The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transient Designer...Woah. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Transient Designer...Woah.

Seriously,

Not Keanu woah
Not Joey woah
Like holy crap w/ 4-wheel drive woah.

This 4-channel box has totally re-defined my entire 12'x14' studio. I've suddenly raised the size of my playing room like 20 feet.

I put the TD4 in my patchbay config even though I didn't have one yet. Now I wonder why I waited so long to go without such joy.

Any small studio recording without one is behind. I'm serious, this thing is the coolest thing since sliced bread. It'll blow your mind.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Indeed, its fun fun fun if you, like I, enjoy obliterating toms.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's pretty great.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Are there any decent plug versions? I've been interested in one for a while.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post
Indeed, its fun fun fun if you, like I, enjoy obliterating toms.
Oh man, drums were the first thing we tried.

It was like converting a cardboard box into a 2-story barn.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by i51423 View Post
Sonnox makes something similar.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

You know what, I have it and really haven't messed with it much. Seems like a simple concept, but how are you guys using it with drums- give me some examples- some starting points to work with.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

hey there...

to your knowledge the 2 channel version is the same right...just less channels or are there other differences?

thanx

jun
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Creamware SPL Transient Designer

here is the software one...but for only half the price of the 2 channel hardware you might as well go with the hardware its not so much anyway...

i wanna hear this thing and check it now ...

thanx

jun
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersound View Post
You know what, I have it and really haven't messed with it much. Seems like a simple concept, but how are you guys using it with drums- give me some examples- some starting points to work with.
here are some tips from the SPL people...I am sure this will come in handy:

The attack of a bass drum or a loop can be emphasised to increase the power and presence in the mix.
The sustain period of a snare or a reverb-flag can be shortened in a very musical way to obtain more transparency in the mix.
Recording a live drum set, toms or overheads can be shortened without physically damping them
Miking live drums is considerably faster and easier, because the apparent 'distance' of the microphone can be corrected by varying the ATTACK and SUSTAIN values.
The Transient Designer is a perfect partner to noise gates in live drum miking.
Corresponding adaptively to the duration of the original signal, the sustain can be shortened more musically than with tightly adjusted release times, effectively reducing crosstalk.
When recording live drums or other instruments on a HD recording system, the Transient Designer prevents time-consuming removing of crosstalk signals on the hard disk.
It is possible to create unusual dynamic effects, including new and interesting pan effects. If, for example, a mono loop is patched through two channels of the Transient Designer panned hard left and right in the mix, such that the left channel is processed with increased attack and reduced sustain while the right channel is adjusted in the opposite way, a very special stereo loop sound is created. You have to try this to appreciate what it sounds like, but expect to hear a lot of unusual stereo movement.
By reducing attack and increasing sustain, signals that are too up-front sounding can be moved back into the mix. Additionally the FX parts of 'too dry' signals are strengthened.
Drum sounds are easier to integrate into the mix. If the acoustic level of a snare is expanded to approximately +4dB by increasing the attack value, the effective increase of peak levels in the overall mix is merely about 0.5dB to 1dB.
thanx

jun
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here is a free one called Dominion: digitalfishphones.com - free audio effects plugins
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Junya- the application for toms gets me excited because they are always a PITA to get right. I'm gonna be doing a lot of drum micing over the next several months so I'll be firing up the TD.
Old 28th August 2007
If you have worked your ass of tuning drums, moving mic's etc and STILL have a toms set that goes..

(nice) Boooom!
(crappy) blat!
(nice) Baaaaahh!

You can use TD to make the middle tom, sustain like toms 1 & 3

Life saver.. I suppose on a very big budget album you could get a new kit (or two) in, but if you have to work quickly with what u got, its v handy IMHO
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junya-eskimo View Post
When recording live drums or other instruments on a HD recording system, the Transient Designer prevents time-consuming removing of crosstalk signals on the hard disk.
what the hell does that mean? crosstalk on the hard disk?!?!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
I dont know, i just ripped it off a site about the thang..I just saw here some one asked suggestions to i copy pasted it..

