The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Irony! Digidesign! Audio Interfaces
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Irony! Digidesign!

I just realized how funny it is that Digi locks their hardware with their DAE, and even so PT loses it's connection with a 002 all the time.

Meanwhile, one can run Live, Safari, Garageband, Reason, QuickTime, iTunes, and DVD Player all at the same time with CoreAudio, and not have a single hiccup.

Is it just me?

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

sounds more like a hardware issue...

i haven't lost connection with my 002 rack ever and my pal has never lost connection with his 002 surface
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I can multi-task between Pro Tools, Safari, iTunes, all that stuff just fine. I might not be getting the question exactly...
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
Is it just me?
Yes. You either have a bad FireWire card, cable or 002.

Rail
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Shoulda posted this on the DUC.

heh
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've lost connection with my brand new 002R when it was conneted to the front FW port.

Switched to rear and all has been well.

FWIW.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Coming recently from an academic setting, we had dozens and dozens of 002 rigs, and I had to restart at least one 002 close to once a week before I could run PT. It happens quite often. I know that those machines were used by many people, and thus, increased potential for problems, but still, there were plenty of them to go around and they were well maintained by the tech staff.

Just throwing that out there. The machines were all G5s running 10.3, for what it's worth.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

hm well...

i turn off my computer at night and shut down most of my gear....so i guess i haven't found the need to restart after a week...

but i thought this was more along the lines of... "oops, i was doing something in PT and i lost connection to the interface"
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

'twas usually just the 6086 thing.

but it would only happen the first time you press the SPACEBAR! when you load a session. each subsequent time, it would work fine... like it was just not accessing the drive fast enough to start.

anyhoo, i changed the FW cables and it's cured.

thanks!

P.S. It's still ironic that PRO TOOLS was the only software that did this. Every other program was able to run fine on the other cables. But... it's the cable's fault, right?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

well...if you switched it out and it works fine now...i'd say yup.

dfegad
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wrong.

Digidesign = Le Faulted

P.S. I love PT, but I would love it more if it worked on CoreAudio, like the rest of the world. It can still do a hardware check on startup, even validate the serial number of the software with a digital ID of the piece of hardware or something to that effect, but use CoreAudio because it is more universal and cooler sounding name for an audio engine than DAE.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like this thread is a failed attempt at taking a jab at digidesign. So, you changed cables, everything seems fine now, yet somehow it's still digi's fault? I think some people just like to complain, especially when they think they'll get a bunch of people on board with them.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Let's see... every other DAW I can think of has worked and does work here...

PT didn't like the cables. PT was the only program that was affected by the cables.

I don't give a crap if anybody gets on board, but thanks for... uh... sharing.

I just thought it was FUNNY, personally.

Grow a beard, men.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I get all types of disconnects, errors and wierd things. What the hell is a neo access error? Other than "run through the trouble shooting steps", I couldn't get a clear answer from the DUC why this stuff is happening.

My power harness just crapped out for the 2nd time since I purchased the 002 Rack 4 years ago. I got the replacement today, and I'm hoping that had something to do with at least some of my problems.

And I'm still on a G4, so I'm sure some of my issues are resource related. BFD is taxing.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've had my pro Nikon digital camera not like a USB cable that my girlfriend's point and shoot kodak didn't mind. My friend's Canon DSLR didn't like it either.

Does that make kodak a better camera maker than Canon and Nikon?

Boing.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hate digidesign
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orksnork View Post
I've had my pro Nikon digital camera not like a USB cable that my girlfriend's point and shoot kodak didn't mind. My friend's Canon DSLR didn't like it either.

Does that make kodak a better camera maker than Canon and Nikon?

Boing.
Your metaphor doesn't coincide, son.

Logic works. Garageband works. Ableton Live works. Reason works. Abysnth standalone works. Battery standalone works. Let me cut this short, EVERYTHING works on CoreAudio. Never an issue.

Pro Tools, DAE, doesn't work.

The point is that PT's DAE is getting in the way. That's why they're redesigning the whole damn thing for 7.4.

Like I'm stupid!

tutt
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

The point is that PT's DAE is getting in the way. That's why they're redesigning the whole damn thing for 7.4.
This would be nice.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

my 002 sits in a box because of the same stuff people are talkin about in this thread. I want to sell it but feel pretty grimey about buying it for 2300, having problems with it for years and gettin i dunno MAYBE 1k for it now.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your metaphor doesn't coincide, son.

Logic works. Garageband works. Ableton Live works. Reason works. Abysnth standalone works. Battery standalone works. Let me cut this short, EVERYTHING works on CoreAudio. Never an issue.

Like I'm stupid!

tutt
I started experiencing frequent dropouts and was convinced it was the 002r (even had it checked out).

Turns out it was the firewire port on my Mac Pro. Once I figured this out, I manually reset the firewire ports.

Been smooth sailing ever since. Not a single hiccup with Pro Tools (or any other ap for that matter)...ever.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Jesus folks!

Don't you ever read the bulletins Digidesign puts out?

There is a known problem with the power harness of the digi 002(much like the airbus a380, but i digress)

Which make it go offline.

This is a guarantee matter.

They'll fix it for free or you'll get a new one unless it's more than 5 years old.

End of story, delete thread.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I'm stupid!

tutt

Maybe you are, son. My 002r has worked just fine for 4 years.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

There are plenty of people whose units pull the same stuff.

It isn't a power harness issue, but thanks for schooling me on that one.

The harness is soldered. It isn't loose or dirty by a long shot.

Thanks.

Anyway,
Old 30th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Looks like this thread is a failed attempt at taking a jab at digidesign. So, you changed cables, everything seems fine now, yet somehow it's still digi's fault? I think some people just like to complain, especially when they think they'll get a bunch of people on board with them.
002R's are known to have firewire issues which require you to get replacement parts from Digi and swap them out ....if you know the magic words. Happened to me and about 40 other people I know.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

They suck but...

I had to have to power harnesses put in. Digi paid for it even after warranty was up, which was unexpected and nice of them. But they are still market-cornering bastages sometimes. Then eventually it started happening again, and I changed out my Firewire cables at the request of a mac tech and it hasn't happened since.

Sucks that they suck though. You're right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search