The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum sound concept- plugins- and a poll :D
Old 28th August 2007
Airwindows

Drum sound concept- plugins- and a poll :D

OK, so here's what I've been working on.

The idea is that while the ResEQ and such are good for things like vocals and guitars and especially anything that needs to be very present but out of the way of other stuff- they suck for drums (I know, I tried ResEQ on kick and snare) BECAUSE they focus the energy into particular bands and away from everything else.

So the cure is, find a way to take drum sounds and break them up, fracture them so they're more wide-range and no longer focus on particular resonances- even if the original tracks have them.

I did two plugins which are coming out shortly- Snares and Kicks. Snares amplitude modulates a white noise or pink noise signal with the source track, and blends it in. It's like triggering an electronic snare for the brightness quality and using that like EQ, except that Snares tracks the original source way way more closely- so closely that if there is cymbal bleed, it becomes like filtered white-noise, as if it's EQed, because Snares is actually tracking the frequency content. By the same token, brighter snare hits will trigger Snares to put out more highs in its white noise generation. The white and pink noise bits are on separate sliders- the pink noise part is much more beefy and can actually produce a hell of a lot of EXTREME lows, also sensitive to the frequency content of the source. I don't intend that part to be used at full crank because the DC swing is too high for it to be used as the primary sound- it's a fill-in, like the High section is.

Here's a preview: SnaresPreview.aiff
That's dry first, and then I put in full High snares, then full Low, and then some blends. Low also works on booming kick drums for making them more thundery.

Kicks is different, but uses some similar principles- it amplitude modulates the source by a sine tone, inverting it every half-wave. The way that basically works is, you dial in a frequency that fights with the resonances of the kick drum, and it breaks up the resonant tones into a more broadband thunderous rumble. Won't work on a clicky, tight sound as much as it would on a sustaining kick or subkick channel, but it might be great for that. It's doing a thing you can't do with EQ, synthesizing new subsonic frequencies tied directly to the low content of the original track- sort of like ring modulation though. Unlike the low section of Snares, it will not produce peaks higher than the source track- it's more subtractive even though it's adding frequencies to the blend.

Here's a preview of that: KicksPreview.aiff
Four dry kickdrum hits, then four with Kicks breaking it up, set as intense as it can go.

So here's the poll.

Which of these do you think is more desirable? Snares or Kicks?

For the first three people to answer, post your email or PM me your email, and I will give you a copy of the one you like best.
These are Mac AU plugins, so if you can't use it say so and I'll skip you and give the next guy a chance.

Cheers. Now I can go rest for a bit
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

snares

[email protected]

cool idea!
Old 28th August 2007
Airwindows

And snares for you! email sent.

I hope it's a cool idea, gotta earn money to feed my kitties :D one thing about it, I'm convinced it's the secret weapon to getting drums to work in a mix better, because it's the opposite of making them hit only at certain frequencies.

I've noticed in a lot of classic hit records that the drum sounds hit over a very wide range, and that's usually the difference between drum tracks and sample replacements- the samples are more wide-range and less localized to certain frequencies, especially snare samples.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

love the idea thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Jo
Old 28th August 2007
Airwindows

I've sent off two copies of Snares- Snares seems to be the one that gets people's interest up. Do I have a third vote to finish the little poll?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

I find Snares to be the more useful of the 2, nice concept!

[email protected]
Old 29th August 2007
Airwindows

OK, done!

Thank you everyone for the feedback. As a result of this I knocked $10 off the price of the less popular one so it'll find uses too (again, sustaining kicks or subkick are what that one's about)

The plugs are live and ready to go now, they're in the 'Bizarre' section of my store.

Snares $39.99
Kicks $29.99

Have fun! And thanks for the help
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

I also like the snares version better. I would really like to check it out. I can see using the kick version with my yamaha subkick tracks like you mentioned. You always seem to really describe your products in a cool way and when I use your plugs I can always grasp them right away. Anyhow, thanks for all the time you put into them and I get a great deal of use out them. I use them on most every mix I have done lately!!

Thanks again!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search