The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much do you charge? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd September 2007
  #61
Lives for gear
 

not enough...
Old 2nd September 2007
  #62
Lives for gear
 
picksail's Avatar
 

It's amazing to me how, no matter the subject, it always ends in an LA bashing fiasco.

Quite funny.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #63
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
It's amazing to me how, no matter the subject, it always ends in an LA bashing fiasco.

Quite funny.
Don't worry, there is still time for us to turn this into and ITB vs OTB debate.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #64
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Don't worry, there is still time for us to turn this into and ITB vs OTB debate.
Which is only one step away from a Mac vs. PC "discussion."

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 2nd September 2007
  #65
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Which is only one step away from a Mac vs. PC "discussion."

Cheers,
--
Don

And two steps from a pro tools vs. everything else "discussion".
Old 2nd September 2007
  #66
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

currently charging 50 pr/hr.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #67
Lives for gear
 

I would like to add that the reason these events happened was because the people that were pissed off were pissed off at the waves update plan, mixing in the box and their lousy converters which led to poor sounding records. Once I introduced them to analog tape and fairchild compressors, they became the model citizens that I knew they would be.

Either way, I'm done with this topic and promise to not be baited. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
So youre saying there is only violence if YOU start it. Again, while there, I was involved in at least 1/2 dozen altercations and I started none of them. Here is a few off the top of my head

1. Walked through a parking lot on LaBrea/Wilshire, gang members start trying to provoke me. I say nothing, they get out of car and follow me. I booked it once around corner and had no problem.

2. Picked up some DATS and CDRS from Project 1 on Sunset leave and have someone smack me on the chest and say, "Where is you're fukin money"

3. Outside 7 11 on Moorpark guy comes up to me, asks for some change and swings at me out of no where.

4. Sagebrush Cantina, biker guy decides he wants to kick my ass becuase of "the way" I was waiting on line for a beer

5. Rainbow: Guy goes out of his way to pick fight with a friend of mine. When I nicely told him to stop, he starts with me.

6. Guy comes after me when in apartment when he decided he didnt want to leave an acquaintences apt.

Whatever, its not my problem anymore.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #68
Gear Addict
 
davedarling's Avatar
 

hey Corkytart remind me never to stand next to you... you seem to have had an awful lot of bad luck here in L.A.
I've lived here for 25 years, valley,silverlake,hollywood, all over and with the exception of your usual big city ****, nothing like the situations you mentioned has ever happened to me.

maybe i'm just lucky.

good luck, and what ever you do...be careful - dave darling
Old 2nd September 2007
  #69
Lives for gear
 
idylldon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
I would like to add that the reason these events happened was because the people that were pissed off were pissed off at the waves update plan, mixing in the box and their lousy converters which led to poor sounding records. Once I introduced them to analog tape and fairchild compressors, they became the model citizens that I knew they would be.
heh heh

Quote:
Either way, I'm done with this topic and promise to not be baited. :-)
Hell, I'm a master at that. heh

I'm truly sorry for all the sh*t you went through in LA. Remind me not to stand next to you during a thunderstorm! There are many reasons I left the LA area and moved up to the mountain. I'll never go back "down" there to live again. My next stop will be even more rural.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 2nd September 2007
  #70
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Yes, I assumed so from your haircut.




I doubt you're enough of a moron to actually have said this with any seriousness.

A) it makes you sound ******** and prejudiced.
"
B) it makes you sound like you have absolutely no understanding of economics.

C)Are there Burger Kings in Boston? Do people work there? I really don't follow your logic. There are no underclass folk in Boston? Or do "Au Bon Pain" and "Dunkin Donuts" pay $30/hr?

(Ah, geographic humor)



" This is a self contradicting argument.

Individually, either of these mediums create dramatically more revenue than music, and the average person finds TV and Film to be far more entertaining than music."




These are the uncheesy acts?!? Should I applaud the irony of this statement or question your tastes? David Lee Roth and Jim Morrison are easily two of the cheesiest people to have ever walked the earth.



Fine, agreed. But it's not the Mexicans that make LA a slum. It's the frickin' vapid white people. Especially the white boys with dreads.
(Oh, snap! No he didn't.)


Sorry to tear into you like that, but a confrontational post like yours just begs for it. Dude, you're just asking to get flamed.

