The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Location recording..how to prepare, acoustically?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Location recording..how to prepare, acoustically?

Hey, I have to go to a drumemrs house to record in his basement, it was my only option. I've never seen his basement, yet he told me it was furnished and was well insulated.
How do you guys prepare for a recording session for a place you've never been, seen or heard? My main concern is how should I get the best sound out of a room I've never been to before, probably with no acoustic treatment either?

Thanks
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

You just going to have to try out different places in the room with different mic placements till you get the sound you want. I will tell you to make sure the guy has all new heads, well tuned and that his cymbals are of quality. It is bad enough that you don't know the room and to throw a crappy drum sound on top of that will make your life hell.

Glenn
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

You might want to bring some additional stands and a few blankets to "sort of" treat the room some more than just with the furniture already in there. When the ceiling is low, it can be good to fix OHs directly to the ceiling (or use a stand to bring them up there) so they are basically PZMs. Use lots of close mics to rely on.

Or treat the room properly with some gobos and stuff and use real PZMs
Old 28th August 2007
at the least ask for info on

- room dimensions; length width height
- room surfaces; glass, brick, curtain
- floor surface; cement, carpet

should give you a pretty good idea.

ask about the shape of the room, too. watch out for room modes and comb filtering.

worst case scenario is you have to really close mic everything.

good luck with it.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

if the room is going to sound like crap, which an untreated basement is going to...deader the better...

i've done plenty of recording in basements over time...get a ton of blankets, staple them up, nail them, pushpins, mic stands...

do what you can to minimize reflections...

alas, this isn't going to do anything for the low end reflections...but...do what you can...

is there a big comfy couch in the room? stand it up in the corner...

close mic each drum...maybe keep the overheads a little lower in an effort to get less room...

dont' rush...just because it's a crap space doesn't mean that more effort isn't going to give you a better sound...

work on it.
Old 28th August 2007

Take all you mics and stands. Get whatever mic hardware extras you might think of (like those clamp-on extra mic/pop filter thingies).

Consider getting an order of OC703 and taking some screws and twine.

Good luck

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search