The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Nut
For some reason I came to read this revived thread and it seems pretty likely that the "inside info" was that some APC tracks were done while GnR's Chinese Democracy was supposed to be made. Funny, actually.... if Josh was tracking drums for APC during sessions that Axl was flaking out or something.

At least something good came out of that damn Guns and Roses record.
Old 4th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Been looking for fourteen ages trying to find out what the core of the guitar tone was on this album...finally found it today. HUZZAH!!!!!!!

Naylor SD

A Perfect Circle - Just about everyone know's of APC and their story of how the band came about. The brain child of Billy Howerdal one time light tech, guitar tech and programmer for some major bands (NIN, Pumpkins, G N' R, Fishbone and Tool to name a few) Billy had been writing song's over the years during his tech work for the bands and in 96 while working on Tool's Aenima sessions Maynard James Keenan heard Billy's work and became interested in the project and from that APC was born.
Billy has three Naylor/Marshall hybrid amps one for studio work and two for the road they were Moded by Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Inc. one of our dealers in the LA area. The amps are Naylor preamps with Marshall JMP Super Lead 100 watt output sections.

Naylor Engineering Samples - Amplifiers - Speakers - Cabinets - Accessories
Old 4th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeballcore View Post
Been looking for fourteen ages trying to find out what the core of the guitar tone was on this album...finally found it today. HUZZAH!!!!!!!

Naylor SD

A Perfect Circle - Just about everyone know's of APC and their story of how the band came about. The brain child of Billy Howerdal one time light tech, guitar tech and programmer for some major bands (NIN, Pumpkins, G N' R, Fishbone and Tool to name a few) Billy had been writing song's over the years during his tech work for the bands and in 96 while working on Tool's Aenima sessions Maynard James Keenan heard Billy's work and became interested in the project and from that APC was born.
Billy has three Naylor/Marshall hybrid amps one for studio work and two for the road they were Moded by Dave Friedman of Rack Systems Inc. one of our dealers in the LA area. The amps are Naylor preamps with Marshall JMP Super Lead 100 watt output sections.

Naylor Engineering Samples - Amplifiers - Speakers - Cabinets - Accessories
Yes. Billy has those sweet modded marshalls. Another great example of those amps is on his solo project Ashes Divide. The radio hit was called "The Stone". Great heavy Marshall tone on that record.

I read back that there was an idea that Mesa rectifiers were used on the first APC. I'd really question the ear of someone who would hear that album and think those were rectifiers.

That first APC record is just magical. If you were a fan of that record, Ashes Divide is definetly something to check out.
Old 5th March 2015
Lives for gear

Sick heavy Marshall tone on this tune.

"The Stone"
ASHES dIVIDE - The Stone - YouTube

Youtube embed is getting fixed right now
Old 5th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
Yes. Billy has those sweet modded marshalls. Another great example of those amps is on his solo project Ashes Divide. The radio hit was called "The Stone". Great heavy Marshall tone on that record.

I read back that there was an idea that Mesa rectifiers were used on the first APC. I'd really question the ear of someone who would hear that album and think those were rectifiers.

That first APC record is just magical. If you were a fan of that record, Ashes Divide is definetly something to check out.
Yea I like it quite a bit too. Never liked any of the other APC material for whatever reason aside the song "Pet". They lost some of that Cure vibe for me I guess (for lack of a better way to describe their semi-gothic tendencies).

I'd read the Rectifier thing too and came away pretty aggravated I couldn't pull that tone out of one.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeballcore View Post
Yea I like it quite a bit too. Never liked any of the other APC material for whatever reason aside the song "Pet".
Same feeling. The first record is just awesome. I was just listening to it the other day. However I never got on board with anything after it. O well.

I hate to keep sounding like an Ashes Divide Fan boy but his album is just great. Billy H was the master behind APC and its is cool to hear him write, record, and perform his music with only his creative direction.

I also just seriously love his heavy rhythm tones on Ashes. I have a JCM 900 SLX with a standard 1960a cab and its too saturated and more modern (relatively) than the old JMP super leads, JTM 45's, and non master volume marshalls.

My 900 does what it was intended to do very well but doesn't do the older marshall tone very well. IMO. Its "passable" for old marshall tone. But still, theres too much preamp gain and its hard to keep it from sounding more like 80's metal. Has 4 12AX7's in the preamp as opposed to 3 in the 800.

I like to mult my guitar signal and track with The that Marshall and a Dual rectifier, both boosted and then blended together for the mix. Marshall with standard off the self TS9 and the boogie with a fulltone OCD.

That blend is pretty sweet. But i'm going for a more heavy modern metal tone. Ok....tangent over. Sorry for the long winded post.

I would do despicable things to get one of those Naylor Marshalls.

Last edited by Ienjoyaudio; 6th March 2015 at 12:48 AM..
Old 30th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
This is complete and utter nonsense. First off, over 98% of the homes in Los Angeles don't have basements. There were a lot of politics involved in the recording of this record (i.e., it was started during sessions of another extremely high profile, yet to be released record). It was mostly recorded at the studio of another well known Los Angeles based artist.

It's all live guitars, basses and drums. The guitar amps are Rectifiers (duh). Josh Freese is the drummer.

That's all I can say about the record at this time. But whatever's been in print is a fabrication.

Enjoy the record!
So, is it a more fitting time now?

Let me guess. The guys made the record under the guize of making demos of songs for Axl Rose and the label. Effectively screwing them out of money. Then made up the homerecording story to avoid getting sued.

Even deeper down the rabbit hole.. This was all Trent Reznors idea, and the Tapeworm sessions were just a front for the production of the album.

Blink three times if I'm correct.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search