Oh yeah, and unless you're in the exclusive company of metalheads, never boast about being the "metal capital of the world". It does not make you sound badass. It makes you sound like an F*ing dork.


Always sweet talking and making friends,


"A) it makes you sound ******** and prejudiced." - I was wrong, LA is not all mexicans. It is half made up of mexicans. Prejudice? Is stating that Amish country is filled with Amish folks, Salt Lake is filled with mormans, Little Italy in the Bronx is filled with Italians, and Nursing homes are filled with great grand moms makes me predjudice too?? even when you state fact your a racist??
"South Boston is filled with white people " damn I guess I am prejudice.

Retarted? Now that's cruel.


"B) it makes you sound like you have absolutely no understanding of economics."

Your right I don't. But I do realize people who push brooms for $5 an hour need a roof over their head too. So it can't be that expensive in LA since there are only about 10,000 homeless in LA and about 8 million non homeless

"c)Are there Burger Kings in Boston? Do people work there? I really don't follow your logic. There are no underclass folk in Boston? Or do "Au Bon Pain" and "Dunkin Donuts" pay $30/hr?"

This is dumb. My point was the cost of living in Boston similar to LA. Actually Dunkin pays about 12 an hour here. Kelly's roast beef in Reveeeere pay 15.

"David Lee Roth and Jim Morrison are easily two of the cheesiest"
Your a complete A$$ for even thinking that. But they are not half
as popular as Jadakiss!! Huh?


"Fine, agreed. But it's not the Mexicans that make LA a slum. It's the frickin' vapid white people. Especially the white boys with dreads" That's not me in the photo
it's Max from Soulfly. You don't get out much do you?

"Sorry to tear into you like that, but a confrontational post like yours just begs for it. Dude, you're just asking to get flamed."

No worries!!! I post just for shock value and to push buttons on folks like you. And you fell for it I might add. You spent alot of time replying to my post. Now I know you don't make 80 and hour in audio. You post here for free!!!!


"Oh yeah, and unless you're in the exclusive company of metalheads, never boast about being the "metal capital of the world". It does not make you sound badass. It makes you sound like an F*ing dork"



Metal is one style of music that simpletons not unlike yourself will never understand. It is the one style of music that has been around for over a quarter century and keeps pushing the boundries of musical innovation. One thing metal is not, is simple music for simple minds. That's why you don't get it I guess......

dork. 1. Slang A stupid, inept, or foolish person

"Trust me, I'm a scientist." "I've had sideburns since I was born" hmmmm, now thtat is inept.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #71
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I've told you before that you contribute little, to nothing to this board. You're posts do little more than talk down to people and piss everyone off. BTW you're dead wrong about housing prices in LA. 5 years ago my Aunt sold a 2 bedroom one bath 850 sqft. ranch on a 7000 sqft lot for 675,000 in Orange County. Speaking of very reputable, can I hear some of your amazing recordings? I've seen you try and call people out several times.

dude here's a nice two bedroom condo in boston. LA expensive?
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

ooh here's a nice 3 bedroom condo
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

wow here's a nice town house in my old neighborhood see what 2.5 bathrooms will cost in a city with a cost of living less than LA???

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

your lookin at over 2 mil for a house here

Also you probably have heard some of my recordings you just didn't know it.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #72
Gear Head
 

Actually if you want to look at statistics between Boston and LA here it is:


# To maintain the same standard of living, your salary of $100,000 in Los Angeles-Long Beach, California could decrease to $94,771 in Boston, Massachusetts
# Stated another way, it's 5.2% cheaper to live in Boston, Massachusetts than Los Angeles-Long Beach, California

Its like comparing apples to Oranges. If you like where you live then... You like where you live.

Boston has its downers and LA has its downers but I really dont understand the broom pushing thing, really you just make yourself sound like an bigot saying something that lame.

Flaming anyone on the internet only shows what type of person someone really is.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #73
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Also you probably have heard some of my recordings you just didn't know it.

