The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audient SUMO Summing Mixers
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Audient SUMO

any comments?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

The Compressor rocks! Its got that "sonic glue" quality. I personally have not had the chance to try its summing features, and the colleague who did is on vacation. So I can't comment on that.
Old 29th August 2007

Ditto on the comp! ITs got that SSL spank! Very addictive.

The summing is transparent... But you can get some nice "colour" from the comp that's for sure.

Loads of head-room

It gives a subjectively "nice" result (tonally) Better than ITB? Well YMMV. It certainly doesn't degrade the sound, and you can get a good average vol/peak ratio to your 2-track bounces without it sounding rotten or "over-spanked"

The limiter works very well indeed!

Review here Audient Sumo
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

I purchased it new and hated it, sorry. Sold it to a fellow Gearslut who also hated it and sold it - he may add his views here, as he also spent quite some time with it. To me, it sounded nothing like a SSL comp, and the summing quality was way short of what I expected. For close to that money you can get an API 2500 to add a great 2 bus compression, and there are so many better summing options out there. If nothing more, please try it before you buy it. The last two years I have spent quality time in API, SSL, and Neve rooms. There is not much that beats the real deals and pimping this two rack SUMO unit and stating that quality is comperable is off base.

FWIW: I did hear a Nicenizer into a API 2500 that was pretty outstanding for sum/comp.
Old 29th August 2007
when I started a thread about the Audient comp only a few people liked it, most Audient console owners said they never used the comp for bus-comping, but would like to be able to patch it in on drums- and not the stereo/master bus!!!

Look at this:
Audient Console Bus Comp?
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy lee View Post
when I started a thread about the Audient comp only a few people liked it, most Audient console owners said they never used the comp for bus-comping, but would like to be able to patch it in on drums- and not the stereo/master bus!!!

Look at this:
Audient Console Bus Comp?
Ok, it's an old thread, but since it has not yet been closed, I can safely answer.
I have an Audient Sumo. I am very happy with it, especially for how he manages to facilitate the mix intended as sound separation rather than in itb.
As for his compressor: I'm happy. For my needs is more than enough. So what counts is how to set it!
Old 4th October 2018
Here for the gear

I almost ended up not buying SUMO becouse of couple bad reviews online, however i am so glad i did.

I have used it now for about a year, and i couldn't be happier with it.

There are couple of things to know though. Sumo if often reviewed as character-less/clean unit that doesn't color the sound. It is truth if you drive it lightly and don't have enough output coming out of your converter. Yes it has a lot of headroom. However if driven properly, and if it gets just in the area before red VU leds light up, it polishes the mix wonderfuly without use of any dynamics. One thing i could never achieve with plugins.

I use BLA modded 2626 and it has plenty of output juice, just enough to drive SUMO sufficiently.

Yes, the comp can get pumpy, just like an SSL can too, so the key is to use it sparingly. I noticed it starts compressing before GR leds start doing anything, so listen, don't look!

I even did a mod to compressor section, adding switchable HPF filter to sidechain/detector circuit. It's really just adding two capacitors and a switch. So i got a buss compressor that is less reactive to LF, and glues the mix without any overbearing compression coming from LF.

If anyone is interrested in the mod just add two 100nF capacitors in series with CD9 and CD11. Add switch which bypasses new 100nF caps to turn on and off sidechain HPF.

100nF caps create gentle slope HPF filter starting at about 500hz rolling off 60hz for about -16db. See the picture in the attachment.

One thing one can always do is to add input and/or output transformers, but that would cost a bit for 16 input chanels, and would be questionable if there is enough room for all of them.

The best thing about it is that guy who sold it to me read a lot of bad reviews here and sold it for 100$. Best peace of gear i bought last year!

I can post ITB vs driven SUMO example if anyone is still interrested.
Attached Thumbnails
Audient SUMO-20180322_125040-2268x3024.jpg  
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Yes pls.. I’m considering a few options at the mo bet and one is a zen console and I’m lead to believe that all their consoles have the ssmecsumming architecture. Keen to hear what that is like sonically compared to ssl matrix or AWS
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

The files are normalized, no dynamics engaged.
Box
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks so much..

Quite a difference in depth and space with more 3D front to back’ ness!

More width also to my ears.

Not to say the DAW mix was bad but this summing just makes it more real or what my ears are accustomed to.

Nice sound
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

Exactly. And the snare got tucked in nicely.
I could probably make some kind of similar effect with combination of limiting/saturation/stereo field manipulation, but that would take time. And how do i know what dirrection to go in if i don't have a summing device to refference?

The point is it's not that subtle, and it should be used as an analog console, push it if needed. Compressor doesn't even have to be used. Or use it just as a drum bus unit, whatever...
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Yes exactly!

I’ve been ITB the last year pretty much sbdvim finally getting mixes I like, yet I’m struggling to get all those elements mentioned above.

Getting me more curious about a zen if I can find one.

Wiggy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search