The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Get rid of a SE Pre2(neve) + A&H Mix Wizard 20S for Midas Venice 240? Mixers (Analog)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Get rid of a SE Pre2(neve) + A&H Mix Wizard 20S for Midas Venice 240?

For those that don't know, it's Studio Electronics Pre2 neve style preamp. I don't hear too much talk about these on this board. http://www.atlasproaudio.com/se.html

Mind you, I'm on a budget and am currently getting my new project together. I'm the only one making the tunes and I use a lot of synths, with vocals, guitars, and samplers (which take drum duties).

I was thinking about getting a Venice. The Venice is more money and I would expect it to be a step up, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just buy another preamp instead of selling for a Venice. I was looking at some tube preamps to compliment my Neve 1272 style pre. Possibly beginning of next year, if I went for the Venice, I would add a tube preamp.

I'm guessing if I made the jump I'd be missing out on the Neve sound. Not sure where to aim here. Would this switch be worth it for now (until I get the funds to add other preamps)?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I guess, my question more to the point would be, should I have my Neve type preamp (SE Pre2) ran through my A&H mixer and use it's EQ along with software EQ (from Logic Pro 7) instead of having my tracks go through a Midas Venice, preamps and EQs, and back into my Mac?

Any opinions on any of these boards and how you might think they cut it soundwise?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
The Venice is excrutiatingly over-rated and overpriced. It gets a lot of hype here, but my experiences with it have been negative. Sure, it works. But it doesn't sound great, feel great, or look great. I would maybe pay $500 for the 16 ch. You are way better off with an Allen and Heath GL2400 series. Way better value, and actually better sound in my opinion.

That said, I think you;re better off keeping the pre, selling the MixWizard and dumping a little more cash into getting a GL2400.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGlory View Post
The Venice is excrutiatingly over-rated and overpriced. It gets a lot of hype here, but my experiences with it have been negative. Sure, it works. But it doesn't sound great, feel great, or look great. I would maybe pay $500 for the 16 ch. You are way better off with an Allen and Heath GL2400 series. Way better value, and actually better sound in my opinion.

That said, I think you;re better off keeping the pre, selling the MixWizard and dumping a little more cash into getting a GL2400.
I have a Midas Venice 16, and it rocks. I really dig it's EQ section. Most of me pres are outboard, so I can't speak too much for that. But the EQ has changed me and my perspective on EQing in a lot of ways.

But...
It's a live mixer. In short, the routing has been a bitch and totally undermined my initial studio set-up. If you're in a shoebox, plan carefully with a 30-day refund if you find out you can get 24 channels out of your mixer.

If you're going 2-channel to disk you're monitoring won't be a problem because it's a one-way street. For me, in order to listen to 8 tape returns, I can only use 4 send. So I have a 4-channel setup for tracking and 8 for mixing back.

Not exactly what I had in mind when I bought it.

If I had to do it all over again, I can't say I wouldn't go with a Midas, but I would definitely re-think my options.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

So you're saying the components of the GL2400 are of much higher quality than the MixWizard? Looking at the 2, they look really similar. I'm guessing the EQs and pres are better than the MixWizard? Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you think the Midas is good, just not $2000 more 'good' (than the GL2400)?
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Hi All, this is a great forum. I bumped into it while i was searching for some tube preamp schematics.Im a live sound engneer since 1986 and got ****loads to learn.

Oke regarding venice ...

The Midas Venice is the best sounding console in its class. Having said that it aint no XL3 or heritage.
Venice Eq is nice but not awesome, and its a pretty, compact, lightweight mixer.

I have used most allen and heaths and they are an engineers nightmare.
Eq is ****e, sounds boxy, noisy and so much crosstalk in most of their mixers.2 words for allen and heath ... stay away

rgds
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search