Then direct me to a few.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #74
Gear Maniac
 
Tabnetic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
"A) it makes you sound ******** and prejudiced." - I was wrong, LA is not all mexicans. It is half made up of mexicans. Prejudice? Is stating that Amish country is filled with Amish folks, Salt Lake is filled with mormans, Little Italy in the Bronx is filled with Italians, and Nursing homes are filled with great grand moms makes me predjudice too?? even when you state fact your a racist??
"South Boston is filled with white people " damn I guess I am prejudice.

yes, but you aren't saying any generalizations about their professions or class (ie: they all push brooms). it is not fact that all mexicans in LA push brooms. but if you need this explained to you (much less explained to you that it was irrelevant to bring up considering the OP anyway) then you probably won't get it. south boston is filled with white people, thankfully all of whom are not as ignorant as you.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #75
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Then direct me to a few.
First off Ive never said anything negative about someones music or recordings (not including famous bands) so I don't know where you got that

send me your email I'll email you a link
Old 2nd September 2007
  #76
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnetic View Post
yes, but you aren't saying any generalizations about their professions or class (ie: they all push brooms). it is not fact that all mexicans in LA push brooms. but if you need this explained to you (much less explained to you that it was irrelevant to bring up considering the OP anyway) then you probably won't get it. south boston is filled with white people, thankfully all of whom are not as ignorant as you.
Quit trying to pick a fight. I think I see something on your shoulder.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #77
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomoone View Post
Actually if you want to look at statistics between Boston and LA here it is:


# To maintain the same standard of living, your salary of $100,000 in Los Angeles-Long Beach, California could decrease to $94,771 in Boston, Massachusetts
# Stated another way, it's 5.2% cheaper to live in Boston, Massachusetts than Los Angeles-Long Beach, California

Its like comparing apples to Oranges. If you like where you live then... You like where you live.

Boston has its downers and LA has its downers but I really dont understand the broom pushing thing, really you just make yourself sound like an bigot saying something that lame.

Flaming anyone on the internet only shows what type of person someone really is.
I guess I was pretty much right then. So not exactly the same but +- 5% is nothing. So I guess we can charge $78 hour here. NOT!
Old 2nd September 2007
  #78
Lives for gear
 
firby's Avatar
 

I lived in LA. It's a weird town but not a bad town at all. I quite liked it. Out on hacienda Blvd I could get fantastic tacos and a mandarin Jaritos for 4 bucks. Awesome. My neighborhood was completely chinese. It was completely mandarin dialect chinese to be exact. Housing was really frickin expensive even out where I was. A good size house would run about 650K. California is a wonderful place to live.

I did not like the traffic, the air, the fires and natural disasters, or the kind of alienation that you feel there sometimes.

Sometimes the shows can be kind of not natural at some venues because everybody is trying to get signed.

When I think about Amoeba records I get misty.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #79
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
"A) it makes you sound ******** and prejudiced." - I was wrong, LA is not all mexicans. It is half made up of mexicans. Prejudice? Is stating that Amish country is filled with Amish folks, Salt Lake is filled with mormans, Little Italy in the Bronx is filled with Italians, and Nursing homes are filled with great grand moms makes me predjudice too??
he said it makes you "sound" prejudiced.
Old 2nd September 2007
  #80
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
First off Ive never said anything negative about someones music or recordings (not including famous bands) so I don't know where you got that

send me your email I'll email you a link

Its not that your bashed anyone recordings, its that youve questioned peoples abilities without ever hearing their stuff. People that I fee didnt even warrant being called out like that. My email is [email protected].
Old 2nd September 2007
  #81
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
dude here's a nice two bedroom condo in boston. LA expensive?
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

ooh here's a nice 3 bedroom condo
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

wow here's a nice town house in my old neighborhood see what 2.5 bathrooms will cost in a city with a cost of living less than LA???

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

your lookin at over 2 mil for a house here

Also you probably have heard some of my recordings you just didn't know it.
i find it so funny that in the post just before this you say you post for "shock value" (or something to that effect) like it means nothing to you, then you obviously made the effort to go and find the most expensive properties in boston that you could. stop typing dude, switch off your computer, go get some real world experience then when you come back onto this forum, you won't have to make stupid remarks about "shock value" to stop yourself looking like an idiot in front of people who you don't really need to explain yourself to.

i know that may sound smug, (and beforeyou ask) i probably wouldn't use those exact words if we were face to face, and i'm probably doing what you're getting "flamed" for right now, but hey, i'm bored and wanna write something...
Old 3rd September 2007
  #82
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
i find it so funny that in the post just before this you say you post for "shock value" (or something to that effect) like it means nothing to you, then you obviously made the effort to go and find the most expensive properties in boston that you could. stop typing dude, switch off your computer, go get some real world experience then when you come back onto this forum, you won't have to make stupid remarks about "shock value" to stop yourself looking like an idiot in front of people who you don't really need to explain yourself to.

i know that may sound smug, (and beforeyou ask) i probably wouldn't use those exact words if we were face to face, and i'm probably doing what you're getting "flamed" for right now, but hey, i'm bored and wanna write something...

those were the first 3 postings I could find. Honestly go to that home page of those links they are the first . Sorry we don't have trailer parks in Boston like your neighborhood. Need to go up old rt1 to find em here

real world experience? You make yourself sound like your 'someone'
who the fuc* are you ?

