first I thought Allen was a troll, now I'm thinking it's risc vs. cisc that's he's not over. It totally ignores the pace of devopment on risc processors. And ambivalence towards Apple ignores the fact that it was Apple engineers that developed BeOS. This is also a total derailment of the OP. AND IZ picked BeOS from a variety of factors, I think cost being probably the most predominant one. BeOS is cheap because there is so little development for it. Why do you think PALM bought it? because they have advanced processors? HA!

To compare BeOS to full featured operating systems like OSX or XP is like comparing a go-cart to a Camry. Sure it's quicker, but I wouldn't want one for a daily driver.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search