The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bug repellents Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

bug repellents

I was doing some shopping yesterday and while waiting for my girlfriend to get cash for the cashmachine I heard as really high pitched pulsing sound. I walked around the corner to investigate and nearly had my head blown off by the sound of this box high up on the wall. My girlfriend could hear it too but it didn't hurt her ear as it did mine???

I am assuming it is some kind of bug repellent as I can't imagine what else it would be use for. Anyway, today they was a bunch of people out having a cigerette break (I assume) and they were standing direct below the thing seemingly oblivous to it. Surely these things can't be good for our ears. Has anyone ever seen (or heard) one of these things??
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

they are for dissuading teenagers from hanging around, The rationale being that kids hear the high pitch whereas most adults don't - works well apparently, unless of course you have above average hearing for an adult
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaudio View Post
they are for dissuading teenagers from hanging around, The rationale being that kids hear the high pitch whereas most adults don't - works well apparently, unless of course you have above average hearing for an adult
I thought they used elevator music for that
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bastards!!!!!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

?

Quote:

..are you serious?..
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
..are you serious?..
He's serious!! Read this

Teenage control and deterrent products for shops and homes Compound Security Systems Mosquito fuuckfuuck

I can see why a need for such a product might occur but come on.... What happened to talking? reasoning? Out-witing? A good kick up the arse????
Bring back corporal punishment I say, it would be a damn sight better than these ear busters!!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanriffic View Post
..are you serious?..
Sadly, yes.
They also started installing them in Switzerland, but it raised a stink and they had to remove them, because it couldn't be proved they didn't constitute a serious health hazard. They got the idea from the UK.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Another cool thing is hail cannons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_cannon
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Back in the '60s, the town here used to have traffic signals that used some kind of sonar-like device to sense cars waiting in the left turn lanes. As an 8-year-old, I found them incredibly annoying. Once I mentioned it to my mom. By rolling the car windows down and turning off the radio, she said she could hear it, just barely.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Another cool thing is hail cannons:

Hail cannon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
excellent! BUT! How loud would a frequency of sound need to be in order to knock someone out?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search