The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bryston 4BST
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Bryston 4BST

Hi peeps,

Wondering if any of you guys have any problems with your 4BST? I have been using this beautiful amp together with NS10s for about a year now, everything was fine, until last week when i switched on the amp, a loud 'boom' sound came out from the right speaker together with continous crackling noises, and the led light turned red on the right channel. I suspected that there is a huge surge during startup and only a DC leakage could have possibly caused this.
Can anyone confirm this?

I actually emailed bryston with regards to this problem and they suggested that i try switching the balanced and unbalanced switch several times with the amp off of course, they suspected that the switch could be faulty and recommended that i get it replaced immediatedly. However i have my doubts that the switch could be causing this problem.

The 4BST works like a charm with my NS10s and im getting so comfortable in using them that the last thing i would want to do is to sell it, as my local technician suggested. As he mentioned that this could well be the start of many problems to come, as brystons are known to have this intermittent DC leakage problem. repairing it could cost a bomb and i am not about to get it repaired every couple of years.

I am wondering if any of you bryston users have faced this problem before? Are there any other amps worth trying out with the NS10s?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have been running my 4B ST for 7 years now and never had a problem.
Bryston has a 20 year warranty on their amps, give them a call.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I have been running my 4B ST for 7 years now and never had a problem.
Bryston has a 20 year warranty on their amps, give them a call.

Hi tony, yeah mines about 7 years old too and its definetly still under warranty but im currently located in Asia. Would cost an arm for me to send it back to canada. The worst part is that the local dealer just gave up the dealership a couple of years ago and wound up his company.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search