The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Woodpecker Active Ribbon Microphone Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Blue Woodpecker Active Ribbon Microphone

ANyone used one?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

They look cool, but for the money, I'd buy a 121. Or a bunch of those cascades.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Actually, on your studio auditions website. Haha, honestly not first hand. But I've always liked the 121 a whole lot. But hey, maybe the woodpecker is phenomenal. But ya cant go wrong with 121s.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

i heard the woodpecker samples on War's page, and it sounds pretty good on my crappy computer speakers. it has that fluffy, high end transient thing going on that i like about old-school ribbon mics... at least from what i can hear in those audio samples.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I mean, no doubt it's gonna be great. Blue is known for good stuff. But I still think I'd like to have a 121, but what do I know... I'd have to A/B them.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

After listening to the demo, I can't help feeling that there is some kind of sameness with all the Blue Mic if you know what I mean, maybe it is the quality of the compressed clip. Yes the Woodpecker sounds clean, full body, high output and very condensor. But the problem is that it doesn't sound like a ribbon mic to me, it sounds too good.

Last edited by Jules; 30th August 2007 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: Private email info removed
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

The BLUE site says it's a pressure gradient transducer. Aren't ribbons velocity transducers? This makes me somewhat suspect - plus the name and the looks (as discussed in other threads - search "woodpecker").
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I got one from Warren and really like it. Has the ribbon mic vibe but definitely more high end than any other ribbon I've tried.

I really like it on acoustic guitar.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I wonder if the active electronics in the mic bring up the top end....not as a deliberate effect, but, rather, sorting out the impedance issues at the mic, and sending a strong signal down the wire.

Has anyone tried any other active ribbons? If so, do they also have an extended top end?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

It really does sound like a ribbon. Maybe it returned a little more high end detail than I thought it would.

Unfortunately, like most Blue microphones I've tried, I've only heard it on my voice. So I don't really know anything about anything. Most of us tend to build ideas about what a microphone might sound like one instrument from the way it sounds on another.

There was something "stuffy" about the Woodpecker. The mid-range wasn't as "sorted-out" as I'd want something to be when listening out-of-context. I'd like to try it on sounds that contain more sibilant elements.

Out-of-context evaluation is pretty tough. If a microphone doesn't have a confusing middle-range and the highs are open but not too present, I start thinking "I could use this on anything!" Most pop mixes though, have room for at least a couple of wacky-sounding microphones on important elements.

If you can get it for $500, jump.
Old 29th August 2007
500 series nutjob

i have had one of the woodpeckers in for review now for some time and although i do not want to say much at this point as it will be in my review, i will say it is a very impressive mic!

i would highly recommend calling Warren at Front End Audio!

pan60
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Pan, when and where can we read your upcoming review?
Old 31st August 2007
500 series nutjob

i will post it here on gearslutz as well as a few other places.
i am working on a few new reviews
thanks
Old 31st August 2007
500 series nutjob

p.s.
it will be a bit as i am also doing a review as well and that is taking some time.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I've messed with Royer's R122 a bit and yes, compared to the R121 it does tend to have a more extended top end...to what degree depends on the preamp you use it with. Because the R122 is essentially buffered its sound is not as easily influenced by the preamp it's connected to as the R121, which will sound fairly different from one preamp to the next.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search