Jun
Old 28th August 2007
Wow, that has to be an English as a 2nd language website for sure! Total nonsense! heh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cubase 4 has a stock plug-in in it called Envelope Shaper. This plug-in does everthing transient designer does... and then some. I was blown away! Every person I have showed it to that uses a transient designer has done a double take. In many cases we even liked it better, and always liked it at least equally!

No bs here... seriously.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
When I read that, I was thinking that they used the term "hard disk" instead of "tape".

Sounds to me like they are talking about bleed on individual drum tracks.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Total nonsense! heh
that's what i thought!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
Here is a free one called Dominion: digitalfishphones.com - free audio effects plugins
Any opinions on these plugs? Am I right in guessing that the plugs would be nowhere close to the real thing?

Also, is it really true that the Transient Designer could make my drums sound like they were recorded in a bigger room with more ceiling height?

If so, this would be well worth the price for me.
Old 28th August 2007
Airwindows have a transient designer plugin, I forgot the name.
There is a sample to listen to the plugin working and sounds GREAT to my ears.
It's cheap too!!!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Any opinions on these plugs? Am I right in guessing that the plugs would be nowhere close to the real thing?

Also, is it really true that the Transient Designer could make my drums sound like they were recorded in a bigger room with more ceiling height?

The Transient Designer from my brief use of it makes my concrete room into an adjustable mosaic.

I already have a 12' high ceiling, this box pushes my drumset from 'enh' to 'amazing'. It suddenly sounds like it was recording in a pro environment. When removed, it's a laugh, I didn't realize how bad my drums sounded before. I mean, I knew they needed depth, but I didn't know it was a life or death scenario.

My recording life is a joke without the TD4. Honestly, if all my units were vintage and worth the same $. The TD4 would be held the closest.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah I saw one in 2001 in 301 studios Koln. Its been on my list ever since. Fantastic box.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Does any one here have the facilities to compare this TD4 (or 2) to the SSL Duende's Drumstrip plug-in?

I LOATHE the idea of buying the SSL plug (search the 'new prod announcement' forum if your curious why...its a long story!), BUT the plug-in is pretty amazing for what it does. It sounds phenominal and works better than anything I've ever tried.

I would love to have the SPL TD4, but can not afford it at the moment. I could probably afford the 2. To be honest, I'm not sure which is more logical. Given the fact that I would likely use a tool like this during mix time (as opposed to tracking with it), getting the 2 channel one would be sufficient, idf a bit cumbersome.

Once again, the SSL plug-in is pretty amazing though. I am committed to the Duende now, so buying Drumstrip is a probable eventuality.

I will try the free one here too, but I would love to hear from anyone with this, particular experience.

Thanks!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Cubase 4 has a stock plug-in in it called Envelope Shaper. This plug-in does everthing transient designer does... and then some. I was blown away! Every person I have showed it to that uses a transient designer has done a double take. In many cases we even liked it better, and always liked it at least equally!

No bs here... seriously.
Clips?

/megl
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post

Their compressors are OUTSTANDING!!

In fact, I consider them a bit of a 'not-so-secret- weapon for drum OHs during mix time.

I seriously can not believe they give them away. They have tons of 'retail' value, IMO. I'd happily pay $150 to $200 for the 'Fish fillet' compressor bundle. The Blockfish is the finest software compressor I've used for drum OH, IMO (and I own every UAD-1 comp and an SSL Duende!).
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sascha, the guy behind the blockfish and others, is also the guy designing the plugins for Samplitude and Sequoia. Magix has made the plugins available as VST. The transient plug is called AM-Pulse and can be found here - Samplitude, Sequoia, Sam for Rent
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Cubase 4 has a stock plug-in in it called Envelope Shaper.
+1 happy user here
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by megl View Post
Clips?
Here you go: "setting1" is a preset called "tighter drums", "setting2" is called "dirty room drums"

original.mp3

setting1.mp3

setting2.mp3
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Here you go: "setting1" is a preset called "tighter drums", "setting2" is called "dirty room drums"

Attachment 40200

Attachment 40201

Attachment 40202
Great! Thanks man, I'll give it a listen

Now we only need someone with the hardware Transient Designer to make a comparison ;-)

/megl

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search