I posted on this thread stating Boston has the same cost of living as LA but
cheaper hourly studio rates. I was right LA and Boston are with 5%

Noone can except the fact that I'm right. Im not busting balls. Im not trying to be confrontational. Ill say it again Boston and LA have a similar cost of living.. Get it

Mr. real world experience?????
Old 3rd September 2007
  #83
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

bro-rate or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petterericsson View Post
But the artists and bands that I work with are mainly connected somehow thru friends. And that's the big Q, bro-rate or not....

not. friends of friends get biz-rate, bro-treatment.

i stopped mixing for other people several months ago, got my own art back on track. it was never fulltime, i need more variety in my days and i know its freakish but i like fresh air and sunlight. sometimes.

before i wound down my rate was anywhere from $200-500 per song; i can mix a tune in 3-4 hours these days. for that rate, there were no clients present and you get one, count 'em one, revision, and no recall ever. this is the glory of mixing analog: when we're done, we move on.

in seattle i had a tracking and recording space in the lower floor of my house, my day rate was $500 but that was in 1999. i imagine my day rate there would be slightly less these days, but i haven't been to seattle since 2004 so i don't know the scene anymore.

i love LA and plan to move there in a year or so. never been to boston. mexicans are good people. itb sucks. pro tools is cool but digi is absurd.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 3rd September 2007
  #84
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i can mix a tune in 3-4 hours these days. for that rate, there were no clients present and you get one, count 'em one, revision, and no recall ever. this is the glory of mixing analog: when we're done, we move on.
.
All due respect -- with this kind of approach how would you have expected to keep any clients, regardless of the rate?
Old 3rd September 2007
  #85
Lives for gear
 
paterno's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Noone can except the fact that I'm right.
From what I've read, I think there is exception with your whole line of thinking...
Old 3rd September 2007
  #86
Lives for gear
 
picksail's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post
All due respect -- with this kind of approach how would you have expected to keep any clients, regardless of the rate?
I thought it sounded a bit odd myself.
Old 3rd September 2007
  #87
Gear Maniac
 
Tabnetic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

Quit trying to pick a fight. I think I see something on your shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post

I post just for shock value and to push buttons...
something tells me this barely even scratches the surface of the hypocrisy that you indulge in that charming little mind garden of yours. keep up the good work, buck-o. i'm sure Gwar will give you a ring when they want to record that greatest hits record for $80/hr.
Old 3rd September 2007
  #88
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
real world experience? You make yourself sound like your 'someone'
who the fuc* are you ?
somebody who doesn't get reeeeaaally pissed off about forum replies...
Old 3rd September 2007
  #89
Lives for gear
 
FossilTooth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Kelly's roast beef in Reveeeere pay 15.
Oh really? How long have you been working there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
That's not me in the photo it's Max from Soulfly. You don't get out much do you?
Ok, Ok, I take it back. You're a total f-ing dork.



Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Also you probably have heard some of my recordings you just didn't know it.
Great! Then I'm sure that at least 50% of the recordings "I have probably heard" will be listed on your allmusic page.

Wait.... what's 50% of zero?

Well then, I guess I probably haven't heard them.



----

I'm just a working stiff freelance engineer who generally makes around $30/hr, room rate not included. I don't have a lot of big credits. You probably haven't heard most of the stuff I've worked on, and I'll happily admit it. Compared to many older professionals I'm pretty small potatoes.

Now Allen, get back to roasting beef and let the grownups talk about commerce.
Old 3rd September 2007
  #90
Lives for gear
 
DeathMonkey's Avatar
 

Mom, Dad, stop fighting!
You're tearing this family apaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart!




heh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mod Masochist / So much gear, so little time
24
Rook / The Good News Channel
1
briefcasemanx / Low End Theory
53
creegstor / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
1
skip bitmin / High end
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump