The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk me out of this....please!
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Talk me out of this....please!

For the life of me I cannot seem to stop myself. It's not as if I don't have enough problems and issues in my home studio to keep me busy for a year. But now I am about to purchase a Tascam 388 and the only thing I can think of is the warm sweet sound of analogue tape. And the dreamy magical qualities that you can't find ITB. I guess I need an intervention. Somebody please just give me 2 good reasons why I shouldn't do this. Man do I need help bad.

Retronut
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

as long as the price is right, do it. it's a 'funky junk' kinda piece, but it has loads of character where digital has none. 'warm and sweet' are not words that come to mind, more like 'round and gritty'.

have fun with it!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 28th August 2007
aww the memories. i recorded my first demo's on a friends Tascam 388.
boy did they sound like ass. the owner did improve his recording skills with it over the years. great for old school loop cutting experiments.
i second the 'round and gritty' comment.
how much is it going for?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say go for it! I recently recorded two projects to the 388, with nothing more than an Art Tube Pre. We mixed ITB with some outboard compressors/reverbs at a friend's studio, and I think the results sound great. If you don't mind tape hiss, then what the hell?
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

The unit is $550.00 and includes some additional goodies. I am not concerned about the money by I am a bit concerned about the issues that involve old gears, keeping it running correctly, that sort of thing. I have never messed with calibration, and the like. Perhaps it isn’t such a big deal with this unit but I would think that things like tape heads, rollers, and such would need to be looked after immediately. Anyway, you guys are enablers.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've got an extra 388 that I can part with(need the cash) if you're looking for an extra one?
They are great, solid units...you'll enjoy recording with them.

Aaron
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
I've got an extra 388 that I can part with(need the cash) if you're looking for an extra one?
They are great, solid units...you'll enjoy recording with them.

Aaron
Oh, swell now you temp me with yet another one. So, I'm in Illinois your in Virginia. What do you suppose it would cost to ship one of these babies? Otherwise I would guess that would be an easy 12-15 hours one way drive.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't do it!!!

Stay here in the box where it's clinically clean and you'll never have to concern yourself with all those nasty 'vintage' noises.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

better than digital
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retronut View Post
For the life of me I cannot seem to stop myself. It's not as if I don't have enough problems and issues in my home studio to keep me busy for a year. But now I am about to purchase a Tascam 388 and the only thing I can think of is the warm sweet sound of analogue tape. And the dreamy magical qualities that you can't find ITB. I guess I need an intervention. Somebody please just give me 2 good reasons why I shouldn't do this. Man do I need help bad.

Retronut
1. You dont need tape- it doesnt sound as good as you remember and you've forgotten what a royal pain in the arse it is.

2. Dont reach for piece of gear to magically fix your sound... it's probably that you aint working it right... loads of GREAT sounding records are recorded digitaly now. Now dont get me wrong, I mix OTB but Pro Tools is my tape machine now and when I dip back to tape its a pain... apart from the sound, but the work flow gets stuffed up.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

stay ITB but mix OTB PLEASE........
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

The 388 get a lot of love over at the Tape Op board...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search